valve clearence?

bobdigi88

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just paid £430 for a new chain and sprocket and new tires.

In the manual it says to check/adjust valve clearence at 25, 000 miles. I'm at 28, 000.
Is it very important or can it wait a while?

I have no friend who know anything about bikes. And although good, I'm sure my local shop would tell me it's imperative.

So what do people here think?

Am I in for another financial hit? Or can it wait a while.

The bike seems to be running great, no over heating etc.

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience on these forums, a large majority of people did not find the need to have the clearances checked. Some ignored it until they were farther along in the service life, and still had only marginal changes in the clearances. Some checked right at 25,000 and found that they were still within spec. without any sign of problems coming about.

Of course, it is always better to be safe than sorry and do the service BEFORE something breaks, but depending how much your shop intends to charge, it may not be worth it just yet (especially with your recent expenditures!).

Edit: See here http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/46384-valve-clearances-fz6.html
You can run a search on the forum, it has been asked many many times!

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience on these forums, a large majority of people did not find the need to have the clearances checked. Some ignored it until they were farther along in the service life, and still had only marginal changes in the clearances. Some checked right at 25,000 and found that they were still within spec. without any sign of problems coming about.

Of course, it is always better to be safe than sorry and do the service BEFORE something breaks, but depending how much your shop intends to charge, it may not be worth it just yet (especially with your recent expenditures!).

What C.P. said. While you should do what your manual tells you, as I just wrote tonight on another post, FYI; I have a buddy who was a mechanic at two different shops and he said that he had never seen an FZ6 that needed it's valves adjusted. Do with this info what you will.