2014 Daytona Bike Week. Part 4 (almost a dud! demo'd DL650. Sat on CBR650F, SR400)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woke up at 6 to steady rain. By 8, rain was gone, so I headed out.
As I got within few miles of Daytona, the skies opened up pretty good. Got to the demo area and sure enough.. all demos are on hold until weather improves.. expected 1st demo time: 1pm.
I turned around and rode back in torrential downpour. My raingear kept me warm, but it did nothing to keep me dry. I was completely soaked within an hour. In a weird way, I actually enjoyed it.. been a while since I got caught in one of those.
Relaxed for a bit and had lunch while my stuff was drying up. Checked the forecast and it showed no more rain .. so I rode down to Daytona again (took a different route just to mix it up).

Got to demo V-Strom DL650

attachment.php

Another excellent bike! Riding this after trying out the new V-Strom 1k was a lot like riding FZ6 after FZ1. Ergonomics are nearly identical with 650 possibly having slightly lower saddle (very slightly). Exhaust note is very similar on both.. relatively quiet, but not at all whiny. Clutch requires very little effort and friction zone is very progressive and right in the middle of lever travel (same on both bikes). As to be expected, the 650 requires more shifting to keep it *fast*, unlike the 1k which can be left in one gear and it'll pull like a train all day. Don't get me wrong though.. loads of torque and power on the 650 and it's delivered in a very smooth and linear manner. Buffeting is somewhat bad and unlike on 1k, the screen is not adjustable on this one.
It does feel a bit more nimble than the 1k version, but the gap between the 2 is not as big as the gap between FZ1 and FZ6, when it comes to flickability. Both will happily dip from side to side.
If I wanted a V-Strom and had to choose between those 2, I'd go for the new 1k bike. I'm spoiled by FZ1 though. I am pretty sure I would be very happy to own either 1k or the 650.. both very enjoyable bikes.

Tried to demo 2 more zukes (M109R and Busa.. but all gone for the day), so I headed over to the *zoo* (the main area with all the Harley folk.. but that's where the manufacturer tents are).

Confirmed that the new smaller VFR was not present at the show, but did check out and sat on CBR650F

attachment.php

No clue how it rides, but as far as static weight.. it feels very similar to its competitors. Forward reach is slightly more aggressive than FZ6.. much more like VFR. Not a bad looking bike, but would need to ride one to see if it's worthy.

Also spotted Yami SR400.

attachment.php

attachment.php

What a great looking little thing. Threw a leg over it and as expected.. the thing is light as a feather (reminds me of the GN125 we use in our school). Would love to take one for a spin!
Check out this little number they built on SR400 platform

attachment.php

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and I forgot to mention. I was standing next to a (sort of) celebrity:

Jessie Combs of Velocity Channel (she's known for many other shows and accomplishments):

482931_498202620196490_532243769_n.jpg

They were setting up a camera next to Yamaha tents. She was casually hanging out there.. though she was wearing a hat and big sunglasses.. not sure if it was because of the sun or because she's recognized enough now to be annoyed by it.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I go to the races to watch the races. LOL. Daytona might be different, not like Indy, Austin, or Laguna Seca. I don't think they have a plethora of demos. I rode an Aprilia Falco at Laguna once though. I've liked Aprilias ever since. Made me feel like a teenager, well almost. Good rite up, thanks, I enjoyed it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I go to the races to watch the races. LOL. Daytona might be different, not like Indy, Austin, or Laguna Seca. I don't think they have a plethora of demos. I rode an Aprilia Falco at Laguna once though. I've liked Aprilias ever since. Made me feel like a teenager, well almost. Good rite up, thanks, I enjoyed it.

Daytona is a different animal. It's the whole Daytona bike week (with roughly 300k bikers showing up) which just happens to start with Daytona MotoX and end with AMA road racing. The stuff in between is endless demos, loads of vendors, music, etc.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the updates!

Bike week happens before I go on Spring break...tragedy. My grandma lives in Daytona...catastrophe.

I had no idea there was AMA racing at the end of it. What's your schedule down there? You gonna catch it?

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks.

Pretty much summed up my experience on the DL650. After already having a liter bike (Tiger 1050), I decided the middle weights are more fun for me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the updates!

Bike week happens before I go on Spring break...tragedy. My grandma lives in Daytona...catastrophe.

I had no idea there was AMA racing at the end of it. What's your schedule down there? You gonna catch it?

Meeting up some forumites tomorrow and Saturday.. not sure if they'll wanna see the races, but I would love to. Heading back on Sunday, so that's out.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Meeting up some forumites tomorrow and Saturday.. not sure if they'll wanna see the races, but I would love to. Heading back on Sunday, so that's out.

Enjoy the rest of it!

Seriously, if bike week were exactly 1 week later than it is...I'd be there.