turn signal/ light questions

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple quick questions....

1. Is it necessary, by that i mean a law, to keep my front turn signals as running lights? I know some of you are like more lights = safety, but two ugly large amber pods on the front of my bike is driving me crazy. they have to go but am considering running them as strictly turn signals no running lights. The reason i am questioning this is because my buddy has a new gsxr and his front turn signals are not used as running lights.

2. Goes with question 1 sorta. I am putting LED turn signals on front and back and im assuming i am going to have to use a different relay. Does anyone know where (which im sure someone does) i can find the relays for both front and back? maybe some pics too please, im a visual learner :)

3. and lastly, like i said my buddy has a new gsxr. It has a feature/ button (on clutch hand side) that can be pressed rapidly that flashes the bright lights when your passing someone or going through an intersection. Can this be added to my amazing FZ6?

If anyone could shed light on these questions, i would be much appreciative. :D:D:D

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. I am most certain that DOT guidelines establish that running lights should be operational on the bike's front signals.

2. I don't have relays, but my front Watsen Design LEDs came with a built-in running light module. Funny thing occured when I installed the rear LED Rizomas; the flashing rate increased a bit. It's kinda cool actually:D That has to do with the overall resistance in the circuit.

3. I heard of that feature on some of the guys from across the pond. Apparently, the European FZ6s have the "passing light button". Anyway, sounds like you'd have to do some more homework, choose the parts you want, and have a motorcycle mechanic/electrician help you with the install. Good luck to ya :thumbup:

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My other choice in motorcycle was the gsxr600 and it had the "pass" trigger button that I thought was nifty.

I never saw it in action but I have been in situations where I thought it would be nice if I had a similar button that would modulate my headlights rapidly that I could use when coming up to an intersection where someone was in the left turn lane.

I hope you find it and can post how to do it. Right now I have a nervous habit of pressing the turn-signal button just to be sure it's off :rolleyes:

bugmcw

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeahhhh i dont know guys.... fz-6 and some fatboy harleys are the only thing that ive seen with running lights in the front turn signals.... DOT Law only states that you have working turn signals, front and back and running lights... it does not stipulate what those running lights have to include (other than the obvious HEADLIGHT)... hate to burst your bubble, but those little orange runners on the front of your bike are just something yamaha did because they thought it would be "cool"

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Yeahhhh i dont know guys.... fz-6 and some fatboy harleys are the only thing that ive seen with running lights in the front turn signals.... DOT Law only states that you have working turn signals, front and back and running lights... it does not stipulate what those running lights have to include (other than the obvious HEADLIGHT)... hate to burst your bubble, but those little orange runners on the front of your bike are just something yamaha did because they thought it would be "cool"

:Im With Stupid:(not) If this post wasn't so horribly incorrect, it would actually be kind of amusing.

Yeahhh....I think you really need to get your facts straight before dishing out very bad advice to others. Perhaps you should look at oncoing traffic a little more closely as EVERY vehicle on the road is required to have FORWARD FACING AMBER MARKER LIGHTS. This is a DOT standard and not just a Yamaha/Harley 'thing'. :rolleyes:

Last time I open my eyes, every car, truck, SUV and MOTORCYCLE had amber marker lights on em.

So I hate to burst your bubble mate and I'm not sure where came up with this, but amber marker lights are not something Yamaha just came up with on their own accord so their bikes could be 'cool'. Give your head a shake.

Here is some ACTUAL information on forward facing amber lighting regulations:

Front position lamps (parking lamps)

Nighttime standing-vehicle conspicuity to the front is provided by front position lamps, known as parking lamps or parking lights in North America.

In North America, amber front and red rear sidemarker lamps and retro-reflectors are required. The law initially required lights or retroreflectors on vehicles made after 1 January 1968. This was amended to require lights and retroreflectors on vehicles made after 1 January 1970.

816.130 Parking lights. Each of the following is a requirement for parking lights as indicated:

(1) Parking lights shall be on the roadway side of the vehicle when a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto.

(2) Parking lights shall exhibit a white or amber light visible to the front of the vehicle and a red light visible to the rear of the vehicle.

