Truly Amazing!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not as daft as it seems, I have seen two studies on this (at the time I was a nurse in an ED) one of the studies suggested that it was the lack of natural sleep was a contributing factor. As we all know during sleep our bodies repait and regenerate. Any one knows that has work nights that you are just in a constant jet lagged state. Two yeras ago I worked 21 12 hoyur night shifts in a row over the december period just to get X-mas off. Yep I slept for 48 hours lol.
On a serious note it would be interesting to see what scorphonic may have to add.

Neil

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not Scorphonic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

Working during the night would expose you to less of the Sun's cosmic rays than during the day, which maybe would decrease your chances of cancer. Hmmm....

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
d'Oh! Disregard my previous reply. Cosmic rays fly right thru man-made structures, so being home asleep during the day won't decrease your exposure at all.
[Gilda Radner voice] "Never mind!" [/Gilda Radner voice]
:eek:

W

wrightme43

Completley off topic but on a nuclear submarine, pressed up as close as you can get to the nuclear reactor with out going inside the system you get less radiation than you do standing outside in the sun.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: As a member of staff in hospital, I apparently receive the Equivalent radiation of about 20 chest X-rays a year.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: As a member of staff in hospital, I apparently receive the Equivalent radiation of about 20 chest X-rays a year.

Niel you may have hit the nail on the head, As nearly all nurses and airline crews work night shift, In hospitals the only people working day shifts are the desk jockeys, who are not at all exposed to the x-rays that the nurses are.
The airline crews are regularly exposed to the numerous radar and radio signals found on and around an airfield. In both cases the single dosage is not above safety levels but maybe, just maybe prolonged dosage might cause this.

It's just an idea.

S

sportrider

I worked swing shift for four years a while back, I didn't really lose any sleep, it just felt like all I did was live to work. day shift is much better in my opinion.