U.S. oil filters

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I smell a beating coming, but I need to question these. I like the idea of quality, but I wonder if these are a cure for which there is no known disease. At current prices, I can buy 10 K&N 303 filters for the price of 1 of these. With each filter lasting 3000 miles, it would take over 30,000 miles to break even. At approx 8000 per year (my average) that's almost 4 years. Add to that the extended time to change oil (how long does it take to dismantle, clean and dry?) , and I wonder where the ROI is.

Don't take it personal anyone (Scott's gonna KLL me!), but not sure of the value.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My $0.02.

When I raced a YZ250F and did an oil change every 5 to 10 hours (about 2x per month) I used Scott’s Stainless Steel oil filters. I actually used two of them so after cleaning I could let it dry so I could further blow it out with compressed air. While that one was drying for a few days the alternate was in use. For that type of use a resueable filter made complete sense.

I have multiple street bikes. Each gets one oil change at the end of the season. I can swing a new $5 oil filter for each.

A reusable filter requires that the user be extremely diligent during cleaning. If there is metal in the filter, and you accidentally move it to the other side of the element...well you might as well not use a filter at all.Throwing away a filter takes little care or attention.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No beatings today!!

When I bought it MANY years ago, they were a little cheaper ($). I actually bought two, one for the FJR as well (exact same model).

I change my oil yearly now (less than 3K a year) and this will be the last bike I own (I'm 62) un-less wrecked, etc. I've owned it since 2009, so eleven years and counting..

Re cleaning, I pull it first, then the crankcase drain plug.
As the crankcase drains, I pop the filter apart, inspect and spray out with brake cleaner.
I also blow outwards with some compressed air from the inside out.

With the brake cleaner, it's dry and ready to go back together inside maybe 30 seconds...(as fast as brake cleaner takes to dry).

It's also an OIL COOLER (dissipating heat), no wrestling with a wrench to loosen(a regular won't be a PIA if tightened correctly).

Reading the spec's, it flows more oil than a conventional filter and filters more efficiently.
I've never found any crap in the filter but I don't run the bike hard at all, mostly around town running errands..

I used to use K&N's prior.

I have MY old K&N filter sealed up(maybe 500 miles on that one) and would replace it if the bike got sold/wrecked, etc.

I am retired and am lucky enough that $ isn't an issue (pension), so I only buy the best (IMO) for my toys, etc...

As noted earlier, it's already paid for itself, easily 1.5-2x's over. IMO, if your going to keep the bike, just for the performance, (additional "safety"), it's worth it..

Lastly, of course there's different model filters but this one fits many Yamaha's. Soooo, should you sell the bike and want to use this one on another (depending on the bike), it may very well fit..

*BTW, when I sold my FJR, I gave the buyer the option of the K&N filter or the K&P (more $).
He sprung for the K&P (forgot what I charged extra for it) but got most of my $ back on that one..