(3) Parking lights shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front of the vehicle and from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle. [1983 c.338 §458 (10); 1985 c.16 §240 (10); 1985 c.69 §1 (10); 1985 c.71 §4 (10); 1985 c.393 §13 (10); 1985 c.420 §6 (10)]

So forward facing amber parking/marker lights ARE required and if you look at any other motorcycle, they will have them.

So, thiry too, to correctly answer your question, yes you are required to have some form of DOT approved forward facing amber parking/marker light of some kind. I also have Watsens and use them as singlas/marker lights just like the stock FZ6 signals, but Watsens are technically not a DOT appoved product (their size I think). So even with them working properly, you 'could' receive a ticket for having non DOT approved lamps on your bike. It's a minor risk IMHO.

Here is my write up on my Watsen installation (with pics!). http://members.shaw.ca/fazed/led blinkers.htm

Watsens have changed a lot and as Nizmo mentioned, you don't need realys anymore to get them working as both signals and parking lights. Just purchase that option.

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
bone from the way i read the first post i think you misunderstood what he was looking for...

not that he didnt want an amber light on the front, just that he was wondering if it was manditory for them to be on (like a daytime running light, like the headlight is) whenever the bike is on. at night yes but i know cars are not manditory to have them on ALL the time. (basicly so they act like the rear lights on our bikes)

as for the "passing light" switch.. my tiger had one but it didnt work and i wish it did.. i dont see why you couldnt use the switch off another bike and wire it in if they work the same.. (ie.. some use the switch to trigger a relay and some put power through them..)

bugmcw

Reaction score
Visit site
wow man you really got me.... i guess then YOU should email Suzuki and tell them their flaw.... sure i have forward facing amber lights but they arent my running lights. they are my blinkers and only turn on when i activate my blinkers......

And please notice your quote of the law is talking about PARKING LIGHTS!!!! READ YOUR OWN POST... these are running lights we are talking about and my brand spanking new 08 gixxer has ZERO amber running lights on the front...

thanks for your time and research tho.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
3. I heard of that feature on some of the guys from across the pond. Apparently, the European FZ6s have the "passing light button".[/QUOTE]

The Yamaha part number for the European FZ6 handlebar switch assembly with "passing light button" is 5VX-83969-00.

Should be easy to retrofit

FZ6-ZN

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
wow man you really got me.... i guess then YOU should email Suzuki and tell them their flaw.... sure i have forward facing amber lights but they arent my running lights. they are my blinkers and only turn on when i activate my blinkers......

And please notice your quote of the law is talking about PARKING LIGHTS!!!! READ YOUR OWN POST... these are running lights we are talking about and my brand spanking new 08 gixxer has ZERO amber running lights on the front...

thanks for your time and research tho.

A Running light is the same thing as a 'parking' or 'marker light', just different terminologies, but good point. I will use running light from now on.

So you are saying that if you fire up your Gixer, get off and look at it head on, the only lighting you see shining back at you is just a head light? Then yes, I would say something is not right with your 08. Dont' take my word for it though, go ask a cop or your dealer. Perhaps your 2 filament bulbs are blown? My friends Honda 599 has his left front out as a running light, but the signal portion still works as one of the filamnets in the bulb has gone.

All I know that at least here in Canada (and I'm 95% sure in the USA) that all bikes have to have forward facing amber running lights that are on when the bike is on.

I also reviewed my "Vehicle Inspection" report that I had done a while back, due to a ticket for incorrect lamps (;)), and one of the checks is for: RUNNING LIGHTS - ON with bike ruinning. Running lights encompas the forward amber lights (L&R) and the rear red tail light.

I didn't missunderstand the OP's question, only wanted to state that if you remove or swap out singals, you are still required to have;
a. forward facing amber running lights
b. DOT approved ones (not really a huge deal)

Obviously lighting is a tad different for bikes as we basically have all our lighting on 24/7, where as pointed out by bigdog, cars can have 'Daytime running lihgts' that ONLY have the head lights on (no running lights). We dont have the option to just have our headlight on and nothing else (amber running lights and rear red tail light).

I stand corected on the option of having your front singals in a different location as to seperate amber running lights...albeit I can't recall seeing that kind of setup. I'm sure one could have that setup, but why have two different set of basically amber lighting, when you can do both signals and running in one unit?

I not sure then as to why thrity_too then would even want to keep his "ugly pods" for just signals then.
two ugly large amber pods on the front of my bike is driving me crazy. they have to go but am considering running them as strictly turn signals no running lights
It sounds like he is thiking of leaving them on to act just as signals(?) If he hates them so much (and I fully agree with him), then whay not jsut get rid of them and simply replace them LED flushies that handle both functions. Which is why I linked to my Watsen install as they do both.

Last edited:

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
thankyou for the discussion.... and yes i do plan replacing them... i was jsut trying to figure out if i should go with the two wire setup like the back or the three wire setup... i want them to match the rear signals and the aftermarkets signals i am looking at are strictly 2 wire LED... this is why i was asking if they had to be running lights too (front) but the discussion was very educating :):)

... and yes the pods are gone as soon as get aftermarket signals

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
No problem. What untis are you thinking of getting?

My Watsens (few years old) were 2 wire, hence I had to go the whole relay route to essentually turn a 2 wire setup into a 3 wire setup to do both running lights & signals (relay acts as the 3rd wire).

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Well bugmcw, I owe you an apology and now it seems I'm even more confused about the whole "running light" issue.

On my way home last night, I kept an eye out for on coming bikes. Sure enough some had amber running lights on. I saw a Honda, a Triumph and a ZX10 all with the running lights. But then I saw other bikes, including a Gixer (not an 08), that did not have running lights on......

Then again this morning, same thing, some had running lights, others didn't. So I'm stumped. As it was explained to me by by inspection faciity, they had to be on, but clearly in the 'real world' this is not the case.

I'm sure this is also one of those laws that differ from state to state and province to province. I will see waht else I can find as now I'm really curious/confused....

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this probably doesn't apply to most as I live in slackjawwedyokelville but we aren't even required to have turn signals much less running lights. The BMW I had prior to the FZ6 did not having running lights. Only lights required on a bike here are headlights and a brake light as long as you use hand signals. Aside from those, only other thing required is passenger pegs if you're riding with one. As you can probably guess, due to the lax requirements there's gobs of crappy rat bikes around here. Meh, at least they have a helmet law.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Kool? Well, maybe so but so do the new Corvettes. I like the added visibility.

bugmcw

Reaction score
Visit site
Well bugmcw, I owe you an apology and now it seems I'm even more confused about the whole "running light" issue.

On my way home last night, I kept an eye out for on coming bikes. Sure enough some had amber running lights on. I saw a Honda, a Triumph and a ZX10 all with the running lights. But then I saw other bikes, including a Gixer (not an 08), that did not have running lights on......

Then again this morning, same thing, some had running lights, others didn't. So I'm stumped. As it was explained to me by by inspection faciity, they had to be on, but clearly in the 'real world' this is not the case.

I'm sure this is also one of those laws that differ from state to state and province to province. I will see waht else I can find as now I'm really curious/confused....

HAHAH no sweat man, i was a bit confused myself!!!!

But you killed my REP!

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
:Im With Stupid:(not) If this post wasn't so horribly incorrect, it would actually be kind of amusing.

Yeahhh....I think you really need to get your facts straight before dishing out very bad advice to others. Perhaps you should look at oncoing traffic a little more closely as EVERY vehicle on the road is required to have FORWARD FACING AMBER MARKER LIGHTS. This is a DOT standard and not just a Yamaha/Harley 'thing'. :rolleyes:

Last time I open my eyes, every car, truck, SUV and MOTORCYCLE had amber marker lights on em.

So I hate to burst your bubble mate and I'm not sure where came up with this, but amber marker lights are not something Yamaha just came up with on their own accord so their bikes could be 'cool'. Give your head a shake.

816.130 Parking lights. Each of the following is a requirement for parking lights as indicated:

(1) Parking lights shall be on the roadway side of the vehicle when a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto.

(2) Parking lights shall exhibit a white or amber light visible to the front of the vehicle and a red light visible to the rear of the vehicle.

(3) Parking lights shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front of the vehicle and from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle. [1983 c.338 §458 (10); 1985 c.16 §240 (10); 1985 c.69 §1 (10); 1985 c.71 §4 (10); 1985 c.393 §13 (10); 1985 c.420 §6 (10)]

So forward facing amber parking/marker lights ARE required and if you look at any other motorcycle, they will have them.

