Upgrading to a litre bike

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I'm really starting to think I want to upgrade to a 1000cc bike now. I was wondering if the forum has any thoughts on the differences and what I might expect when I throw a leg over the bigger bike.

David - Having done just that about 20 years ago and this year, it is bottomline, FUN! In the '80's I went from a 82 Yamaha XV550 (nee Vision) Vee Twin to an 81 Suzuki GS1100E. Several big differences, no pun intended, the GS weighed about 550 lbs wet, vs. 460 to 475 for the Vision. Power, 103 vs about 60 to 65. Comfort, the larger bike traveled over bumps much better and was great for touring and commuting. For hard sport riding it really didn't cut it due to the weight and the 1970's "technology". And you know me, that bike had every suspension mod that I could do.

Having recently gone from the FZ to the Buell very similar experiences, much more power, much better handling, but less comfort. The suspension is stiffer, much shorter wheelbase and a very sporty position (but not Ducati stupid). The weight in this case is very similar (440 wet for the 1125 vs. 460ish on the 6), but the Buell has a lower center of gravity because the fuel is in the frame. That said, the mass of the bike is wider for that same reason.

I've noticed that the bits and pieces on a liter sport bikes (not cruisers - cruiser are the polar opposite) tend to be of a higher to much higher quality than the FZ6; tires, foot and hand controls, brackets, fasteners, etc. You also get, usually, a much better and more adjustable suspension (my main pet peeve). Other areas are typically a higher level of technology for the motor; namely fuel management systems, air induction and better quality exhaust materials. With that comes larger expenses; larger purchase price, higher fuel costs, insurance, tire wear, etc.

Riding is very fun, even for your daily commute. With a liter bike you simply twist the throttle and you go. You're not continually looking to see if you are in the correct power band and down shifting. That said you must employ serious throttle discipline. It is soooooo easy to say F*CK IT and whick it on. Not a safe thing or a smart thing to do.

In hind sight if I would have purchased an FZ1 instead of the FZ6 I would have had the same amount of cost when the FZ6 mods are factored in. Once I get the fueling figured out on the Buell, I am done with mods, except for a higher handle bar solution. So the net-net can be about the same.

If a new bike fits the budget I'd say do it, but obviously you're the only one who can answer that question.

Last edited:
Dang! Must be the motorcyclists' version of Spring Fever. Seems like half the board (including me) is looking at (or daydreaming about, or for a lucky few - just bought) litre bikes! :Sport:

If you have the money to spend go for the Honda CBR 1000RR with ABS. You'll be glad you got ABS.

David - Having done just that about 20 years ago and this year, it is bottomline, FUN! In the '80's I went from a 82 Yamaha XV550 (nee Vision) Vee Twin to an 81 Suzuki GS1100E. Several big differences, no pun intended, the GS weighed about 550 lbs wet, vs. 460 to 475 for the Vision. Power, 103 vs about 60 to 65. Comfort, the larger bike traveled over bumps much better and was great for touring and commuting. For hard sport riding it really didn't cut it due to the weight and the 1970's "technology". And you know me, that bike had every suspension mod that I could do.

Having recently gone from the FZ to the Buell very similar experiences, much more power, much better handling, but less comfort. The suspension is stiffer, much shorter wheelbase and a very sporty position (but not Ducati stupid). The weight in this case is very similar (440 wet for the 1125 vs. 460ish on the 6), but the Buell has a lower center of gravity because the fuel is in the frame. That said, the mass of the bike is wider for that same reason.

I've noticed that the bits and pieces on a liter sport bikes (not cruisers - cruiser are the polar opposite) tend to be of a higher to much higher quality than the FZ6; tires, foot and hand controls, brackets, fasteners, etc. You also get, usually, a much better and more adjustable suspension (my main pet peeve). Other areas are typically a higher level of technology for the motor; namely fuel management systems, air induction and better quality exhaust materials. With that comes larger expenses; larger purchase price, higher fuel costs, insurance, tire wear, etc.

Riding is very fun, even for your daily commute. With a liter bike you simply twist the throttle and you go. You're not continually looking to see if you are in the correct power band and down shifting. That said you must employ serious throttle discipline. It is soooooo easy to say F*CK IT and whick it on. Not a safe thing or a smart thing to do.

In hind sight if I would have purchased an FZ1 instead of the FZ6 I would have had the same amount of cost when the FZ6 mods are factored in. Once I get the fueling figured out on the Buell, I am done with mods, except for a higher handle bar solution. So the net-net can be about the same.

If a new bike fits the budget I'd say do it, but obviously you're the only one who can answer that question.

Thanks Pete. I'm seriously looking at the FZ1 or the Triumph Sprint ST. I do a lot of pillion riding with the Mrs and I've found that all the staff in my office like to grab rides back from client meetings when the weather is nice, so I end up carrying all sorts of people around. The FZ6 is a great bike - but for me. I'm not too keen on it with a pillion.

I also have a bit more confidence now and think I could probably manage a more powerful bike. Taking the Ride Safe day and getting very good feedback about my riding technique has also helped.

I was secretly hoping to hear a couple of stories like, "Yeah on the first day I got my big bike I flipped it drag racing at a light. Be careful of the extra power cuz the bike wheelies a LOT easier." :rockon:

Get the FZ1 over the Sprint. My friend was really considering a Sprint the other day, but man that thing was HUGE and definitely a lot heavier. More Touring than Sport.

Great writeup Pete, thanks!

