Typical running temperature '09 FZ6

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the outside temp and mode of travel, in traffic and 90 degrees I see about 190 - 207. In normal cruise I see about 170-185. I live in Tampa, FL and I've only had the big three weeks so I've been mostly in warm/hot weather.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When air temp is around 50 with calm riding, bike runs about 170--180. Sunny and warm, right around 200-210.

Of course, all of the above varies with length of ride, aggressiveness, etc. Fan kicks on right at 212 and gets the knees and shins good 'n hot!

All temps in dirty, lowly Farenheit.

Scorp

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
I hear that about the fan...We have had a few 70-80 Farenheit days and with hard in town riding (1st and second gear only) it runs right around 190 or so....I've been told these engines are good up to about 230-240 however(some one correct me if I'm wrong, I dont wannt give bad advice!!)...NOTHING like a car engine!

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Per the manual 240F+ is the "start paying attention to whats going on" zone, 284F is the "pull the **** over now and turn it off" temp.
Never seen mine higher than 235, and then only immediatly after a hard ride.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
170-190 in SW Florida, even in heavy traffic. The fan works however its never had to come on...

Fresh anti-freeze (on an older bike-more than 2 years old) helps to keep it cooler.

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
170-190 in SW Florida, even in heavy traffic. The fan works however its never had to come on...

Fresh anti-freeze (on an older bike-more than 2 years old) helps to keep it cooler.
Hi TownsendsFJR1300 . I'm curious about your post in that you changed to an aftermarket exhaust.I'm sure it was to increase H.P. but how much ? And what about fuel/air ratio changes.How did you accomplish this aspect ? Also,do you have a photo of the finished product ? I'm kinda surprised in that the under-seat exhaust is one of the aspects of this bike that appealed to me so much that I bought one.To each his own,Please don't think I'm being a nit-picker.I am,however very curious how to go abought this properly when, down the road, I want a few more ponies ! Thanks,westmask

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi TownsendsFJR1300 . I'm curious about your post in that you changed to an aftermarket exhaust.I'm sure it was to increase H.P. but how much ? And what about fuel/air ratio changes.How did you accomplish this aspect ? Also,do you have a photo of the finished product ? I'm kinda surprised in that the under-seat exhaust is one of the aspects of this bike that appealed to me so much that I bought one.To each his own,Please don't think I'm being a nit-picker.I am,however very curious how to go abought this properly when, down the road, I want a few more ponies ! Thanks,westmask

I just wanted the bike to have some sound, the stock muffler was too quiet for me. I don't know what the HP increase (if any is), I didn't do any other mods, ICU's, etc. I did re-do the throttle sync twice trying to get rid of the "buzz" at about 4k, which helped alot. The bike runs really nice bone stock (even has the cat), idles at 1,000 RPM-steady. No searching for a steady idle, smooth throttle response, good mileage too. Just cruising sounds really nice. Not too loud under 4-5k. Between the pipes and the Stebal air horn, I can be heard if need be.

Its considerably louder, feels slightly faster and sounds awesome especially when getting on it. My friend, whom it bough it from, said it sounds like a 1000, reallly nice, much deeper. I removed the stickers (prefer the clean look). In the direct rear picture, you can see the Hyper light above the tag. The last picture you just make out the HEL SS rear brake line(silver).

Just a quick note, the mufflers, when shipped to the states, DO NOT come with the baffle should you want to quiet it down. I believe it comes with them in Europe. The company will NOT SHIP the baffles separatly to the states. Someone did find a set of baffles at another company however they were about $100 each...

Scott

Last edited:

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott.I love the look you acheived.Very agressive. Thanks also for your input on whether it needed to be re-tuned [ mixture wise].That's one of my two biggest concerns.The other is ,while I want a better sound,in your opinion,is it still pretty quiet when not on the throttle much ? I do have neighbors that I care about !!! I only want something that's nasty whem I want it to be.I'm not sure if it's Kosher to ask on this site,but if so, whom has the best deals on Scorpion systems ? Yours was mufflers only,right ? Thanks again, keith [westmask]

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the aftermarket exhausts are markedly louder at idle, and low RPM, but higher up it varies alot: alot are either quieter, or just insanely loud. Depending on what you buy.
I got something different when I got mine (M4s) and got some custom made ends to put in to quieten them down, which it has done to a certain extent. I mainly did this cause I actually like (SOME of) my neighbors.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott.I love the look you acheived.Very agressive. Thanks also for your input on whether it needed to be re-tuned [ mixture wise].That's one of my two biggest concerns.The other is ,while I want a better sound,in your opinion,is it still pretty quiet when not on the throttle much ? I do have neighbors that I care about !!! I only want something that's nasty whem I want it to be.I'm not sure if it's Kosher to ask on this site,but if so, whom has the best deals on Scorpion systems ? Yours was mufflers only,right ? Thanks again, keith [westmask]

I don't believe their bad (loudness) when under 4 -5k. I'm 51 years old (retired PO) and have a am/fm walkman stereo wired into my 3/4 helmet. I can still hear the radio up to about 5k, then you have to turn it up to overcome the pipes. I left the cat in, so yes, just the pipes (and y pipe that comes with it). I've read with the cat out it gets louder yet and you may have some idle issues but I cannot personally confirm this.

When winding it up, it sounds sweet. If there's a Police Officer around, you may meet him... I believe I paid about $500 for the new style and ordered them from the local, private shop I deal with (he does my tires, order factory parts, etc).

I'm sure their cheaper elsewhere, I just preferred to make sure they weren't damaged when I picked them up so I could deal with a real person should they need to be returned. I like to support the local guys as well. The shop owner/mechanic actually recommended them as I never heard one on an FZ6. Said they weren't too loud and sounded good and I agree..

I'm very happy with them and have no regrets... Sold the stock muffler already...

Last edited: