TS saddle questions

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I am considering getting a Top Saddlery seat for my FZ6 and have a couple questions from those of you who have one.

1) I am 6'1" tall and would like a bit more seat height. Is the TS saddle any taller?

2) I tend to sit all the way back on the stock saddle. Is the riser on the TS seat the same distance from the front as the stock part? I don't want to be forced closer to the tank. I know TS has the option of a longer option but I was hoping to get one of there stock, cheaper, models.

Thanks.

Tim

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my TS seat. I am 6'1" and it works great for me. There is quite a pronounced hump in the middle which would prevent you from sliding back like you want. The seat seems a bit taller than the stock seat. Very comfortable seat. They might make one that's flatter from front to back but you would have to talk to TS. They usually have lots of premade seats which are a bit cheaper than a total custom one. Good luck they are worth the money. :rockon:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my TS seat. I am 6'1" and it works great for me. There is quite a pronounced hump in the middle which would prevent you from sliding back like you want. The seat seems a bit taller than the stock seat. Very comfortable seat. They might make one that's flatter from front to back but you would have to talk to TS. They usually have lots of premade seats which are a bit cheaper than a total custom one. Good luck they are worth the money. :rockon:

Thanks. I am torn between this saddle and sending my stock one to Spencer for modification. However, he does not increase the height and I would like a bit more. Ah, decisions.

Tim

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested in this as well. Being 6'4", the stock bike is a bit short for me. I can flat foot my FZ6 with quite a bend in my knees. And then when I sit down and compress the springs nearly all the way, I'm even lower. It does make getting on and off the bike pretty easy though:D

I see alot of short guys getting seats that lower the overall seat position by a bit. Like you, I just want the opposite of that! That can't be too much to ask!

Good luck and if you go with TS, let us know if they can add more foam to make it taller for you and how it works out!

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
Find a good highly recommended upholstery shop that's local to you. You'll spend the same or less and get exactly what you want.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think different seat height in TS seats is a crapshoot. I have standard TS seat and the height is identical to my original one. So, height difference is more likely due to who happen to put it together or maybe difference in seat pans. One thing is for sure, you will not be able to slide backwards in TS. If that is what you are looking for, TS is not a seat for you.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I think different seat height in TS seats is a crapshoot. I have standard TS seat and the height is identical to my original one. So, height difference is more likely due to who happen to put it together or maybe difference in seat pans. One thing is for sure, you will not be able to slide backwards in TS. If that is what you are looking for, TS is not a seat for you.

Still looking for the answer as to how far back the riser is on the TS seat. Is the distance the same as stock? I tend to sit almost against the rise on the stock seat and don't want the TS to move me much forward of that position.

The TS rise seems more abrupt that the gentle slope of the stock so it is difficult to judge the distance in photos.

Tim

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mcteague,

You will defenitly be pushed forward with a TS seat. It's absolutely certain!
The standard TS seat rise is more abrupt as a mini back-butt rest (if I may say)... You will lose about 2 to 3 inches on the rear of the rider seat, for the passenger's benefit!

Have a look at the 1st pic and you will understand what I mean: on top OEM seat, under TS seat...
I'm 6'2" and it's not a problem for my riding style, but I have to add you are like sat "in" the hollow of the seat, see 2nd pic, near not to be able to move your butt backward/forward...

The TS seat, IMHO, is not higher, but a bit thicker and wider/rounder on the edges between legs than the stock one, so you may feel your legs more "put apart" the bike...

I'm very happy with my TS seat!
Cheers,
Gobs

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I am considering getting a Top Saddlery seat for my FZ6 and have a couple questions from those of you who have one.

1) I am 6'1" tall and would like a bit more seat height. Is the TS saddle any taller?

2) I tend to sit all the way back on the stock saddle. Is the riser on the TS seat the same distance from the front as the stock part? I don't want to be forced closer to the tank. I know TS has the option of a longer option but I was hoping to get one of there stock, cheaper, models.

Thanks.

Tim

I'll second the notion of going to a local shop, and having them reupholster the pan you have now.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Still looking for the answer as to how far back the riser is on the TS seat. Is the distance the same as stock? I tend to sit almost against the rise on the stock seat and don't want the TS to move me much forward of that position.

The TS rise seems more abrupt that the gentle slope of the stock so it is difficult to judge the distance in photos.

Tim

Sorry, I didn't answer that question. Yes, it is same distance (at least on mine), and because of the sharp incline on the TS seat, you will "not" be able to sit in a same position on TS and will find yourself pushed forward compared to stock seat. As good as they are, I am not sure TS is what you are looking for on a seat. If you find yourself down my way (DC area), I'll let you try it out, so you know for sure if that is what you want.

Last edited:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking sending it to Spencer may be my best option. I'm not aware of anyone near Baltimore who specializes in motorcycle seats. Here is the e-mail I got from Spencer, sounds like he offers a lot for not much money.

Tim,

Thank you for your interest in my work.

The typical requests for the single piece FZ6 seat are correction of the seats angle to provide a more neutral position with less of a forward slant to the tank, creation of an actual supportive seating pocket, and a softening of the frontal midline to take pressure off of the crotch. These changes combine to better distribute your weight across the width of the seat rather than concentrating it in the crowned center. Adding the Supracor material included in the LD mod is definitely recommended. It will allow a more form fitting shape, provide better weight distribution, reduce vibration in the seat, and dampen road shock. The Supracor works for the rider because it is a dynamic material with an instant rebound. It moves with you, working with your weight shifts for proper bike control. If you use a material in the riders section that "takes a set" it locks you in one position and fights against you. This is the main problem with foams as the rider is constantly moving, even while cruising the highway you are making small corrections in your weight distribution.

Pricing would be the minimum of $50 for the actual work to the riders section and a $25 material charge for the Supracor.

A photo of you on the bike is helpful and appreciated, but not an absolute necessity. Each seat is set up specifically for the rider so any additional information you think I may need regarding your position, type of riding, any medical concerns you may have should be listed in the special instructions area on the order form. When you think you have given me too much information, just a little more should be about right.

Please ship at your convenience, all that I ask is that you drop me note when you do so that I can properly set my schedule. My current with the spring rush is 48 hours so your only real downtime will be in shipping. If you visit my web site you can find the order form as well as my FAQ page which contains more information regarding shipping, payment, and a bunch (probably too much) general information. Contact me any time if you have questions.

Thanks again and ride safe, Spencer

Flash Intro Page
Now offering Amsoil, Mothers, and Brite Side products.

Tim