Vacation that started so well (not moto-related)

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I disappeared for a week. My fiancee and I went on a backcountry camping to Yellowstone. We flew out to Bozeman, MT and from there headed to Yellowstone, camping at a backcountry site which is not too far away from Mammoth Hot Springs, using it as a base camp and driving around everyday, even taking a trip to Grand Teton NP, and leaving via northeastern entrance and Beartooth byway, which is undoubtedly the most beautiful drive I've seen in my life. Aside from my head being almost taken off on the day 1 by my fiancee for making her backpack out to backcountry (she did admit that it was worth it later), and snow coming down on the last day, it was amazing.

Unfortunately, on our way out we learned the news that our dog Kali who was staying with my parents got hit by a car and was in an emergency room. She was playing in the background with my dad when she saw a dog across the street and just took off, crossing into the front yard, and running across the road, which is a fairly busy street (route 111 in Trumbull) and got hit by a van. The next two days we spent in our hotel room making phone calls to the vets, my parents and airlines trying to coordinate everything. After 24 hours, the bills were already at $3k and projected cost of surgeries that she would need to get got to $7- 10k ( we didnt have pet insurance) we had to make the tough decision :-(

We got Kali last December at 10 weeks of age and she was just a bundle of joy - very happy, very energetic. She was supposed to be an australian shepherd, then Aussie/Catahoula Leopard Dog (that's what DNA test showed), then as she grew, we thought that she somewhat resembled Jack Russel Terrier, but at age of 6 months she was getting bigger than most of adult terriers, but not enough to be getting close to an aussie size of the same age. So, i referred to her lovingly as a "springbreak accident". She was a constant shedder, so there is an even layer of fur on the floor of our condo which, if collected, could be enough for two of her. If anybody is interested, here are more pics

After getting over the grief a little, we decided to get another puppy - I am still at home for now (looking for a job), so I have time to housetrain her and train her while she's young. So, yesterday we went out to one of the adoption events that happen at Petco and Petsmart around here and got us a puppy - she's a half shepherd half husky. The first thing she did when we got her into the car, was to climb up the arm onto my fiancee's shoulder and stick her head between the headrest and the seat, looking back. For the next 20 minutes, she (the dog, not my fiancee) explored all footwells (almost got into mine), all vents and all windows. Given this behavior we decided to call her Rhesus, for a monkey, but figured we needed a more friendly name, so we chose Reese. I said that Kali was energetic, but, this one is beyond energetic - I think if we can find a way to harness all this energy, we may be able to solve the world's energy problems.

Last edited:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear about Kali. what a terrible way to have to say good bye. Reese looks adorable! Good luck with the house training.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Beth said, I'm really sorry to hear about Kali....

and Reese is absolutely adorable!

And if you think Beartooth was fun to drive, try riding it! ;) wow.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry for your loss but I think it is great you got another adorable dog!!!

Good luck,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this and I can really relate at this point as I just put my pup to rest. Hang in there and our thoughts are with you!

I must say this brings back memories because when she was year old she needed hip and knee surgery as she got the short end of the genetic stick so we opted for darthoplasty (spelling) to keep her moving. I was a good chunk of change and we were rewarded with a loving companion for the next 11 years. Very heart breaking to see them go tho. . .