tuning my newly aquired fz6 s2 2009

billbytheway

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
1st post, just joined you, and need help before I spend!!!
So I bought a 2009 s2 with just 4700 miles in standard trim with just a Givi rack and Scottoiler. Now the good news... I got her off Ebay for £3275 thats £1000 under UK values at least! Yee Ha!
First immpressions, a bit flat compared to my 43,000 mile 2000 model, but its deceptive as that one had a noisy can which can fuddle the brain.

So anyway I am considering certain tuning choices.
Firstly I MAY remove the CAT. (No offence here in UK) . Now I can do this by simpy removing the mid pipe, chop out the cat and weld in an identical length of stainless, OR some tell me you can simply knock the cat material out with a hammer and a blunt drift! (true or not anybody?)

Secondly, as I do not want the expense of a set of Leo Vinci or similar (£400 or so in UK) my main man and ace welder can cut open the original rear box, rip out all the obstructive bits, and create a straight through with absorption tubes wrapped in wadding, then sew her back together. He is quite good at this kinda thing and only want about £75!.

Note... to do this I will buy a spare rear box of Ebay and keep the original for putting her back if it goes pear shaped!

So with these to mods most people say I will need a Power Commander. The latest '5' version for the 2009 FZ6 is £300 in UK. Question... Will I need it?
Removing the CAT and freeing up the silencer will significantly reduce back pressure.

I welcome comments, alternatives. Cheers Bill

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
By no means should a 09 be flat. Did you buy a restricted model?

The FZ is a rev'r it starts pulling at 5k rpm and screams at 12k. You won't get any noticeable power in the low end by butchering your exhaust system might even loose some below 4k.

Try keeping it a 4 to 5k for cursing and wind it out a little see how it feels.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have exactly the same setup you are thinking about going with and I love it, yes its loud but I like it that way so to answer your first question about the cat yes you can knock out the material, I took a 7/8 drill bit and went through the center of mine first and then worked it with a hammer and chisel. As for your second question no you do not need a power commander unless you want to make the most of it but it is not necessary. A whole lot cheeper route to adjust the fuel is available on the fz's its called the co adjustment. More or less its a built in fuel adjustment from yamaha so they could pass certain emmision standards. Not sure about your year model or uk model but on mine I had to tie into the wireing harness and ground a certain wire to be able to do this adjustment, if you are intrested in going this route im sure some of the uk guys would be willing to chime in...hope that info helps you out but anyways congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

billbytheway

Reaction score
Visit site
When I say flat, iSteve, all things are relative. I'm just comparing it to my previous 2000 bike with a fruity open pipe, and also to my slightly tuned 1995 cbr600 race bike. Both have better bottom end. Its a full power UK spec bike. I agree that attacking the silencer alone could cause some losses, but thats why I wanted to know if a P.C. was needed. Dynojet (of course)and some customers have said there are worthwhile gains from a more free flowing exhaust in conjunction with a P.C. but I like to listen to all arguments. Thanks

billbytheway

Reaction score
Visit site
ChevyFazer are you saying you have done the modified standard underseat silencer that I proposed? If so did you do it yourself and can you tell me more! Thanks. Bill

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Reducing back pressure on the FZ6 will probably cause it to loose bottom end: Check out this link: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/34007-exhaust-backpressure-fact-fiction.html

Many manufacturers include a valve so the exhaust system provides back pressure to the motor at lower RPM and opens when backpressure is no longer needed.

You could gut the system but then you'll want to incorporate a fuel management system and then get the bike dyno'd so you'll have an accurate map and healthy air to fuel ratio. All pretty pricey! You might find a decent slip on system and leave the CAT installed. This way the fuel management can be met by the OEM ECU. :rockon:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
ChevyFazer are you saying you have done the modified standard underseat silencer that I proposed? If so did you do it yourself and can you tell me more! Thanks. Bill

Yes and no when I got the bike it had already been cut open from the bottom side and gutted and re welded. Some of the baffles and the 2 main tubes were still in it I cut it back open and completely removed everything and installed a y and two pipes to the exits so pretty much its straight pipes inside a box the lack of backpressure did make it loose bottom end but everything that I lost on the bottom I would say came back plus some on the top end

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
1st post, just joined you, and need help before I spend!!!
So I bought a 2009 s2 with just 4700 miles in standard trim with just a Givi rack and Scottoiler. Now the good news... I got her off Ebay for £3275 thats £1000 under UK values at least! Yee Ha!
First immpressions, a bit flat compared to my 43,000 mile 2000 model, but its deceptive as that one had a noisy can which can fuddle the brain.

So anyway I am considering certain tuning choices.
Firstly I MAY remove the CAT. (No offence here in UK) . Now I can do this by simpy removing the mid pipe, chop out the cat and weld in an identical length of stainless, OR some tell me you can simply knock the cat material out with a hammer and a blunt drift! (true or not anybody?)

Secondly, as I do not want the expense of a set of Leo Vinci or similar (£400 or so in UK) my main man and ace welder can cut open the original rear box, rip out all the obstructive bits, and create a straight through with absorption tubes wrapped in wadding, then sew her back together. He is quite good at this kinda thing and only want about £75!.

Note... to do this I will buy a spare rear box of Ebay and keep the original for putting her back if it goes pear shaped!

So with these to mods most people say I will need a Power Commander. The latest '5' version for the 2009 FZ6 is £300 in UK. Question... Will I need it?
Removing the CAT and freeing up the silencer will significantly reduce back pressure.

I welcome comments, alternatives. Cheers Bill

OKAY.... As far as I know the cat will not affect performance unless it becomes clogged. Opening up the rear muffler portion should reduce back pressure to a point, probably will not be that dramatic.... but if it is equipped with an 02 sensor, it should run fine. The addition of a Power Commander is to re-map the engine for performance.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum

Hate to say it but, :needpics:

Nice to have you here. Remember, ride your own ride, ATGATT, post often and POST PICS

billbytheway

Reaction score
Visit site
can somebody please point me to the thread on this 'earth wire' which enables the dash buttons for CO adjustment. My man is now ready to 'create' a new inside to the underseat exhaust can. Cheers Bill

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and congratulations! First mod I'd consider is installing crash pads :) Then new tires! After this I'd recommend doing the other mods to the bike. Have a nice stay here