Trouble getting the bike into first after stopping

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Still getting used to the FZ. I notice that when i slow down to stop and downshift all the way to 3rd or 2nd, then pull the clutch in and come to a stop, it is really difficult to get the bike into 1st. I have to fiddle with it, find nuetral, let the clutch out, pull it back in, then it easily slips into first.

If i downshift to 1st while slowing down, i obviously don't have an issue, but it's not always convenient to shift all the way to first.

Anyone experienced the same thing? Any ideas?

Mine is an '08 with 24xx miles.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a pretty common thing with most bikes and nothing to be concerned with. If you are at a stop and the shifter does not want to click down to 1st, just roll the bike forward or back a tad while pressing the shifter and it will go right into gear.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Why would you NOT want to be in 1st every time you come to a stop? It's a safety thing as well as a good habit to get into. My MSF coach told us to downshift 13 times every time we slowed to a stop...Why? Because it guarantees you will be in first every time.

Last edited:

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you ever aadjust and lubed your clutch cable?
It could be your technique but I started having problems with getting in first at around 18K (km). Installed new cable - smooth as silk.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why would you NOT want to be in 1st every time you come to a stop? It's a safety thing as well as a good habit to get into. My MSF coach told us to downshift 13 times every time we slowed to a stop...Why? Because it gaurantees you will be in first every time.

100% correct. You absolutely always want to be in 1st when you come to a stop (in 1st before full stop).
Bikes do not like to shift when they're standing still, but if you use proper technique (stopping in 1st) this is never an issue.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
During the emergency stop portion of the test, points are deducted for not going into first before putting your foot down.

I do it, but during my commute there are several long lights. Once I get a car fully stopped behind me, I put in in N and rest both arms.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
During the emergency stop portion of the test, points are deducted for not going into first before putting your foot down.

I do it, but during my commute there are several long lights. Once I get a car fully stopped behind me, I put in in N and rest both arms.

That's fine.. I think we all do that when condition permit it, but we all still stop in first. If you were to stop in say 3rd, you would likely run into same issue as original poster.

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I will try the idea of rolling the bike back and forth to get it into first.

I do try to downshift to first all the time, but sometimes i lose track of my downshifts, then when i let out the clutch just a little to crawl forward a little, i realize i'm not in first.

I did try to oil the cable recently.

I am waiting for the KillerNoodle mod. Will that help too?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

#1 thing that will help... get it into first as you come to a stop :BLAA:

Seriously, it's like trying to fix poor braking technique by buying a bike with ABS. Downshifting into 1st is an essential part of riding. Work on it.. your mind shouldn't wonder when you ride.. no crumple zone and 17 air bags to protect you.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing too different from what the other guys said, really:

I have a few habits when riding. One is clutching and pushing down on the shifter after downshifting into first, then pushing down on it 2 or three more times. This guarantees I'm always in first when I stop, even if I'm certain which gear I'm in. I always put just the left foot down, unless it's a REALLY long light. That way I have to be in first and have my foot on the ground before the transmission stops. In the rare event that I'm stuck in second or neutral, usually due to an unexpectedly hurried stop, rolling the bike a bit lets it slip in, as described above.

I also cancel the turn signal every time I go through an intersection, even if it's not on. I go through gloves. But I'm rarely signaling when I don't mean to be.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing too different from what the other guys said, really:

I have a few habits when riding. One is clutching and pushing down on the shifter after downshifting into first, then pushing down on it 2 or three more times. This guarantees I'm always in first when I stop, even if I'm certain which gear I'm in. I always put just the left foot down, unless it's a REALLY long light. That way I have to be in first and have my foot on the ground before the transmission stops. In the rare event that I'm stuck in second or neutral, usually due to an unexpectedly hurried stop, rolling the bike a bit lets it slip in, as described above.

I also cancel the turn signal every time I go through an intersection, even if it's not on. I go through gloves. But I'm rarely signaling when I don't mean to be.

All very good habits! :thumbup:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
If for some reason you do end up stopped in a gear that's not 1st, just ease the clutch out while pressing down on the shifter. Nothing wrong with the bike, just the rider! :p

I've downshifted to 1st at about 40mph before, and my transmission hasn't exploded yet. It's not like you often downshift into 1st without using the clutch, and with the clutch disengaged, it shouldn't do any harm.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I will try the idea of rolling the bike back and forth to get it into first.

I do try to downshift to first all the time, but sometimes i lose track of my downshifts, then when i let out the clutch just a little to crawl forward a little, i realize i'm not in first.

I did try to oil the cable recently.

Talking about loosing track of what gear your in, I do that all the time because I mainly just go by "what feels right" for the rpm and speed I'm going and completely forget what gear I'm in. But when coming to a stop I down shift all the way to first like many others have said and then try to shift into 0, -1,-2, -3, -4 like mike does to try and make sure I'm in first. But to double check that I am in first, since if it happens to be in a higher gear it will feel the same when trying to downshift, I'll pop it into neutral for a sec just to make absolutely sure I'm in first. I started do this after i made a fool of myself at a light. There was this absolutely drop dead gorgeous girl that pulled up next to me that i had seen a few times before and said "so when are you gonna take me for a ride" trying to be smooth, funny and everything else I said " I'll RIDE you whenever you think your ready" well she laughed, I laughed, light turned green I was in some gear other than first and tried to take off but stalled so hard I about dropped the bike....

Yeah she really laughed then....

irish190

Reaction score
Visit site
Slippiong the clutch a little helps me, Every bike I've ever ridden does the same thing at times. Always a good idea to stay in 1st when stopped, saved me once or twice.