Variation of high mileage poll...

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
As the title suggest (and not really a poll).. However, who has the highest mileage FZ6 without any mechanical problems (this does not include normal maintenance items like, tune ups, tires, brakes, chain, coolant, spark plugs and such)...

I'll start (and pretty much at the bottom I would think)...

'09 with 8000kms no issues...

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
18,000 miles (~29,000 km) with nothing more then tires, a few oil changes (every 4,000 miles) and a coolant flush. The previous owner did replace the front pads at some point, and I replaced the rear at about 11,800 miles. Still have the original plugs, chain, and sprockets.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wanting to start a thread just like this. I am also curious what the "old timers" are like, and what issues have arisen over time.

F

FZ6 Naked!

2009 S2 with 4,300 miles and not a hitch! Fingers crossed for a looong, loooong time :thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
34736kms - original chain/sprockets, brake pads.

Bike in excellent condition, with no mechanical worries at all.

Cheers,
Rick

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only issue at beginning of ownership (2005 model) was cam chain tensioner changed at 4000 miles trying to identify Legendary FZ6 top end ticking noise.
Still on original chain and sprockets, original front brake pads.
Three sets of tyres, annual oil and filter change.
Still running great.
Nelly

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I just hit 22009 miles this morning.....only thing was the tps sensor recall.....*Knock on wood* :rockon:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title suggest (and not really a poll).. However, who has the highest mileage FZ6 without any mechanical problems (this does not include normal maintenance items like, tune ups, tires, brakes, chain, coolant, spark plugs and such)...

I'll start (and pretty much at the bottom I would think)...

'09 with 8000kms no issues...
I have also been wondering about this. The only significant issue with a high miler has been Kenny's FZ6. I am starting to think that a cam chain change at 50,000 miles would be a good idea?

Nelly

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
35,000 miles and no major problems.

I did have to change the front fork springs and oil at about 30k, but although it sounds early, suspension is routine in my opinion.

Not related to the poll, but related to maintenance: I'm going to get spanked for this, but I have the original brakes, air filter, spark plugs, coolant, chain, but all except for the brakes will get replaced this summer (I promise...)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I did have to change the front fork springs and oil at about 30k, but although it sounds early, suspension is routine in my opinion.

Not related to the poll, but related to maintenance: I'm going to get spanked for this, but I have the original brakes, air filter, spark plugs, coolant, chain, but all except for the brakes will get replaced this summer (I promise...)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Nelly
Another biker myth lol.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I put 30 something in mine with zero issues other than the TPS.

Dude, same air filter and coolant? Meh...maybe you don't see much dust at all but I have a hard time not changing coolant. All the rest are fine so long as they are NOT showing wear that calls for replacement.

I'm assuming you have not done a TB synch...it's highly recommended, easy, and free.

And when you say brakes, I hope you mean brake pads and rotors, not fluid. :)

Your chain is probably good for 100,000 with how clean you keep it. Haha

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously, I'm well beyond this figure now, that's miles by the way. Where should I start, I will try to go through a chronological order.

Steering Head Bearing went bad at 15,000. Upgraded to All Balls and Race Tech Springs.

Battery Regulator, rectifier whatever you want to call it gone bad around 60k. May have gone bad due multiple jump starts from my dead battery with a car that was running. Some say that wouldn't hurt it, others say it would.

70k miles, Crankshaft Position Sensor failure due to failure in Cam Chain Tensioner. Replaced sensor and tensioner.

75k miles. Left fork seal began leaking. Had both seals replaced.

76k miles. Crankshaft Position Sensor failure again. Replaced with new sensor.

76,500 miles. Crankshaft Position Sensor failure again. Replaced sensor, Cam Chain, Cam Chain Guides, Cam Chain Sprockets and conducted valve adjustment.

I am still on my original front brake pads, have gone through several rear pads. Still have stock rotor discs, but rear is out of limits. Will need replacing. Gone through multiple chains, headlamps, indicator bulbs, batteries, etc.

I'm still on my original oil and filter too. :Flip:
77777.jpg

Last edited:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2007 with 20,122 miles on it. Routine oil change, plus 3rd set of tires waiting to be installed. Still riding on BT 023's with 12,000 miles on it now (rear was plugged at 16-17,000miles). :BLAA:

^^^ Wow?!?! You go Man, that's awesome!! WOOT!

Last edited:

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
Great Thread.

I am a hair under 30,000 miles and outside of regular maintenance you speak of, I've never experienced a hiccup with the bike. Can't say the same for the Tiger 1050 I bought last year.

I adhere to the belief that fewer farkles is better for a bike's longevity. The moment you start tinkering with electrical or performance upgrades outside of things like steel brake lines, they eventually bite you in the ass, but don't tell that to third party vendors. Can you really improve on how Yamaha engineers configured the bike? My opinion is not unless you know very well what the hell you're doing.

All and all, it seems from reading a few other threads from all over the web that 70,000 miles seems to be the point of diminishing returns with our FZ6s.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
95,000km(07model) & I've only thrown expendables at it(tyres,brakes,oils,fluids,etc)Yes it does have a topend rattle,but nothing to outragess.Its in getting some accident damage fixed at the moment so I'll get a pic of the odo when I get it back.:thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put 30 something in mine with zero issues other than the TPS.

Dude, same air filter and coolant? Meh...maybe you don't see much dust at all but I have a hard time not changing coolant. All the rest are fine so long as they are NOT showing wear that calls for replacement.

I'm assuming you have not done a TB synch...it's highly recommended, easy, and free.

And when you say brakes, I hope you mean brake pads and rotors, not fluid. :)

Your chain is probably good for 100,000 with how clean you keep it. Haha

Haha, with the money I save on chains, I should be able to buy air filters and coolant, right? My temp never goes crazy and the bike seems to be running fine, so I'm hoping it's all good, but I know I'm waaaaay overdue on those. No TB synch or valve adjustment either, so I might put that on the summer list too.

I'm even going to replace the chain and sprockets, but only because I want the experience changing them ;)

And yes, I mean brake pads. I actually have changed the fluid believe it or not :thumbup: