Very preliminary selling questions

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eventually I will, the more I ride the 6 though the more I love it, which I'm sure will be the same on a 1, but knowing me It will probably be a spur of the moment thing and also probably be a off season thing as well

I was once in love with my FZ6... well both of them! a 2005 (Now Pondrat's) and the 2008 which was with Dennis_in_NH but is now in someone else's hands. I really did like the 6 but after taking it to the limits on the Dragon, I came back and traded it the very next week for the FZ1. Never looked back, never sobbed, cried, wished, dreamed or even batted an eye on the FZ6. She was forgotten the moment I twisted the throttle on the FZ1 for the first time. For me, that is the difference... the FZ1 is everything the FZ6 was but does every bit of it better and faster. So much more to work with... adjustable suspension, torque, HP, charging system (runs a TON of stuff without running out the battery!), EASY to lower, aftermarket exhaust is cheaper (one can, not TWO).... The only gripe I have is the MPG and smaller tank. 110 - 120 FUN miles and I'm sweating for a fuel pump... 135 - 145 if I'm in touring mode....

You haven't shopped yet? Go, man, GO!!!!!

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Your gonna talk me into it damnit man!!
Stop it your putting money signs in my head that arnt in my wallet yet lol

I actually tried to get one a couple months ago, I found a good looking low mileage black 07 (everything I would be wanting-low miles because I rack em up quick, a 2nd gen just because everything I've herd and read says even as good as the 1st gen was the 2nd are that much better, and of course black because it's the best and proven fastest color. Although if the deal was right I'd take any color) anyways I found it on Craigslist, can't remember what the asking price was but I do remember he said he was also interested in trading for another bike, something different. So I sent him a offer of trading my bike for his with cash for the difference, but with the miles on my bike he acted like it had the plague or something. Figures since he bought his fz1 new in 07 and only managed to put 4,000 miles on it, and claimed to have never even come close to redlineing it....
I just kept thinking to myself what a waste of a wonderful machine, please let me put it to good use, please 'O' please let me put it to good use!!!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your gonna talk me into it damnit man!!
Stop it your putting money signs in my head that arnt in my wallet yet lol

I actually tried to get one a couple months ago, I found a good looking low mileage black 07 (everything I would be wanting-low miles because I rack em up quick, a 2nd gen just because everything I've herd and read says even as good as the 1st gen was the 2nd are that much better, and of course black because it's the best and proven fastest color. Although if the deal was right I'd take any color) anyways I found it on Craigslist, can't remember what the asking price was but I do remember he said he was also interested in trading for another bike, something different. So I sent him a offer of trading my bike for his with cash for the difference, but with the miles on my bike he acted like it had the plague or something. Figures since he bought his fz1 new in 07 and only managed to put 4,000 miles on it, and claimed to have never even come close to redlineing it....
I just kept thinking to myself what a waste of a wonderful machine, please let me put it to good use, please 'O' please let me put it to good use!!!

Now THAT would have been a sweet deal. We have some riders who have racked up serious miles on their FZ1s. We have one lady who is now well over 200,000 miles on her Gen I. We have several over 50k on a Gen II and at least one with over 75k that I know of. I'll get worried about 300k into mine. ;) Not a single person who has taken their bikes in at 26k for the valve adjustments have come back and said they needed it. These bikes are built to last and go for many tens of thousands of miles. 25k on an FZ1? I'm thinking it's finally broke in!

For reference, I think we can HONESTLY say the same for the FZ6 too. Who here has lost an engine due to failure (who maintained their bike)??

If you can swing it, and a sweet deal comes along, grab it. You'll absolutle love it and likely wonder.... why didn't I do this SOONER! Even my wife has come up through the bikes and has her own FZ1 now as you know....

GIT 'R DUN!!!!!

Did I mention the several FREE MODS to net you 140 HP right away? That is a fair amount of power to weight ratio considering she doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the FZ6!?!?!

I can see your wheels turning now! I KNOW you want one.... :rockon:

Yup... I'm a BAD influence! I like me that way. :spank: :thumbup:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha you are incredibly persuasive Cobalt! I'm not even remotely in the market for an FZ1 but you had me thinking about it for a minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha...you guys crack me up!

I got mine today! We got everything done and the seller (who lives about 15 miles from my house) offered to bring it over in his truck. I couldn't pass that up!

