Unknown hose split

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow forum participants.

I am selling the Fizzer. Thankfully, I am selling it to my brother, so I will know it is treated well.

But during the pre-sale check, I detected a problem.

Out if the back of the gearbox, directly in front of the underseat storage, there is a little L adaptor, with a small rubber hose that runs up to the R side of the bike. It appears the hose has been bent to one side, and has cracked, almost completely in two.

My first guess is that it is a PCV valve, and the hose runs up to the airbox.

At least that is what I'm hoping!

Can someone please confirm? The L adaptor comes out of the middle of the bike, joins the hose and is approximately 5/16ths in diameter.

I'm hoping it is just a PCV, as then it's not crucial, and can just be vented into the atmosphere.

I have looked in the manual, but can't seem to find it - so can anyone help please?

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
cant help with your query Rick, maybe bonemans site for definitive manuals.
but i am interested in what yr progressing to in the way of transportation

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like it could be one of the 4 small hoses that are used to sync the throttle bodies. If you toss a picture up, it will be much easier to identify it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is an S2 //2008 but is it the longer hose shown here? I hope you're not on dusty roads much!!! If so, yes, PCV and I'd fix it and opt for an oil & filter change. bike could be inhaling debris through the crack! :eek:

picture.php

Another view looking down:
picture.php

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

The hose is situated in front of the rear wheel, from the back of the gearbox, and runs up toward the front of the bike, on the right side.

It is a single hose, and not from the throttle bodies...

If you look from the side, through the gap between the frame and back of the motor, it comes out behind the gearbox, about the midsection of the motor.

The hose runs directly in front of the underseat tool storage, and the the L adaptor is about a half inch below that.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the general area, however it looks a bit different on my S1.

I'll have to try to take a pic when I finish work tonight.

Cheers,
Rick

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not ditch it completely, but as my brothers need is greater at the moment, it's his for the foreseeable.

Cheers,
Rick
Answered like a true brother, I wish him a safe and happy ownership.
Ask him to join up, and don't be a stranger. It was nice getting to chat to you on the interweb.

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pg. 12 of the supplemental service manual should answer your question. If you pm me at my username at gmail, I can send it to you.

Page 7 of the addendum shows item T, but that is the clip that holds the fuel overflow from the fuel tank, located behind this particular lead.

The lead I am referring to is screwed into the back of the engine, in front of that clip.

The more I think about it, it almost HAS to be a PCV valve - I can't see why else you'd have a pipe coming from the gearbox.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

As seen in the pic, it is not a fuel hose.

It comes out of the back of the gearbox, in front of the water bottle, and heads up.

Any ideas are most welcome!

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked my 2007 (S2), there is NO hose back there (US version at least)..

I'd just follow it upwards and see where it goes. It has to be replaced anyway..

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

As seen in the pic, it is not a fuel hose.

It comes out of the back of the gearbox, in front of the water bottle, and heads up.

Any ideas are most welcome!

Cheers,
Rick
Looking at the Haynes manual and your picture it looks like it might be the neutral switch?

Nelly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This?

ery5emu5.jpg

Taken from above rear wheel on throttle side towards back of motor.

Daves picture above IS the neutral safety switch (and single wire connector). It does have a single wire going to it, but definitly NOT a hose (mine has the same as Daves)..

You may have to look closer and just see if the design is different than the S2's.

The neutral switch looks like a typical switch that screws into the block (closer to the right side), about a 14 or 15mm wrench size fit the switch to R&R...

Part #7 is the switch and WIRE to it for an 05:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram

A link with a close up pic of a broken switch:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/50609-neutral-switch-leaking-oil.html

**The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced, its not a hose but the neutral safety switch wire, just with a different end to snap onto the switch...

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Daves picture above IS the neutral safety switch (and single wire connector). It does have a single wire going to it, but definitly NOT a hose (mine has the same as Daves)..

You may have to look closer and just see if the design is different than the S2's.

The neutral switch looks like a typical switch that screws into the block (closer to the right side), about a 14 or 15mm wrench size fit the switch to R&R...

Part #7 is the switch and WIRE to it for an 05:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram

A link with a close up pic of a broken switch:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/50609-neutral-switch-leaking-oil.html

**The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced, its not a hose but the neutral safety switch wire, just with a different end to snap onto the switch...
Ricks picture looks like mine also the S1 model. I think I am correct in thinking its the neutral switch.
It's so bloody tight to get in there with a camera but with a flashlight I can see it pretty well.
Nelly

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
For what it's worth, here is another view of the neutral switch on an S2. The protective sleeve, which looks like a hose, over the wire is pulled back a bit exposing the light blue wire. Maybe that is what you see on your S1.

Last edited: