turn signal/ light questions

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Requirements vary state by state, S.C. does not even require that you have turn signals.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=SC

Home » Rights » Search state laws »
South Carolina state motorcycle laws
Search again: Select a state select*fromstates Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming District of Columbia Puerto Rico
Road

Safety Helmet Required by law under age 21, reflectorization required. NOTE: in conflict with state law the city of Myrtle Beach has passed a helmet ordinance requiring helmet use within city limits and place restrictions on motorcycle exhaust systems. The ordinances are available online at Myrtle Beach City Council
State Funded Rider Ed Not Available

Eye Protection Required by law under age 21, unless equipped with windscreen
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by law-modulating headlight permitted

Passenger Seat Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger

Passenger Age Restriction None
Helmet Speakers No Restrictions

Periodic Safety Inspection N/A
Mirror Left(L) Right(R) One required by law

Radar Detector No Restriction
Turn Signals Not Required

Muffler No acoustical criteria.
Maximum Sound Level No acoustical criteria.

State Insurance Requirements Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(15/30/10) - Graduates of rider education program may apply for reduction in motorcycle insurance rates.
Handlebar Height No restrictions

Rider-Education Waiver Skill Test
Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States N/A

Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane Yes. SECTION 56-5-3640. Motorcycle entitled to full use of lane; riding two or more abreast; overtaking and passing; operation in other instances. [SC ST SEC 56-5-3640] (a) All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a lane and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane. This shall not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane.
Lane Splitting SECTION 56-5-3640. Motorcycle entitled to full use of lane; riding two or more abreast; overtaking and passing; operation in other instances. [SC ST SEC 56-5-3640] b) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic, or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Lemon Law Coverage No; South Carolina (SC) South Carolina Code of Laws - Title 56, Chapter 28
Off Road

Safety Helmet Not Required
Eye Protection Not Required

Minimum Operator Age No Restriction
Rider Education Certification Not Required

Operator License Not Required
Headlight Not Required

Taillight Not Required
Muffler Not Required

Maximum Sound Level No Limit
Spark Arrestor Not Required

Registration Not Required
Vehicle Title Not Required

Trails Program Not Available

© 2009 American Motorcyclist

Dont i get credit for this? :Flash: LOL j/k

Although I was looking through it and found out that I don't need blinkers lol, but i still want them, but my fz6 2004 running lights didn't appear to be on when I was looking at it today. Today I especially looked at motorcycles on the lights and saw many different setups, but again i am just going by the website i came across by the American Motorcyclist.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont i get credit for this? :Flash: LOL j/k

Although I was looking through it and found out that I don't need blinkers lol, but i still want them, but my fz6 2004 running lights didn't appear to be on when I was looking at it today. Today I especially looked at motorcycles on the lights and saw many different setups, but again i am just going by the website i came across by the American Motorcyclist.

Yeah! I missed the last page when I posted then saw that you already had a link to it.:thumbup:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
In UK we have the PAS switch which turns on the high beam only when held.

If someone flashes the high beam according to our high way code (which is law) the flasher is used as a warning that I am here. However everyone takes the flash to mean you are OK to go. eg you might flash a vehicle at a junction to allow them out.

On my bike the PAS switch is only ever used on dark country roads when it is busy with approaching traffic to quickly light the road ahead for a few seconds as it is easier than turning the high beam, on then off with the main switch.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that here you can operate without signals so long as you are using proper hand signals. I stopped at a light today beside a guy on a Honda CBR with no signal lights, and we then rode right past a cop. The guy on the Honda was using hand signals instead.

BankerBiker

Love My FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going into my 5th year of riding and just joined the forum. Should have done it 4 years ago!

I did not like the front running lights/turn signals either and replaced them with white flush-mounted LEDs. I believe they are on all the time but now that I see this thread, it makes me want to check it out. I will be going for my full M this year and don't want the examiner failing me over after-market equipment.

Thanks for the discussion!