So, thiry too, to correctly answer your question, yes you are required to have some form of DOT approved forward facing amber parking/marker light of some kind. I also have Watsens and use them as singlas/marker lights just like the stock FZ6 signals, but Watsens are technically not a DOT appoved product (their size I think). So even with them working properly, you 'could' receive a ticket for having non DOT approved lamps on your bike. It's a minor risk IMHO.

Here is my write up on my Watsen installation (with pics!). Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods: LED Flush Mount Blinkers

Watsens have changed a lot and as Nizmo mentioned, you don't need realys anymore to get them working as both signals and parking lights. Just purchase that option.

Not trying to be rude or a jerk but in Oklahoma You are not required to have any turn signals of any kind. only head lights, tail light, and brake light. Im fairly sure that turn signals and laws of the same kind are state mandated not a national law.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Not trying to be rude or a jerk but in Oklahoma You are not required to have any turn signals of any kind. only head lights, tail light, and brake light. Im fairly sure that turn signals and laws of the same kind are state mandated not a national law.
Not exactly...

Per 47 O.S. § 12-606 (OSCN 2008): "Motorcycles of Model Year 2005 Or Later Shall Be Equipped With Electric Flashing Turn Signal Lamps"

I agree with you though, I also think that it's up to the states to pass into law federally mandated suggestions. (essentially, in law, a mandate is like someone saying 'I really, really, think you should do this')

Anyway, I'm not always happy with the stock running lights in terms of looks, but I do see value in having them.

Also, in re to flashing passing light switches, around here (Chicagoland) flashing your brights at someone sitting at an intersection often means "go ahead", sort of the opposite of the intended "look out, here I come".

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
Requirements vary state by state, S.C. does not even require that you have turn signals.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=SC

Home » Rights » Search state laws »
South Carolina state motorcycle laws
Search again: Select a state select*fromstates Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming District of Columbia Puerto Rico
Road

Safety Helmet Required by law under age 21, reflectorization required. NOTE: in conflict with state law the city of Myrtle Beach has passed a helmet ordinance requiring helmet use within city limits and place restrictions on motorcycle exhaust systems. The ordinances are available online at Myrtle Beach City Council
State Funded Rider Ed Not Available

Eye Protection Required by law under age 21, unless equipped with windscreen
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law-modulating headlight permitted

Passenger Seat Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger

Passenger Age Restriction None
Helmet Speakers No Restrictions

Periodic Safety Inspection N/A
Mirror Left(L) Right(R) One required by law

Radar Detector No Restriction
Turn Signals Not Required

Muffler No acoustical criteria.
Maximum Sound Level No acoustical criteria.

State Insurance Requirements Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(15/30/10) - Graduates of rider education program may apply for reduction in motorcycle insurance rates.
Handlebar Height No restrictions

Rider-Education Waiver Skill Test
Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States N/A

Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane Yes. SECTION 56-5-3640. Motorcycle entitled to full use of lane; riding two or more abreast; overtaking and passing; operation in other instances. [SC ST SEC 56-5-3640] (a) All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a lane and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane. This shall not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane.
Lane Splitting SECTION 56-5-3640. Motorcycle entitled to full use of lane; riding two or more abreast; overtaking and passing; operation in other instances. [SC ST SEC 56-5-3640] b) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic, or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Lemon Law Coverage No; South Carolina (SC) South Carolina Code of Laws - Title 56, Chapter 28
Off Road

Safety Helmet Not Required
Eye Protection Not Required

Minimum Operator Age No Restriction
Rider Education Certification Not Required

Operator License Not Required
Headlight Not Required

Taillight Not Required
Muffler Not Required

Maximum Sound Level No Limit
Spark Arrestor Not Required

Registration Not Required
Vehicle Title Not Required

Trails Program Not Available

© 2009 American Motorcyclist

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site

Here is my write up on my Watsen installation (with pics!). http://members.shaw.ca/fazed/led blinkers.htm

Most of the time you are spot on man, but this time I have to disagree. It may be a Federal DOT reg in Canada but here in the states it's up to the individual states. It is not required (in NY) to have running lights other than the headlight and tail. In fact I have the only person I know, personally, that has a sport bike with stock running lights. I asked my dealer about this and he said it depends on the manufacturer. Some come with them, some don't, since it doesn't matter here in NY it's not an issue. I do like the increased visibility for safety, but leagally... check with your states regulations.