I was secretly hoping to hear a couple of stories like, "Yeah on the first day I got my big bike I flipped it drag racing at a light. Be careful of the extra power cuz the bike wheelies a LOT easier." :rockon:

Oh they do wheelie easily, just twist! At Willow Springs my bike was wheeliein g on the exit from turn 6 as I shifted from 3rd to 4th, could have been 2nd to 3rd, be regardless without trying the wheel will come up. :eek:

I went the opposite way, from a 1000cc Ducati Monster to the FZ6. The torque of the Ducati was very nice, but the all round usability of the FZ6 had me sold.

So it all depends on your priorities. And remember running a 1000cc bike will cost more to run generally.

Winter in Northern Michigan is my most difficult time of year. Foot upon foot of snow piles up and my FZ6 stays hidden in the garage November through April.

I must admit that my FZ6 loyalty sometimes wanders that time of year. I've often thought of getting an FZ1, or even a bit more exotic with an Aprilia Tuono. Once Spring arrives, my senses return to normal and I fall back in love with my 2008 Fizzer. In time, I could see myself on a bigger bike but I'm not sure if I'll ever make the leap to the 1000 cc territory.

I would really like to ride a Triumph Street Triple 675 R. The only other bike on my short list is the Honda Interceptor with their sweet V-4 engine.

David, the FZ1 is sort of like the FZ6. It certainly has all the things you like about the 6 built-in. For two-up, this bike is effortless. The 6 grunts a lot with the added weight while the 1 seems to take it in stride. The suspension is very adjustable, though not as much as the R1 but some sacrifices are made when you choose touring over pure sport. You can make the FZ1 very soft or very rigid with a few adjustments.

If you're worried about twisting the throttle and being flat on your back, the FZ1 is the bike you'll like because like the FZ6, it's not a bottom-end bike. Sure, if you wind it up to 8k and dump the clutch at the light, it likely will land on top of you but a normal "fast" start is like the FZ6, just happens a lot quicker. You get from zero to ticket about 400cc's faster.

Moving up is all about throttle control. You'll need to learn the bike's power and how to use it without abusing it. I can tell you that if you hit an apex and go straight to WOT, the rear will become the front of the bike before you can let go. Throttle finesse and practice with controlled "rolling-on" is what you need to concentrate on.

It is a big step but if you respect the new bike and go through a respect/learning curve with it, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Got to think about the insurance hike also.
Yeah, weigh up the extra costs to make sure you can afford it before jumping in. Bike insurance costs in the UK are pretty rediculous, especially the higher up you go. And of course, seeing as we are getting raped on fuel costs the extra 400cc gobbling up your petrol will hurt. And of course, there is the extra cost of buying the more expensive bike in the first place! :eek: Plus, will you get higher congestion charges in London with a bigger bike? Oh yeah, tax is more too!

Sorry to be negative, but in "the credit crunch" you gotta look the depressing money side too!

I'm kinda depressing myself too now! When my finance is paid up on the FZ6, I'm thinking either a VFR 800 or the FZ1 would be my next purchase! :( Course, if you upgrade to a shiny new FZ1 with ABS, you'll be smiling a hell of lot of the time too! :D I'd miss the funky underseat exhaust though. :(

I hope your insurance is as nice to you as mine. I went up $11 a month so I'm paying $493 a year and that is full coverage, $250 deductible and 100/300/100 coverage.

I'm really starting to think I want to upgrade to a 1000cc bike now. I was wondering if the forum has any thoughts on the differences and what I might expect when I throw a leg over the bigger bike.

Uh-oh! You got bit by the bug... You know that it only has one cure... ;)

I am glad someone brought up some of the downsides to a larger bike. Obviously is the increase in insurance, then the decrease in mpg, then you have the extra weight of the bike, possible increase in maintenance costs because as we know the fzz6 is really a low maintenance bike especially if we are talking about a tuono. Mentioned also was a street triple, rode one did not impress me and the dealer network of aprilia is almost non existent and triumph is a little better. The other downside of course is the cost of the bike itself. Also the fz1 and the buell are famous for being cookers(throwing off alot of heat on the rider). Ride what you want because you want to but you don't have to step on the fz6 on the way to your next bike. The fz6 probably does more things well than any other bike out there. Ride safe and enjoy the ride. Everett

If you are even thinking about getting a liter bike, you should get it as long as the bike fits you.

Before I bought the FZ6, I was looking at an FZ1. But I did not fit the bike. Being 5'10" (and having a 30" inseam) it was work just tippy toeing the FZ1. The bike I wanted, a Suzuki SV1000s, I did not fit either. For some reason liter bikes are built for people over 6 feet tall. Yes I could lower the bikes and put clip on risers on, but that is a lot of messing around to make me fit. Not that I am knocking the FZ6, I just wish the two bikes shared the same suspension. To me that would make the 6 much more appealing as step up bike.

Once the FZ6 is paid for, I may have to get a Buell XB12XT Ulysses. Buell seems to be the only sport bike maker that understands that not every one is over 6 feet tall, and that short people should be able to enjoy a fast bike too! That and 84 ft. lbs. of torque in a 450 lb bike is very intoxicating!:rockon:

I have driven a ZX-14 and a Hyabusa too. None of these bike had explosive power. All had smooth throttle response and a very linear, tractable power band. If the added insurance and purchase price does not bother you, GET IT!!:D

You mentioned the Sprint ST. My dad has an 07 Tiger 1050. Its upgraded big time from the 06. Masses of torque. Great 2 up. Super smooth engine. The Tiger, The Sprint, and the Speed triple all have that awesome 1050 motor.

Back