Using EZ Pass

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you use/secure EZPass on your bike. I've tried slipping it in a pocket, and holding it as I go through a toll, but there's gotta be a better solution.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I used my tank bag and that worked once...
Used my hand, that worked once...

Then they shut off my pass... They said that its really better to have a consistent mount... They sent me more velcro so I sucked it up and put it on my screen...

The dealer by me has a plastic holder I forgot how it worked but its supposed to be great, They charge $30 I thought it was a bit much so velcro it is

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never had a problem with it in my hand . I take it out of my pocket or tank bag and just hold it up as I go through....do the same in my car, since my velcro is in the one i just sold.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I wedge mine in the gap between my windshield and ferring .. works good and dont have to fish around for it... make sure its in there tight. The first time i set it in loose and it almost flew out.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
With my Ninja 250R I stuck it under the rear cowl and it worked fine. I have only used it once on my new FZ6 and I just jammed it under the windscreen. I wrapped some fat rubber bands around it to cover the Velcro and sort of hold it in place. That worked fine but I would like to do something like I did with the 250. It was nice to have it out of sight but still work fine. We shall see.

I can't imagine trying to pull it from a pocket and put it back while wearing gloves and watching for traffic. Droppage just seems a matter of time.

Tim

Last edited:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to put it in my tank bag (the plastic window on top). Now that I don't use my tank bag much, I tried to hook it to the center of the handle bar. It stayed there fine, but it did not register. The people at Illinios I-Pass said that I could just leave it in my pocket. I tried that in both my jacket pocket and in my mesh overpants pocket. This does not seem to register either.

I have velcro, but I'm scared that it is going to fall off....and what about rain??

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how the EZ Pass may differ from the Fastrak pass device here in California. Ours is about 3-1/2" square plastic puck thing, it's about a half inch thick. I mounted mine on the inside of the fairing on the left side. Just stuck it to the side with velcro. It gets read just fine.

I used to have mine mounted to the inside of the wind screen, but I like it inside the fairing better...

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
Twisted Throttle has an ez pass mount that fits on your handlebar. I have mine mounted right in the center. You could also mount it to the back of your windshield with the mounting velcro they supply. I swap mine between my car and bike so I wanted something easier.

Like this!

Z

Zealadin

You can get ones that will go around your upper arm over your jacket from some here, but I generally have it in a pocket and grab it out while on the FZ6.

On my old bike I just didn't bother, both the toll roads I use are not Government run (no fine enforcement), they have those dangerous wire fences everywhere, bus lanes that motorcycles specifically aren't allowed to use, are always traffic jammed because they didn't add enough lanes, and which the government allowed nearby feeder roads to be forced into connecting to, making more traffic jams STILL.
Oh and they generally don't make enough money anyway so the government subsidises them.
In other states motorcycles also use toll roads free, which if you ask me is fair, we take up less road, do ALOT less damage to it, are more environmental and are just a more conscientious about our travelling habits, since 99% of the cars on these roads have -1- person in them.
Also the toll passes are VERY unreliable on a bike, I tried several different mounts with velcro on my last bike, and they just generally don't go off and you end up with an inflated bill.

FazerNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Twisted Throttle has an ez pass mount that fits on your handlebar. I have mine mounted right in the center. You could also mount it to the back of your windshield with the mounting velcro they supply. I swap mine between my car and bike so I wanted something easier.

Like this!

That a JJ CyclePass
JJ Cycle Pass, a new, convenient way for motorcycle riders to use electronic toll passes such as EZ Pass, M-Tag, IPASS, and Smart-Tag

I've had mine for years and it works great.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
No clue what an EZ pass is

I'm not sure how the EZ Pass may differ from the Fastrak pass device here in California. Ours is about 3-1/2" square plastic puck thing, it's about a half inch thick.

Same idea. Different name.

Fast Pass, EZ Pass, Fast Trak, etc....they are all the same thing - a little box that tracks your trips through toll booths and charge you accordingly so you don't have to whip out a dollar every time you travel.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I've held mine in my hand, but the last time I tried using it, it didn't register. I was told to go through manned booths, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it.

Anyone ever run into that? Do you go through the EZ-Pass only lanes and let the computer read your plate and sort it out if it's not picked up?

novcadetshotz

Reaction score
Visit site
+1,000 on the JJ cyclepass. Had it for about two years now, no complaints. Easy to mount, easy to secure EZpass into.

Works WONDERS when I find myself going from DC to NYC.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone ever run into that?

Yep. On my old bike, I went to get on the Thruway, and just left it in my pocket thinking it would still be detected through a layer of leather. It didn't work. I had to actually stop slightly beyond the booth, pulled it out of my pocket, and started waving it around like this: :surrender:

A sympathetic tollbooth person came running out with a ticket so I could pay by cash at my destination.

I rarely (as in never, if I can possibly avoid it) take the Thruway on the bike, so for now I'm with the "hold it in the air" crowd, but the mounts or velcro sound ideal for someone who might take a toll road more frequently. That velcro stuff should be more than adequate to hold it in place. You can actually get more of it to secure the unit to a second vehicle for free if you call the Thruway authorities.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Like this!

I purchased a regular holder for the car, removed the suction cups and used the holes to zip tie it to the back side of the uprights that hold the handlebar. It's out of the way of the ignition there. I also zip tied the transponder into the holder. It always works. I'll try to post a picture of my setup. Here's a picture of the holder. I have a black one, not white.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. On my old bike, I went to get on the Thruway, and just left it in my pocket thinking it would still be detected through a layer of leather. It didn't work. I had to actually stop slightly beyond the booth, pulled it out of my pocket, and started waving it around like this: :surrender:

A sympathetic tollbooth person came running out with a ticket so I could pay by cash at my destination.

I rarely (as in never, if I can possibly avoid it) take the Thruway on the bike, so for now I'm with the "hold it in the air" crowd, but the mounts or velcro sound ideal for someone who might take a toll road more frequently. That velcro stuff should be more than adequate to hold it in place. You can actually get more of it to secure the unit to a second vehicle for free if you call the Thruway authorities.

The nice thing about using the EZpass on the thruway is that bikes gt a 50% discount.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same idea. Different name.

Fast Pass, EZ Pass, Fast Trak, etc....they are all the same thing - a little box that tracks your trips through toll booths and charge you accordingly so you don't have to whip out a dollar every time you travel.

Yeah, I figured as much.

The crazy thing about Fastrak is that car pools and motorcycles can cross bridges for free during morning and afternoon commute hours. Ok, nothing crazy about that, it's a nice enough deal. BUT you've got to go through the designated car pool lane, if there is one, to get the free toll deal.

Only in the dedicated, designated car pool lane will the sensor not dun you toll. If you happen to go through another lane, or if the bridge approach doesn't have a dedicated car pool lane, you've got to take your pass and put it inside of an anti-static bag to prevent it from charging you the toll. (um, yeah, that's gonna happen on my bike...) And they don't explicitly explain this anywhere on their site or other propaganda -- at least not the last time I checked. I had to call and ask a representative to verify this. Nice. Not.