Trist Of The Wrist I & II vs. Total Control

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard alot about the twist of the wrist books (1 & 2) and total control. I am wondering if one is better than the other?? I got a $50 gift cert. to amazon.com and plan on getting a VW engine book but then want to get something related to street riding skills.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either book?? OR can you recommend something better, or even a skills movie is there are any good ones..

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no experience with the twist of the wrist books, but I read Total Control and can say that it's a quality book. I bought it before taking one of the author's riding clinics and found it quite helpful, full of good advice and drills to practice. First time I ever dragged a knee was at his clinic doing cornering exercises.

Funkmaxtor

Reaction score
Visit site
I am currently reading Total Control. I am about half way through it and have practiced a few of the drills he suggests in the book. I can definitely tell a difference in my riding.

On a side note, I find it very easy to fall back into my old habits so I plan on practicing the drills multiple times to make them my new habits.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
totw is designed for track riding and very quick street riding. it definitely 100% helps slower speed stuff too....but it is geared for the track and fast street

i cant speak for the total control book

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
i really enjoyed this book [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1933958359/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249529665&sr=8-1]Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding[/ame], and read it every winter to remind myself.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
i really enjoyed this book Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding, and read it every winter to remind myself.

I'm currently reading that for the second time right now! I've not read TC or TOTW. I tend to feel that the things that will improve my safety the most is understanding the problems I might encounter on the road, and this is what PM is all about. PM also has an interesting perspective on how much you can "hang it out there" in terms of risk if you want to be a long term rider. Answer: not very much.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently reading that for the second time right now! I've not read TC or TOTW. I tend to feel that the things that will improve my safety the most is understanding the problems I might encounter on the road, and this is what PM is all about. PM also has an interesting perspective on how much you can "hang it out there" in terms of risk if you want to be a long term rider. Answer: not very much.

True. The only complaint I have with the book is the binding is not so good. I have pages falling out and that happened early. I don't know if they have improved on that yet. Still worth the info inside of it. I recommend it to anyone looking for information and would buy it again if I lost it or handed off to someone.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
For normal riding on the street, Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding is just about the best on the market IMO.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a copy of Twist 1 that I got back in 1985, I still review it from time to time.

Total Control is okay, many of the ideas that Code wrote in T1 are told a different way in TC.

The book I like best is Sport Riding Techniques: How to Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety and Confidence on the Street and Track, by Nick Ienatsch. Nick has been a motorcycle magazine editor for about 25 years and an AMA 250 champion. I like his writing style; straight forward, no pizzas involved either.

I recommend Nick's book over TC.

FZ6drummer

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm a little over half way through twist of the wrist, and have the second one waiting in line. so far i've been very impressed with it. even though it is geared for track riding more than anything, i've found that my street riding skills have greatly improved.

Disco@cyclesector

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read all three books. They are all good. I would start with total control and then move on the the Twist Books. Total Control is more basic. By Twist 2 you are getting into some more advanced techniques.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I liked Proficient Motorcycling much more than TOTW, haven't read the other book.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Borrow all of them from your local library, then determine which deserves a place on your bookshelf. :thumbup:

For me, Total Control and Sport Riding Techniques (the first more than the latter) are ones I can read and read again, and still get something new from. Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" tomes read (to me...so take this with appropriate grains of salt) like the MSF course manual. Code's books I've not yet read, but the feedback seems to be that they're more on the techie side.

Depends on your riding, I suppose: are you a tourer looking for better practices, zippy with an eye toward skill and safety, or looking to launch out of curves faster? The best books for you speak to your riding style.

Good luck to you in your decision :Flash: