tyre confusion

Stimson

Reaction score
Visit site
I need a new back tyre, so, went to the local dealership to see what is about. After chatting with the salesman, he reckons that if I am putting on a new back tyre, I need the front tyre (current front/rear pilot powers) to match. :(

He reckons that different compound/style tyres will affect bike performance, grip etc particularily in the wet or if tyres heat up differently.

What's the go, is this true? :confused: or do I hear salesman talk ?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I need a new back tyre, so, went to the local dealership to see what is about. After chatting with the salesman, he reckons that if I am putting on a new back tyre, I need the front tyre (current front/rear pilot powers) to match. :(

He reckons that different compound/style tyres will affect bike performance, grip etc particularily in the wet or if tyres heat up differently.

What's the go, is this true? :confused: or do I hear salesman talk ?

I think he is right. I wouldn't mix treads/compounds.... Not recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Contact Brisbane Motorcycle Tyres down @ Springwood. Con is good, always seems to get what tyres you want within 24hrs if they are not in his shop.

Id believe what this guy is telling you, there is probably a little of both in his words. But FYI, where I go ive never bought both F/R at the same time & he's never once mentioned/forced me to change both at same time.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had discussion with the tire folks at the track and it does not seem to be a prob
Emon the street if you are careful and or intelligent about the decision. For example I've looked at putting a Pilot Power on the front to go with a Road 2. That combo would give more traction at the front. I would not want to run a front with less traction than the rear. Also I would not combine different manufactures with a big difference between front an rear. Basically try and keep the front and rear generally the same.

What did I do? Wound up using the same front and rear (Michelin Road 2's) and went thru one front and one and a half rears.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd try to go with the same tire. In addition to the other mentioned reasons you can also have different profile and it's better to stick with matching profiles. It may not be that you need those matching properties with your type riding but when you need that performance in a pinch sometimes it's actually more economical.

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If your looking to change brands then you need to go front & rear but if your just looking at putting another Michy on then just fitting the rear is fine :thumbup:

I should say , you dont need to change both if your changing brands (no law against it) but it isnt recommended ;)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is definitely better to have the matching tread patterns, and compounds, that you can only get from a matched set. Even changing 1 at a time to the same tyre will give you a new tyre that is different in shape to the old one, but will usually make scrubbing in a breeze.

However, I have ridden on mismatched tyres a number of times, in all weather, and if you are aware of the fact that they may not work together to move water and ride accordingly I don't reckon it's that big a deal:don'tknow:. You also need to keep in mind that different shapes will affect handling, and not to push it past the limits of the weakest link in the dry:thumbup:.

Stimson

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks everyone....i'll see if i can get another pilot for the back as the front is only half worn. Failing this, new treads all round.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am running a PR2 rear and a Pure front and the bike handles great,as long as the rear is not stickier than the front I dont see a problem.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I know guys who chop & change tyres. A chap who races using an NTEC front & bridgey rear is so damn quick I wouldnt question his judgment. He has a theory on it & it seems to work for him.
Quite a few of them also flip their tyres.............. but that's another discussion all together.