Virginia to Deadhorse

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
So a bunch of buddies and myself are going to undertake a road trip from Virginia to Deadhorse AK. My ride is an 05 FZ6 with many mods. I took this bike from VA to San Francisco CA and back a few years ago, has about 12k on it. It is minty condition but since then I have installed R6 Forks, R6 brakes, Marchesini rims, Two brothers, Ohlins, modded fenders etc. It is setup for the street...but...I was looking at buying a used GS for the Alaska trip and trying to decide if I can turn the FZ into a dual sport. Wanted to know if anyone had installed spoked wheels? Will Yamaha Super Tenre wheels fit, any others, anyone else done this? Need a good set of dual sport tires, rear fender and some paniers that allow for two up riding. Even if I had to spend 2-3k to get the bike ready for the trip, it would be a savings vs. buying a used GS or some other dual sport for the journey.

Anyone do this?

Thanks -

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! After doing all those cool mods to your FZ it'd be a shame to strip it and start over. Nothing wrong with a couple of bikes.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excuse me? VA to Deadhorse! That's like 5000 miles each way. Holy trip of a lifetime, Batman.
How long do you guys have planned for this trip to the Arctic Circle? I would think two months minimum. Soooooo jealous!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy the GS for the trip unless you just want to prove that the FZ6 can do it. Take the trip and sell it when you're done unless you plan to take more trips like this. Depreciation would just be the cost of the "rental" for your trip and you'll still probably come out ahead of the mods on the FZ6 you'll want to do. The FZ6 is a great bike, but I just don't think it has the grunt to be a great long distance tourer, especially if you're planning on getting off the pavement. In addition to torque, dual sports have more ground clearance and more suspension travel which will be appreciated whenever you want to make use of their tread.

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I was not going to do anything that was not reversible so wheels/tires, adding the panniers etc. Part of me wants to take the bike since I road it cross country and back once already and this is another leg that would be a cool thing to have done on it. The haul road in Alaska is about the worst I would see, no real need for ground clearance or gobs of suspension travel. When I did the first cross country trip I stripped the bike down to the frame and cleaned and replaced anything that was needed so it is in showroom shape, would do the same with this trip after. All of this is part of the fun, project wise. I actually think the FZ6 is a great touring bike as is. I put over 8000 miles on it in a month last time and had no complaints, could cover 500-600 miles daily with no issues.

The other thing to consider is that I know the bike - well. I think the GS is probably the easy way to go albeit more $$, but then I wouldn't have a bike (the FZ6) that has done both journeys. I don't really plan to ever get rid of it.

This will be a bit of a whirlwind trip, bolt out to Denver with one buddy, pick up another there and then head north. 16 days is all that is planned.

I found panniers that will work with 2 up riders (my wife may do a leg with me at some point) I would like the spoke wheels though and need a good set of dual sport tires.

In my mind even if I need to go custom made wheels, and panniers still cheaper than a used GS. Only other consideration is heated gear since this will be September.

Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I say go for it. The FZ6 is an incredibly reliable bike, and it sounds like the satisfaction you'd get from doing it on the FZ6 is worth dealing with its shortcomings compared to a GS. Tell us what you eventually do to the bike.

Nolift911

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks - coming up blank on rims for this bike. Super Tenere is a rear shaft drive so that won't work. Also looking for some style points here to and a dual sport FZ would look super cool with the right mods...

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
How about the Continental Twinduro TKC80? They're available tubeless and in FZ6 sizes so you could still use your stock wheels.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
HELLS YEASSSSSS

Something similar is on my list for me and my FZ, although with the mileage on mine I have some reservations :(
id wire your cooling fan to a toggle switch (keep it so that the ecu can still kick on the fan tho!)
of course a 12v power source and your suspension should be plenty up to par.
Im so jealous right now. like so jealous.

Ill probably rebuild it and do it anyways!

GOOD luck and take all the pictures!!!!!