Voiding factory warranty

S

soul2coal

I have an '08 blue model, and I just bought an FE. I didn't realize it though, but this particular one requires you to use after maket signals. I'm just worried that by cutting and splicing my signal wires, I might void some part of the warranty. Anyone care to comment? MATT

W

wrightme43

You will have to work very very hard to void your warranty. Worst case you take positive directly to ground and blow a fuse. Worst case after that. Fuse fails, wiring catches fire and your bike burns to the ground along with your garage. Thats about as bad as it gets.
The fuse will blow first. Promise.

S

soul2coal

I was just worried that they would use that as an excuse latter down the road if something happened to the speedo, lights, or anything else electrical in nature. Even though they are not on the same circuit, seperately fused, or not related in any way. I just didn't know how well dealers/yamaha reacted to mods on warrantied bikes. MATT

H

HavBlue

for a warranty to be voided they have to PROVE that what you did caused the problem.

Careful, that would depend on the language of the warranty. An example of this would be use of the words "no alteration." That doesn't mean you can't use your own oil if it meets their specs. It does mean you can't use different size tires, tap into wiring harnesses, upgrade fuse load levels and so on. We used to burn people all the time at Chevrolet in the 80's for harness issues.

Try this, it has been my experience that service managers at the dealer of record are not animals, they want your business at parts and so on. They will often give you information to help you in the mod especially if they find out you bought the accessory there. I even hooked up with a service manager at Harley that worked with me in an over sized tire issue. The whole thing is that when you seek advice from the people in the know it tends to go a long way in terms of what you can and can't get away with. Harley is the worst for this and they have no problem at all voiding all or part of a warranty for alteration.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Harley is the worst for this and they have no problem at all voiding all or part of a warranty for alteration.

Probably why Harleys fall apart all the time so!

This is a pretty interesting question, i'm fitting an aftermarket horn and i made my own electrical harness (professionally done of course!) but it could so easily be said that any problems that have arisen were due to the harness!

Ireland is quite strict on this sort of thing...if they cover you by warrenty they dont get your money and have to fill out paperwork, if you pay yourself...the transaction is complete once you hand over the money...no paperwork....so its a question that I have asked myself over and over again.

H

HavBlue

Probably why Harleys fall apart all the time so!

There's actually a good bit of truth to this as so many folks just throw things on there to be cool and in doing so they end up having an adverse effect on other systems hence the bike breaks. Harley then says, OK you bought it now....

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey here is a thought, how about you pick up the phone, call and ask them. The warranty dept is very friendly and has no problem answering any questions about how you can void your warranty.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I would fight tooth & nail if I was told that splicing wires voided the warranty. Geez, how could owners add an alarm system, mod the headlights, stereo, GPS, etc.? Now, of course, if the mod was determined to be the cause of a warranty claim then that would be different.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how motorcycle manufacturers handle this issue, but automotive manufacturers use a system called "Branding". If a vehicle comes into a dealership (for whatever reason) and has extensive modifications to the engine, engine management system,driveline, steering, suspension, etc., then a note is made of the modifications and these are forwarded to the manufacturer, who will then "Brand" the vehicle in the Warranty system. This does not mean that the vehicle now has no warranty. What it does mean is that if the vehicle experiences a component failure that can be directly attributed to the owner's modifications, then the manufacturer has a "leg to stand on" if it goes to court.
Adding aftermarket electrical/electronic components such as an alarm system, aftermarket audio, etc. may seem a relatively minor modification, but they CAN cause huge problems with the vehicle if they are not installed professionally.
I would say that installing aftermarket flashers (or any other type of aftermarket "fluff") would not cause any warranty issues with either the dealership or the manufacturer.
As "wrightme43" points out, the worst that can usually happen is that a fuse will blow.
Replacing internal engine/transmission/clutch components with aftermarket components may give the dealership/manufacturer grounds to give you grief if you experience a catastrophic failure, however.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you all think about exhaust? I just got my Y.E.S. warranty terms in the mail and they are pretty explicit about modifications voiding the warranty. I understand the aftermarket blinker mod being minor but exhaust could be perceived as major. Especially with a PCIII.

By the way, have any of you used the Y.E.S. warranty? Is it worth the money or should I bank on the reliability of the bike and get a refund?

Thanks,
Travis

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just worried that they would use that as an excuse latter down the road if something happened to the speedo, lights, or anything else electrical in nature. Even though they are not on the same circuit, seperately fused, or not related in any way. I just didn't know how well dealers/yamaha reacted to mods on warrantied bikes. MATT

Unless you pour sand in the crankcase, they will cover warranties. Yamaha wants to sell you another bike remember...

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK if you do any - and I mean any - modification to to your bike you have to tell your insurance company. About the only thing you don't need to tell them is if you get new tyres - and in some cases you still need to report if you change from the factory supplied type of tyre.

If you try to make a claim and you haven't reported all of your changes they can/will refuse to cover you.

Be warned.

H

HavBlue

If you try to make a claim and you haven't reported all of your changes they can/will refuse to cover you.

Be warned.

OK, why? What have the changes got to do with their insurance company? I could see it if you put things on and then said the bike was worth more so their pay-out should be more. Beyond that you're only insuring it for the fair market value.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
here is the question no one asked....why do you have to splice wires? If you just got o.e.m. type connections and connected to where the original lights hook up you could reverse it if need be. no warranty issues to be had.

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
As some of you have already read I just purchased a two brothers exhaust. I bought the bike new in April of this year. The bike is about 100 miles shy of the 600 mile break in service. My question is this; if I install the exhaust will I have any problems with the warranty? I just have the basic 1 year, but I was contemplating getting the extended warranty when it expires. I will be taking the bike to the dealer for the first service and I don't want to have any problems. Should I wait until after the break in service to install? Or will I be ok installing them beforehand. I would appreciate if anybody could advice me in this matter.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
You will have to work very very hard to void your warranty. Worst case you take positive directly to ground and blow a fuse. Worst case after that. Fuse fails, wiring catches fire and your bike burns to the ground along with your garage. Thats about as bad as it gets.
The fuse will blow first. Promise.

:rof: ... i found the 'house burns to the ground... thats about as bad as it gets' very entertaining.. thanks