Valve adjustment check help

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Click on each link until you find FZ6 under the section that says This Item Fits the Following Applications:. Hot Cams 7.48mm Valve Shim Refill Package - 1.20mm - 1.45mm HCSHIM03
Hot Cams 7.48mm Complete Valve Shim Kit HCSHIM01
Hot Cams 7.48mm Valve Shim Refill Package - 1.50mm - 1.75mm HCSHIM04
Hot Cams 7.48mm Valve Shim Refill Package - 3.30mm - 3.50mm HCSHIM18
Hot Cams 7.48mm Valve Shim Refill Package - 3.00mm - 3.25mm HCSHIM17
Hot Cams 7.48mm Valve Shim Refill Package - 2.70mm - 2.95mm HCSHIM16
Hot Cams 7.48mm Valve Shim Refill Package - 2.10mm - 2.35mm HCSHIM06
Those all fit the FZ6. Not sure if I missed one. Pay attention to the year of the bike they fit, too, as yours might not be included. It also depends on how far out of spec your valves are as to which kit you might need to buy depending on the thickness of the shim.

Hopefully others will chime in also because I have yet to do a valve check on my fz.

Last edited:

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I can't a whole lot about these bikes as of yet, but I've got plenty of experience adjusting valves on 450MX bikes with OH cams.
Basically, if these are anything like those which I'm sure they are, you're going to have to set the motor to TDC then measure valve clearance on each valve. From there you will need to check the spec chart to see where you need to be, if you're out of clearance then you will have to do a little math to determine what shims are needed to get back in clearance.
On one of these bikes I'm guessing this will be no small task, crap I'm not even sure how you'd get access to the valves without practically tearing the bike down. Fortunately, I've only got 6400 miles on my '05 so I've got a while before I need to worry about this issue.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Quite a few people have said they checked the valve clearances at or over 42000kms and all was within spec - so you may end up buying shims for nothing.

Cheers,
Rick