US recommended insurance coverage

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Long time since I've posted. Being a new dad will do that. Plus, crappy winter weather in GA.

I'm shopping new insurance companies, and I realized I didn't pay much attention to the coverage that I currently have:

• Bodily injury / property damage liability -- $100K / $300K
  • Uninsured motorist coverage for bodily injury -- $100K / $300K
  • Uninsured motorist coverage for property damage -- $25K
  • Optional equipment / accessories -- $1K
  • Collision -- Actual cash value w/ $500 deductible
  • Comprehensive -- Actual cash value w/ $100 deductible

This costs me around $200/year with Allstate. I'm getting a Progressive quote now of about $241, but it's before I bundle other services through USAA.

Do these sound like the right coverages to have?

Is this about the right price for coverage at my rider experience level on an FZ6?

I'm a 2 year rider with 3 safety courses under my belt. I don't ride all the time, though. Daycare and iffy GA weather affect that.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Long time since I've posted. Being a new dad will do that. Plus, crappy winter weather in GA.

I'm shopping new insurance companies, and I realized I didn't pay much attention to the coverage that I currently have:

This costs me around $200/year with Allstate. I'm getting a Progressive quote now of about $241, but it's before I bundle other services through USAA.

Is this about the right price for coverage at my rider experience level on an FZ6?

I'm a 2 year rider with 3 safety courses under my belt. I don't ride all the time, though. Daycare and iffy GA weather affect that.

I don't have my card in my hand right now, but going from memory, that looks like better coverage than I have. The liability, collision and comprehensive are basically the same, but I don't have any accessories coverage. I think my monthly cost is over $50. Being young is the worst for insurance even though I've never had so much as a ticket or accident, never filed a claim, and I'm even on my mom's policy.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You probably get that down even more if you take some sort of a refresher motorcycle safety course, that's if your insurance company honors taking a class.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I asked about it, and my agent said they didn't honor it (my company is State Farm in case anyone else has them and they do in fact honor the course). The biggest problem is that I'm under the 25 year old age line. From what my agent said, rates will drop up to half just from turning 25. It doesn't make sense to me at all though. My rates shouldn't be based upon how the average under 25 male drives, when I have a squeaky clean record for four years now. But that discussion is for a completely different thread.

Edit: Just realized you may not have been talking to me. Well I responded anyway! Lol

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site

I have ALLState too but I had to pay $471, almost the same policy that you were quoted! (I'm in California though :) )

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have ALLState too but I had to pay $471, almost the same policy that you were quoted! (I'm in California though :) )

Well -- that's a bit of a relief. I'm paying $200 w/ house and auto insurance with Allstate, and I've been with them WAAAAAY too long. Never any reductions in premiums. Hence why I HAD wanted to move to USAA for all my insurance, starting with motorcycle.

However, this Progressive thing -- I dunno if they count that as part of a larger bundle of services.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Progressive. I pay about $15/month on the FZ6 for full coverage with $250 deductibles on Comp and Collision. Living away from major cities (70 miles to closest metro) helps as does a clean driving record, being married, 35 with a kid.

Your coverages seem good. $100K/$300K is pretty decent. Most states only require you to have $25K/$50K minimum insurance coverage. That said if some uninsured or hit-and-run A-hole hits you and you end up in the ER and hospital for a week that can easily approach $100K in medical costs so make sure you are covered!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Do not forget theft, it is one of the more important options to have when owning a motorcycle.

That is part of the "Comprehensive" portion of insurance policies.

Theft and collision...the 2 most likely claims with motorcycles.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Progressive. I pay about $15/month on the FZ6 for full coverage with $250 deductibles on Comp and Collision. Living away from major cities (70 miles to closest metro) helps as does a clean driving record, being married, 35 with a kid.

Your coverages seem good. $100K/$300K is pretty decent. Most states only require you to have $25K/$50K minimum insurance coverage. That said if some uninsured or hit-and-run A-hole hits you and you end up in the ER and hospital for a week that can easily approach $100K in medical costs so make sure you are covered!