I took it out for a short shakedown run and, WOW...this thing is a complete ROCKET! Of course, it's got the full Yoshi exhaust and all of Ivan's mods already done, so it should be. But man...I'm absolutely IN LOVE!

I'll get some better pics eventually and post them up. But here's my stable of FZ's right now. The 6 will be going up for sale soon, so if anyone's interested, feel free to let me know.

Oh, and I transferred the Pazzo levers over just a little while ago. MUCH better than those ugly stock Yamaha levers. I'd forgotten how much I hated those things! :thumbup:

7ee67526.jpg

0c46b3dd.jpg

d2a729ef.jpg

And pictures from when I went to check it out yesterday:

3b5ba0e7.jpg

77d4f643.jpg

I absolutely LOVE those quick release SW-Motech racks for the Givi luggage that it came with. The go on and off so easy!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha you are incredibly persuasive Cobalt! I'm not even remotely in the market for an FZ1 but you had me thinking about it for a minute

If I could let you test ride mine, you'd be more than convinced. ;)

BTW, I just put in the Penske 8983 with the remote reservoir and a pair of Racetech springs to firm up the forks. The bike absolutely STICKS in the corners right now. I'm a new header and a Power Commander 5 away from pure bliss! :rockon:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cory! Nice!!! Congrats and welcome to the Liter Club!

Get some HEL SS lines on there quick. BIG difference in stopping power (but be careful cause I did a stoppie with mine.... )

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!! Love that dark gray color!

See, I knew I wasn't the only one noticing that! LOL. It's actually black...well, that's what Yamaha says, anyway. I commented that it was weird how the fairing and airbox cover are black, but the tank looks gray. He said that was a change Yamaha made on the '09 from the '08 model years. Apparently, the '08 model had a black gas tank, but in '09 they decided to go with the black fairing and airbox, but the dark gray tank. It really shows up in pictures, but under normal lighting, you don't notice it that much. '09 is, according to him, when they went away from the gold forks too. I'd have been ok with either black or gold forks, though I think the gold ones compliment the gold badges. But she is a beauty!

Cory! Nice!!! Congrats and welcome to the Liter Club!

Get some HEL SS lines on there quick. BIG difference in stopping power (but be careful cause I did a stoppie with mine.... )

LOL...I saw where you said that about the upgrade brake lines on yours. I did the SS lines on my FZ6 and it made a major difference, so I'm sure I'll do it on this one too. Are the HEL lines generally considered the best?

Thanks for the welcome to the liter club, Eric! :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Correct me if i am going mad, are they extra foot pegs at the front of the Fz1, Maybe for touring? i cant work it out

Haha...you're not going mad, KingY! Yep, those are "highway pegs" made by a member of FZ1-Forum called Satan666. They bolt to the unused engine mounts on either side of the FZ1 engine and are fantastic! I've always liked the idea of adding engine bars to my FZ6 and highway pegs so I could stretch my legs on longer rides, so these were exactly what I wanted (plus, they came already installed by the previous owner). They fold up right against the engine and you barely notice them. :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL...I saw where you said that about the upgrade brake lines on yours. I did the SS lines on my FZ6 and it made a major difference, so I'm sure I'll do it on this one too. Are the HEL lines generally considered the best?

Thanks for the welcome to the liter club, Eric! :thumbup:

I did a lot of questioning with members on several forums to find out who had the least amount of problems with what manufacturer's lines and everyone that installed HEL lines had the least issues and the best compliments. The biggest thing was discolored and rusted banjos and no one with HEL lines stepped up and said theirs had done either. :thumbup:

So I got the blue ones for my bike and the purple ones for Michele's bike. :D

And you're welcome!

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha...you're not going mad, KingY! Yep, those are "highway pegs" made by a member of FZ1-Forum called Satan666. They bolt to the unused engine mounts on either side of the FZ1 engine and are fantastic! I've always liked the idea of adding engine bars to my FZ6 and highway pegs so I could stretch my legs on longer rides, so these were exactly what I wanted (plus, they came already installed by the previous owner). They fold up right against the engine and you barely notice them. :thumbup:

LOL! NO!!!! Those are for the third passenger who sits on the tank! I'm tellin' ya... these FZ1's will HAUL SOME ARSE! Three of 'em to be exact! ;)

Seriously, those pegs are a great addition. You should black those out so they REALLY disappear! Norm has black ones on his 2008 FZ1 and unless you scrutinize the bike, you'd almost not notice them at all. :thumbup: