Uncomfortable seat

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I was good for about 2-3 hours on mine, but after that I wanted off the bike. This is pretty common, and I knew this before I bought the bike, so it wasn't a big deal. I just had mine redone by Spenser's Seat Mods. There a thread laying around here about this, do a search for spensers seat mod and you should fine it. It was just updated yesterday.

Edit - Weird, searching for "Spensers Seat Mod" only displayed this thread. Here's the thread I was talking about...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/39811-spencer-seat-modification.html

Last edited:

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a Top Saddlery this year and I LOVE it!

-also...search feature can be helpful.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out Spencer's seat mod. Used that modded seat on a 1800 mile trip. Still going to be a firm seat but remarkably better than stock. Price is reasonable too and he is an easy guy to work with. Highly recommended!!

Page 1

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
I find it fine for a few hours but then I feel like my ass is broken. But taking a break and walking around fixes me right up.

I'm considering a Top Saddlery, but the reviews of the Corbin have been awful saying it might take 2500 miles to "break in" and that it might never break in.

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently breaking in my Spen-Mod seat. So far it's a major improvement but the biggest difference I've noticed so far is it seems to have eliminated the dreaded TRU* that the stock seat is notorious for.

For what it's worth, I think the stock seat is actually better than the Yamaha Comfort Seat.

* Testicular Roll-Under

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it fine for a few hours but then I feel like my ass is broken. But taking a break and walking around fixes me right up.

I'm considering a Top Saddlery, but the reviews of the Corbin have been awful saying it might take 2500 miles to "break in" and that it might never break in.

Here's the GENERAL rule-of-thumb (gleaned from years around this forum)...and I've got a Corbin (and had a Yamaha Comfort Seat for a while)...

If you're a heavier rider, the Corbin is the way to go. It's very firm, and that seems to work well for bigger guys (like me). The TS seat, on the other hand, seems to work for just about everyone, although if you're short, it might be a problem. It's a bit thicker than the Corbin or stock seat, so leg-length could be an issue.

One way to overcome the break-in period is to NOT buy new. Corbin seats come up for sale around here all the time, so finding one is just a matter of having some patience. That way, you let the previous owner do the breaking in and you don't pay full price. The best of both worlds!

FYI, I got my Corbin second hand from another member here for $185...shipped. While you might not find a deal THAT good, you can certainly find one for $250 or so.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the GENERAL rule-of-thumb (gleaned from years around this forum)...and I've got a Corbin (and had a Yamaha Comfort Seat for a while)...

If you're a heavier rider, the Corbin is the way to go. It's very firm, and that seems to work well for bigger guys (like me). The TS seat, on the other hand, seems to work for just about everyone, although if you're short, it might be a problem. It's a bit thicker than the Corbin or stock seat, so leg-length could be an issue.

One way to overcome the break-in period is to NOT buy new. Corbin seats come up for sale around here all the time, so finding one is just a matter of having some patience. That way, you let the previous owner do the breaking in and you don't pay full price. The best of both worlds!

FYI, I got my Corbin second hand from another member here for $185...shipped. While you might not find a deal THAT good, you can certainly find one for $250 or so.

I'm not especially heavy. I weight ~175 lbs and I'm 6'. I don't see myself buying a Corbin. Honestly you'd think more MFGs would put in a stock seat that was comfortable out of the box.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Currently breaking in my Spen-Mod seat. So far it's a major improvement but the biggest difference I've noticed so far is it seems to have eliminated the dreaded TRU* that the stock seat is notorious for.

For what it's worth, I think the stock seat is actually better than the Yamaha Comfort Seat.

* Testicular Roll-Under

+1 on the "comfort seat"!

I bought one shortly after getting the bike...I put just about 1k miles of8+ hour rides on it and it didnt get any better, in fact, it hurt worse and sooner.

I sold it and used the stocker again....Did the same 8+ hour ride and never had a problem since. I still plan to do the Spencer mod tho.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
manufacturers don't have to include good seats. when sitting on bikes in dealerships or taking short demo rides any seat will be good enough to sell the bike. usually people shopping for sportbikes have several other factors that are more important than long term seat comfort. but... it would be nice if they tried a little harder.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not especially heavy. I weight ~175 lbs and I'm 6'. I don't see myself buying a Corbin. Honestly you'd think more MFGs would put in a stock seat that was comfortable out of the box.

That's not heavy at all. I'm talking MY size...6' 235 lbs. For me, the Corbin works perfectly, but with everything comfort-related, YMMV.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 stocker isn't too bad. Then again, anything's better than the plank of wood that is the SV650 stock seat. I'll probably cut out some foam and throw in some gel and see how that works. Once I get the scratch, I'll throw in for a TS or Corbin.