using the right gears..?!?!?!

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so i just posted, i wasn't sure if i should post a new thread, or.. just go on with my other one, but it was VERY much off topic, so i will post it here :)

So six speeds, and learning how to use them. Basically i heard ( at a yamaha dealership ) today, that if you are in 6th for example and you are going 30mph, and you pull the throttle all the way, this WILL damage the engine, is this true, and if so, is there like a guide to what gear you should be in per speed? like when i come out of a corner and i was doing 40 in 5th, ill drop it to 4th , then push it a little then shift back up to 5th, but this seems like alot of uneeded shifting, am i right in my presumption, or am i doing it right? also, is it true about open throttle in a high gear at low speeds? thanks :)

Really don't see how you're damaging your engine that way.

Just go with your gut feeling. I typically shift at 8000rpm just before the power starts to kick in... unless I'm overtaking or having fun!

Here's a shift chart from the 06 owners manual.
If you did it for a long time and especially at full throttle, lugging could cause a premature failure.
Check out the PDF I've attached. Ride with some experienced inline four rider. Go to youtube and watch videos of folks cruising with I4's and learn the sound. It'll give you an idea. The motor will tell you where it wants to live rpm wise.

Be one with the FZ6 and let the FZ6 be one with you Grassghoppa! :rockon:

Really don't see how you're damaging your engine that way.

Just go with your gut feeling. I typically shift at 8000rpm just before the power starts to kick in... unless I'm overtaking or having fun!

he said it had something to do with the pressure, because those pistons have to work 3, 4, 5 times as hard to push the motor at such a little gear, thus could possibly bend a rod.. again just what i was told, :Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash:

He is right that it is not good on an engine to lug it. That being said I find the FZ to be very forgiving. I always have to chuckle at the factory shift points as they always seem SOOOO low to me.

Marc

O WAIT, i remember my MAIN question now!!!! when comming to a stop DO i let the engine slow me down, or CAN i push the clutch in soon as i start, basically, can i push the clutch in WHENEVER i want and just coast, using my brakes to stop me only, like lets say im 100 feet away from a redlight, i just push my clutch in, slow down with breaks, and slowly shift down till im at a gear to take off in, or come to a stop.. ALWAYS wondered this.
Thanks.:BLAA::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash:

You can... But it's not safe for you in most circumstances.
use the motor to slow you down, keeping it in the proper revs. This way if you have to be in gear to accelerate (such as a car coming at you at ramming speed from behind) you are ready to twist it and rip it.
Play around and learn to "throttle blip" as you shift in to the next lower gear so the clutch doesn't bring the RPMs up to match the gear and speed and it will be perfectly smooth deceleration.
Lots of little things to learn and master with riding. Even just blipping the throttle down while maintaining a constant, smooth front brake pressure takes some new muscle memory to master.

You can... But it's not safe for you in most circumstances.
use the motor to slow you down, keeping it in the proper revs. This way if you have to be in gear to accelerate (such as a car coming at you at ramming speed from behind) you are ready to twist it and rip it.
Play around and learn to "throttle blip" as you shift in to the next lower gear so the clutch doesn't bring the RPMs up to match the gear and speed and it will be perfectly smooth deceleration.
Lots of little things to learn and master with riding. Even just blipping the throttle down while maintaining a constant, smooth front brake pressure takes some new muscle memory to master.
Thanks i just wasn't sure if it was "Safe" for the bike or not, but you have a valid point, ive seen 1 to many people get hit from the back, be it car, truck, suv, bike, gocart, w/e :( thanks. :))

Interesting, here in Sweden we drive most often cars with manual gearshifting.
So we learn from the start what we call enginebreaking.
But yeah, every new vehicle takes a while to master, good that we can help eachother out :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

yeah I agree it's a bad habit to coast with the clutch in,
it's best to get used to shifting up and down to keep
the engine in the proper RPM range for road speed...
and that little I4 sounds terrible when it's lugged

One VERY key thing to think of if you are around other vehicles is that while you will be slowing down quite a bit from engine braking, your brake lights won't be on giving no indication you are slowing down. This is a great way to get rear-ended.

I always try to gently hold the brake, just enough to turn the brake light on, while downshifting. Or at least flash the brakes before I downshift till I see them slowing. Keep eyes on the mirrors.

When we gear down, we drop 10mph pretty quick, that's a good push on the brakes in a big vehicle with an automatic tranny. Something to keep in mind.

One VERY key thing to think of if you are around other vehicles is that while you will be slowing down quite a bit from engine braking, your brake lights won't be on giving no indication you are slowing down. This is a great way to get rear-ended.

I always try to gently hold the brake, just enough to turn the brake light on, while downshifting. Or at least flash the brakes before I downshift till I see them slowing. Keep eyes on the mirrors.

When we gear down, we drop 10mph pretty quick, that's a good push on the brakes in a big vehicle with an automatic tranny. Something to keep in mind.

Yeah, forgot that point!
I always drag the rear brake enough the light comes on if I'm not using the brakes... And I also "flicker" the brake light so the vehicle behind me knows I'm about to start slowing down... It works great, 95% of the time they will start to slow down for me.

Watch your mirrors guys. When you come up to a stop, always plan it that you will have to gas it up next to the vehicle in front of you so you don't get pancaked.

Back