Turn signal/hazards issue. HELP!

TheFemaleBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I need some help!

Recently my back right turn signal stopped working, I opened it up thinking it would be a blown bulb when in actual fact the whole bulb connection was corroded.

So I changed the turns signals at the back for some aftermarket standard bulb ones which I already had fitted to the front which solved the issue. But then there was another issue, my hazards no longer work, the turn signals all flash for a brief second if I turn hazards on and then nothing. My turn signals don't work for a brief time after turning the hazards off, but then they work after waiting for a few seconds.

Turn signal fuse is fine, the switch gear seems fine too, I have no clue what could be the issue. Any ideas? :confused:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I need some help!

Recently my back right turn signal stopped working, I opened it up thinking it would be a blown bulb when in actual fact the whole bulb connection was corroded.

So I changed the turns signals at the back for some aftermarket standard bulb ones which I already had fitted to the front which solved the issue. But then there was another issue, my hazards no longer work, the turn signals all flash for a brief second if I turn hazards on and then nothing. My turn signals don't work for a brief time after turning the hazards off, but then they work after waiting for a few seconds.

Turn signal fuse is fine, the switch gear seems fine too, I have no clue what could be the issue. Any ideas? :confused:

Sounds like you either have a failing hazards switch or the flasher relay itself is bad on the hazards mode side. You would probably need to find the wiring schematic on the flasher relay and check voltages to see if the flasher output is faulty, indicating the relay is bad.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the original factory flasher it may not operate properly with a different load. For this reason I recommend an electronic flasher replacement. It will give the proper flash rate regardless of load. You may find a local shop that carries one or.... Here's a link to a replacement. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...versal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/
timthumb.php

TheFemaleBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will take at look at the relay at the weekend. Does anyone know where I can get a new relay in the UK as mentioned above?

The turn signals are not LED, they are just standard bulb type. :)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will take at look at the relay at the weekend. Does anyone know where I can get a new relay in the UK as mentioned above?

The turn signals are not LED, they are just standard bulb type. :)

:) A search from your computer might yield something close to you.
I did this on my search "electronic flasher relay, united kingdom"

This would work: Universal Flasher Relay For LED Indicators Fits Many Bikes - Replaces FE218BH | eBay and this... Bike It LED Indicator Relays - SPORTSBIKESHOP

TheFemaleBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
:) A search from your computer might yield something close to you.
I did this on my search "electronic flasher relay, united kingdom"

This would work: Universal Flasher Relay For LED Indicators Fits Many Bikes - Replaces FE218BH | eBay and this... Bike It LED Indicator Relays - SPORTSBIKESHOP

Haha, thanks! I did have a quick look but i then started getting confused as to what connection I needed. Is the OEM relay a 2 pin wire to block thing then? (haven't looked at the bike yet)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is.... ^^ 2 wire.

Are the new indicators smaller bulbs? If they draw less current/have a lower wattage output, this would cause your issue and the Electronic Flasher will fix that.

TheFemaleBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is.... ^^ 2 wire.

Are the new indicators smaller bulbs? If they draw less current/have a lower wattage output, this would cause your issue and the Electronic Flasher will fix that.

The new indicators might be smaller bulbs, It doesn't specify on the site I got them from, they were cheap ones just to fix the previous issue I had. It is starting to sound like the relay is the issue. Will test the OEM relay at the weekend and find out for sure :) Thanks for the help!

TheFemaleBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have figured out what the problem is, the new turn signals have 23W bulbs in them and the OEM ones are only 10W bulbs, which explains the issue. I have ordered some new 10W bulbs to fit the new turn signals, that should hopefully fix the problem. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have figured out what the problem is, the new turn signals have 23W bulbs in them and the OEM ones are only 10W bulbs, which explains the issue. I have ordered some new 10W bulbs to fit the new turn signals, that should hopefully fix the problem. :)

^^ It does explain the Long "OFF TIME", as the device has too cool down between "flashes".

That said, if these are budget signals, turn the flashers on and step back a GOOD DISTANCE in the SUN and make sure you can see them with the new lower wattage lamps. Those bright lamps may be in there for a reason!

Again - the electronic flasher relay will fix this issue.