UK road speed limit cut to 50mph

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
Only if you intend to get your feet wet from your area of the country if you go 500 miles either way, except perhaps John o Groats, dipping the headlight? :D

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DAMN THIS NANNY STATE AND DAMN THE AC COBRA

rant over

as well as being a revenue generator its a way for incompetent bureaucrats to flex their muscles and empower themselves...(kinda like the over fussy footy ref who spoils a match just to massage his own ego and self importance) if the British public persistently drove slow and cried out for lower speed limits ,they would probably raise them.

Last edited:

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With all the cctv that we are subject to what we want is more variable speed limits and I include in excess of 70 at the right time place and conditions.

But what we need more than these lower speed limits is better training and a higher standard of riding and driving.

There are places where even doing 30 is excessive.

It's not speed alone that kills; It's excessive and inappropriate use of speed.

I think we need more input from people such as traffic police and driving and riding instructors to set the agenda both for training and performance and also for speed limits. It would help to have representives on board from organizations like BMF and the RAC.

Then we might get a nore balanced input.
Rant over.

B

bluenova

Well don`t come to Denmark because 80kph is our speed limit and I don`t want this country being overrun with Brits..well I don`t anyway.

Don't come to Belgium either. Although the national speed limit is 90 km/h most roads are zoned to 70 km/h (43.5 mph). I think the UK is quite unique to have 60 mph (96.5 km/h) on most national roads. It's odd though that the motorway speed limit is only slightly faster 70 mp/h (112.6 km/h) most countries have a must bigger speed limit difference between national roads and motorways, normally around 40 or 50 km/h faster as the motorways are normally around 120-130 km/h (74.5-80.7 mph).

Just wanted to add, in my opinion having a set speed limit for any road national or motorway is illogical. All speed limits should be determined according to the specific bit of road at the time, which will also make drivers pay more attention. For instance the M20 in Kent, the speed limit could easily be 80 or 90 for most of it, but around Maidstone where the road winds and bends quite a lot the speed limit should be 60 or even 50.

Last edited by a moderator:

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah well, one of the next moves is going to be charging you for the distance you travel on a particular type road. It's going to be by GPS, if ever the EU actually get their act together over GPS. It will not only make it so that they can charge you more depending on the type of road you're on and the time (charge commutors more because they earn money to pay?), but the added bonus for them will be that they can tell what sped you did on the road.

Here's your bill for using the road sir, oh and here's your speeding ticket and fine.... :ban: