Valve tap opinions

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a 2007 with ~12K on it.
For the last thousand miles its had a valve tap. Its not there when the bike is cold and it comes on as it warms up. It it only noticeable though certain RPM ranges, like between 3-5K then gone and comes back around 7k.

I bought the bike with about 10K about 8 months and didn't notice it. Did an oil change when I got it with Yamaha brand full syn 20w-50.

I have not checked the valve clearances yet but this kind of tap doesn't seem like something that would be cause by a a clearance issue and its way early. I plan on checking in the next few weeks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing the tap and if its normal so I know what to look for when I go in to check?

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
To clarify, it's a quiet tick, audible over the engine, but not a knocking. And I'm only assuming it's a valve thing based on its speed and general area.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that it's a completely normal sound for this bike. I've heard it at times and then not heard it at other times. Doing a throttle body sync seemed to help a bit, or I have just gotten so used to it that I don't notice it anymore.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering if it might be a loud injector or cam chain tensioner noise?

I would almost think if it where tappet noise it would get quieter as the engine warmed...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Likely the chain tensioner or lack there of. . . . You can add a manual adjuster for about $75 or so. Actual tappet tick from clearance is VERY consistent if that's what it is. The chain tension varies with temperature, RPM, and is very noticable at idle speed where the chain has momentary slack from the engine firing each cylinder.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The cam chain, on the right side will resonate thru out the engine and as Randy and Cliff noted, will act up at different times. A loose tappet should make the ticking noise constantly. Valve adjustments on this engine aren't due until over 25,000 miles and are usually in spec at that mileage.

The chain shouldn't be worn this soon, depending on how the PO maintained the bike, the automatic chain tensioner is more likely the culprit (spring lost tension).

Its not hard to change out, IMO, I'd stick with a NEW stock Yamaha unit. Make sure you replace the base gasket too..

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2007/FZ6+-+FZS6W/CAMSHAFT+CHAIN/parts.html

Its under cover part #6:
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear...2007/FZ6+-+FZS6W/CRANKCASE+COVER+1/parts.html

I'm not assosiated with the above company but found they have about the best prices on-line. I've ordered before from them without any issues.

Please post your results...

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
20w-50 is a little heavy for this time of the year maybe put some 10-40 in see if it makes a difference.

My FZ has always made different clicks, ticks and taps some come and go or maybe I just block them out. But I know 2 other FZ6 owners that have the same noises. Many other bikes are noisy also.

You may want to make a quick youtube video so people can hear it instead of everyone just guessing.

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! Its enough for me to hear that I shouldn't worry about it.
I have been planning on a switch to lower viscosity oil... best laid plans and all that. I had another project in the works that I just sold so I should have time now.

Thanks!