So does $241 -- $20/month or so -- sound about right for those coverages in an urban area with a new married / parental rider age 40?

MasterOfPupets

Reaction score
Visit site
My insurance card doesn't have the coverage listed, but if I remember right it's about the same as your coverage (rolled up with 2 cars and homeowner's insurrance) for about $85 a year. I'm also 29 and married though, so that helps much more than it should.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
So does $241 -- $20/month or so -- sound about right for those coverages in an urban area with a new married / parental rider age 40?

It sounds decent for a major metro like ATL where the weather is usually good for riding 9-10 months/year. Now you also get like a 20% reduction in premium from Progressive if you bundle homeowners or auto insurance with them.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My insurance card doesn't have the coverage listed, but if I remember right it's about the same as your coverage (rolled up with 2 cars and homeowner's insurrance) for about $85 a year. I'm also 29 and married though, so that helps much more than it should.

Your rate is lower because the weather sucks in Ohio from October- April so you can't ride much for 50% of the year. ;)

MasterOfPupets

Reaction score
Visit site
Your rate is lower because the weather sucks in Ohio from October- April so you can't ride much for 50% of the year. ;)

While it's true I can'ride right now (hasn't been above freezing in almost a month) I bought my FZ6 in November and still already put 1k+ miles on it. Had a rather mild beginning to the winter. Even managed to get a nice couple hour ride in on Christmas Eve.

That being said, yes I do pay less for insurance because our riding season is shorter.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
While it's true I can'ride right now (hasn't been above freezing in almost a month) I bought my FZ6 in November and still already put 1k+ miles on it. Had a rather mild beginning to the winter. Even managed to get a nice couple hour ride in on Christmas Eve.

That being said, yes I do pay less for insurance because our riding season is shorter.

Yep! That's about right,,,I'm in CA, the insurance's doubled+ as Californian rides daily (golden state :rockon:)

I roll mine 70mile/day for commute, 4 days/week,,almost 1k mile/month.

There is different rate between pleasure v.s commute. If you state for pleasure, the rate is lower than for commute!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
There is different rate between pleasure v.s commute. If you state for pleasure, the rate is lower than for commute!

Yea see progressive never asked me that question about the bikes. Yes about cars but they just assume bikes are for pleasure use. those of us who commute on our bikes get a great deal on insurance! My weather isn't good for riding in January and February but I commute any other month if it's not raining or over 50 mph wind gusts.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
In Chicago I pay $150 ish for the cheapest policy through Progressive. I originally quoted it through Farmers since I have all my other policies through them, and it was $1k+. I'm 25+ havent had any claims in 7+ years.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds decent for a major metro like ATL where the weather is usually good for riding 9-10 months/year. Now you also get like a 20% reduction in premium from Progressive if you bundle homeowners or auto insurance with them.

We have Progressive. I just found out that you can reduce to just liability through the winter months if you aren't riding it. I would recommend it being stored somewhere secure too or leaving the comprehensive just in case. They will schedule certain dates for the coverage reduction and reinstatement for you. You can always call and increase it if you end up riding. We will be insuring 5 bikes really soon and that little savings will help a lot next winter. This winter has sucked so far, so we have actually been riding a lot over the winter. Normally we store them from Mid-November until late April.

MasterOfPupets

Reaction score
Visit site
We have Progressive. I just found out that you can reduce to just liability through the winter months if you aren't riding it. I would recommend it being stored somewhere secure too or leaving the comprehensive just in case. They will schedule certain dates for the coverage reduction and reinstatement for you. You can always call and increase it if you end up riding. We will be insuring 5 bikes really soon and that little savings will help a lot next winter. This winter has sucked so far, so we have actually been riding a lot over the winter. Normally we store them from Mid-November until late April.

I don't know about Nevada since you guys tend to have a shorter winter, but I know here in Ohio they pro-rate the cost based around the riding season specifically so they don't have people constantly calling and changing coverage over the winter.