UK Tyres

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok this may be in the wrong place, but hopefully the mod can move it if needs be...

Ive been reading loads of reviews on tyres on this site and they all seem really good reviews, credit to the authors and all that, but they're all stateside, or in Oz.

So Im just wondering what the rest of you Brits think?

We all know that our road conditions are unique, and we have different surfacing compared to the states (not sure about Oz as I've never been there) that and the fact that our roads are realtively cold compared to elsewhere.

Just thought I'd spark a discussion to see what the best rubber is on our little island ;)

By the by, I'm impartial as I'm currently bikeless :(

So........UK Tyres: Discuss

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My original OEM Bridgestones used to slip and slide at the back all the time, my BT-016s are amazing, like blu-tak, but I'm no commuter so I'm not sure how long they are going to last.

gav

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got Michelin Pilot Road 2 tyres on my bike, but I've not had it long and haven't pushed it to the limits since I've not long passed my test so I'm afraid I can't give a very helpful review of them.

I'd be interested to see what other people run and what their opinions are of the Michelin's though.

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got this bit of info from the fazer owners club site:

"Because customer safety is its primary concern, and as a precautionary measure, Michelin asks any rider with front tyres 120/70 ZR17 Pilot Power 2CT and 120/70 ZR17 Pilot Power Made in France (visible on the tyre's sidewall) to call 0800 454 774 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 0800 454 774 end_of_the_skype_highlighting to arrange for a free of charge replacement, whatever the wear on the tyre."

Heres a link to the page ;)

http://foc-u.co.uk/new/news.php

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Pilot Road 2's. I changed the original tyres for these after 7000 miles and they were a vast improvement. Done 3000 miles on these ones and they feel much more planted. I'd certainly recommend them.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, at the risk of sounding cheap... I'm using Maxxis Supermaxx. And I've been very pleased with them so far.

Normally I am something of a rubber fetishist. I can talk about tyres all day, and would rather poke my eyes out than run on a budget brand. But I got fed up of the poor treadlife on the Dunlop Qualifiers (3000 miles on the rear and they were on the wear bars), and wanted a more sport-touring set up, with the emphasis on the touring part.

The Maxxis were certainly cheap - £130 for two, inc. fitting. And the treadlife is way better than the Dunlops. I've done 5000 miles on them and they are not even half-way worn.

Grip is really not bad at all. I've never felt they lacked confidence yet, but I don't push it all the time, so they are fine for what I need. Just as good as the Qualifiers in the wet as well, although not as sticky as them in the dry.

Last edited:

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
The missus has stuck with the Bridgestone BT020gg for years, only recently changing to the Avon Storms as she heard they have a harder centre section (she commutes along the M4 from Newbury to central London and back every day). She's quite pleased with them so far, but has only done a few hundred miles, though they have been in both very dry and very wet conditions.

I wanted her to try the Metzeler Z6 which I know worked really well on my old FZS600 Fazer, and I currently have them on my Falco as well, but she doesn't like the way there's no wear indicator round the centre of the rear tyre, you only know it needs replacing when the next ply down starts to show through.

rebel1974

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on avon storms, good price and plenty miles putta them. they grip just fine in the dry and the wet and i like to play hard on my fz6 and have never had any issues with em on the twisties. this is my second set of storms after trying various others, bridgestone bt021, dunlop roadsmarts, dunlop sportsmax etc. i feel the avon storms hit the spot between price compromise to performance, but each to there own eh. :rockon:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not in the UK but I am not in the US or Oz either.

Am I the only Fazer rider in the world running BT-010?

Fabulous tyres.

Don't know about SA Andz,but they were discontinued over her some time back.
I used to use 010's on my KTM Duke2 about 3 years ago. Great tyres :thumbup:

I've got Pirelli Diablo Corsa's on at the mo' and will be exchanging for the same,but going back to a 180,instead of the 190 on the rear.Tons of grip and never once got out of shape doing things I probably shouldn't ;)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Pilot Road 2's. I changed the original tyres for these after 7000 miles and they were a vast improvement. Done 3000 miles on these ones and they feel much more planted. I'd certainly recommend them.
+100 on these! They're the best sport touring tyre you can get in whatever country you're in. They cost the most, but they're worth it for regular riders - especially with lots of motorway riding etc due to the harder centre and grippy sides. All reviews say these blow the rest away. People with other bikes tend to like them a lot too. Good in the wet too.

It all depends on your riding of course, but if you do lots of commuting/riding in straight lines - with a bit of curvey roads as well. These are best. There are various sport tyres if you're barely ever going in a straight line!

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I'll second that. I'm on my third set of Maxxis Supermaxx, although the price has steadily crept up from £150 a pair to £175 a pair (fitted). Pleased with them though, feel nice and are long lasting.

Well, at the risk of sounding cheap... I'm using Maxxis Supermaxx. And I've been very pleased with them so far.

Normally I am something of a rubber fetishist. I can talk about tyres all day, and would rather poke my eyes out than run on a budget brand. But I got fed up of the poor treadlife on the Dunlop Qualifiers (3000 miles on the rear and they were on the wear bars), and wanted a more sport-touring set up, with the emphasis on the touring part.

The Maxxis were certainly cheap - £130 for two, inc. fitting. And the treadlife is way better than the Dunlops. I've done 5000 miles on them and they are not even half-way worn.

Grip is really not bad at all. I've never felt they lacked confidence yet, but I don't push it all the time, so they are fine for what I need. Just as good as the Qualifiers in the wet as well, although not as sticky as them in the dry.

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
BT 021 for me. They were on when I bought the bike, I was told they were a great tyre so I put new ones on a couple of months ago.

As my riding has improved I've never had a "moment" with these tyres so I reckon I'll stick with them, possibly going to the 023 as I've heard great things about these too.

I've since had a puncture in the rear but as the winters coming up and I wont be tear-arsing about it's had a repair, I'll get new in the spring regardless of wear.

pipnash

Reaction score
Visit site
Like a few people here Im still on the OEM's having covered just 3000 miles in 10 weeks from new. Been touring across Europe, A and B road scratching in the UK and wet weather riding too and have to say that these days most reasonable tyres will out perform the bike anyway. When the time comes I will be changing to Road Pilot 2's not for any other reason other than when I had them on previous bikes they performed well for the money and got good life out of them. I can manage to get the pegs down without the back end stepping out so I guess thats about as far over as it will go without me falling off regardless of tyre choice :rolleyes:

Starsky

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I am looking for new rubber! Currently I am running on BT 020's but feel that the center has taken a hammering with my daily commute! I have looked at the BT 023's but am wondering if they will last more that 5k? however after reading I am now looking to other brands. I will post feedback on what I buy. :thumbup:

niko_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I have posted something similar on another thread,but I consider the BT021 a very good tyre. This the 3 set I am putting on and all I can say is that it is a very good all around tyre. I ride all year around and from the last pair I got 8500miles with plenty of abuse.

Everything depends on your riding style but from my first pair I only got 4500 miles, I was driving like a twat though and its was the 190 and not the 180 rear

Niko

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I tried some Conti Road Attacks that were pretty good but then tried the 2CTs and loved them. Both are great IMHO. The Road Attacks are a bit more 'sporty' and the 2CTs are a bit more 'touring' but I felt 50% more confident on the 2CTs whilst commuting into London every day (year round). They will be the first mod on my new bike when I get one.

Dmitry

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, just had Pilot Road 2s talled on my fazer, after canvas started showing on BTs that were on my bike. So far so good. I use the bike everyday, rain or shine, happy so far.