Velocity Stacks

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I'm thinking about but, need check quality of normal before running consideration. Do you wanna get top end power or fatter mid range? If I will do, I'll install little longer one for 36mm throttle body.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've haven't seen any as of yet. Need to break out Google I suppose.

I think the bigger question is how does a VS effect an FI system? Anyone know??? For carbs it can make a HUGE difference.

I assume we have some in our airbox, never looked, how do ours compare to the R6? I would assume VSs in the FZ are longer than the R6's.

Great question.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
According to parts list, FZ6's one is longer than R6's. I'm understanding this kind of part is influence filling efficiency - long one influence low and mid range and short one influence high speed engine roatation by air inertia(long one will be some fliction for high speed air flow). also curl shape of bell mouse influence. Latest R6 having variable velocity stacks(R1 also??).... Yoshimura finished to divelop "Dual Stacks" for TMR carb having long and short stacks character.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kumaj - You are correct. Longer VS help with mid-range and bottom end, short ones for top end.

As MadMan pointed out the FZ has the same diameter throttle bodies as the R6. I suppose the next question is can the FZ computer handle the change???

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder FZ6 ECU doesn't adjust fuel amount but, FZ6 has intake air pressure sensor.... . However, better shape and good length would helps some range because velocity in intake are inclease at some range(depends on shape and length). I guess to get perfect efficient, we need Power Commander.

Next month, I have big FZ6 owners meeting at "YAMAHA Comunication Plaza" and, "if" I can have opportunity to meet developper, I'll ask question to them.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to lower the tone, but is this too big.:D

torana3.jpg

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I might be wrong, but I thought that the R6 has variable intake stacks. They move down on to the TB during low to mid RPM and move up and away from the TB during high RPM. Thus giving the best of both worlds. I think it is called YCC-I (Yamaha Chip Controled Intake).

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bump!

Am interested to find out myself about velocity stack modifications for the FZ6...especially as i am about to mod my engine, and push capacity out to 636cc, raise compression, and change cams...

Does anyone know if any kits are made for the FZ6, or whether with the modifications i am planning, a change would be warranted in the length of the velocity stacks in the airbox???

Have had a bit of a google, but have hit walls so far!

:thumbup:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've also wondered about these in the past. I haven't seen any FZ6 specific ones, but I have seen 03-05 R6 ones, and if the TBs are they same size like Madman says, they should work assuming there is nothing in the airbox blocking them. You have a PC anyway to tune it afterward. For example Graves Motorsports makes some.

Graves Motorsports - Graves Motorsports Velocity Stack Kit Yamaha R6 (2003-04)

Also this place has a couple different designs:

03-05 yzf600 R6

They claim 3-5 hp gain in mid to high rpm and stock exhaust, better with aftermarket exhaust with the 2-piece stacks.