Trip Ideas

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear some dream riding trips people have kicking around in the back of their skulls.

I'll kick things off with one I really want to do within the next 2-3 years.

KTM 990 Adventure + Iceland + 20 days

The 990 adventure is this dealie here:

122_0605_01_z+2006_ktm_990_adventure+static_right_side.jpg

It is a pretty big bike (I'm 6'3" and my knees don't bend much when feet are on floor when seated in it) and brilliant for all terrains.

Iceland is the most amazing place on earth from what I have gathered with respect to geology and natural phenomena from all the volcanic and other activity going on there.

Imagine riding down the middle of this with not a soul around for hundreds of miles........

iceland-landscape.jpg

This is Iceland.....and only 300,000 people live there....most of them on that ring road around the country.

$150 a day books you one of these: AdMo-Tours Motorcycle Rental in Reykjavik, Iceland - BMW, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Vento, Yamaha

Or you could arrange to fly in your own bike somehow. Or ship it in advance via shipping container on a cargo ship, then meet the bike there. I assume that would be much cheaper.

I don't know. I've just had this on the brain for a long while now. Started looking into the details a little bit tonight. And was curious what other random dream rides people have cooked up in their minds.

P.S. Madagascar is supposed to be amazing too because of the way so much life evolved on it and was removed from everything else around the world for so long. Plus it's purdy.

Also, In most south american countries you can book a bike for 15 days for about $1500. Add in travel and incidentals and that's a $4,000 trip for 15-16 days on a honda 650 duallie. Or smaller, if you are so inclined.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear some dream riding trips people have kicking around in the back of their skulls.

I'll kick things off with one I really want to do within the next 2-3 years.

KTM 990 Adventure + Iceland + 20 days

The 990 adventure is this dealie here:

122_0605_01_z+2006_ktm_990_adventure+static_right_side.jpg

It is a pretty big bike (I'm 6'3" and my knees don't bend much when feet are on floor when seated in it) and brilliant for all terrains.

Iceland is the most amazing place on earth from what I have gathered with respect to geology and natural phenomena from all the volcanic and other activity going on there.

Imagine riding down the middle of this with not a soul around for hundreds of miles........

iceland-landscape.jpg

This is Iceland.....and only 300,000 people live there....most of them on that ring road around the country.

$150 a day books you one of these: AdMo-Tours Motorcycle Rental in Reykjavik, Iceland - BMW, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Vento, Yamaha

Or you could arrange to fly in your own bike somehow. Or ship it in advance via shipping container on a cargo ship, then meet the bike there. I assume that would be much cheaper.

I don't know. I've just had this on the brain for a long while now. Started looking into the details a little bit tonight. And was curious what other random dream rides people have cooked up in their minds.

P.S. Madagascar is supposed to be amazing too because of the way so much life evolved on it and was removed from everything else around the world for so long. Plus it's purdy.

Also, In most south american countries you can book a bike for 15 days for about $1500. Add in travel and incidentals and that's a $4,000 trip for 15-16 days on a honda 650 duallie. Or smaller, if you are so inclined.
Have you forgotten that bloody volcano? :eek:

Apart from Tassie which I'm doing with Prebstar, Humperdinkel/Kel, Wolfman/Jess in Feb/Mar, my dream ride would be to travel around this wonderful country of Australia.

Also, after watching the Tour de France this week, it rates as a good 2nd

I'd be on a big, comfy BMW though :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you forgotten that bloody volcano? :eek:

Apart from Tassie which I'm doing with Prebstar, Humperdinkel/Kel, Wolfman/Jess in Feb/Mar, my dream ride would be to travel around this wonderful country of Australia.

Also, after watching the Tour de France this week, it rates as a good 2nd

I'd be on a big, comfy BMW though :D

an R1200GS would be my next choice, but I know I would want to be a complete loon and go places I shouldnt. The KTM's are much better for that....they don't weigh 975 pounds. lol.

And isn't Australia just Syndey, Melbourne, then a bunch of desert? What's there to see apart from urban, bit of coast, and desert?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Canada! As much of it as possible!

Done Europe, would like to do America too, but Canada really is my next dream destination....

Although the upcoming FZ6 Forum tour of Tassie was high on the fantasy list...till now!

As for choice of bike....if budget was no concern....a BMW K1300S with all the good bits!

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After Tassie , definately the Top Gear Vietnam challenge :thumbup: But a motorbike tour of Tassie always has been a dream & we are about to live it :steve: :rockon: Top Gear: Vietnam Special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1zfuBgCUqY]YouTube - Vietnam Motorbike special part 1 - Top Gear - BBC[/ame]

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to locate it on the web but I saw it in a Motorcycle Mag. A four month tour that would take you around the world. I will post what I find when I find it. I would love to be able to say I road a motorcycle in every content.

I think the Iceland tour would be awsome too. Heck any tour that would take you to another country and ride a motorcycle on would be sweet.

Here's one that I found which I think would be cool if I could find someone crazy enough to do it with...
Angkor Dirt Bike Tours – Motorcycle Tours Cambodia | Just another WordPress weblog
Angkor Dirt Bike Tour... :rockon:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to explore India with a Royal Enfield.
Won't happen in a million years......:(

It won't happen in a million years? Why?

I've ridden a Royal Enfield in India, but for the most part I rode scooters down there. Family trips every couple years for couple months at a time. It's great.....so long as you stay away from traffic....

I'd love to do India on an R1200GS though.

I'm trying to locate it on the web but I saw it in a Motorcycle Mag. A four month tour that would take you around the world. I will post what I find when I find it. I would love to be able to say I road a motorcycle in every content.

I think the Iceland tour would be awsome too. Heck any tour that would take you to another country and ride a motorcycle on would be sweet.

Here's one that I found which I think would be cool if I could find someone crazy enough to do it with...
Angkor Dirt Bike Tours – Motorcycle Tours Cambodia | Just another WordPress weblog
Angkor Dirt Bike Tour...

That looks insane. The thing I don't get about paying for tours though is you could do that sort of thing on your own with some mates. But that is such a low price for the tour it would be worth it for the aid available. But personally if I do an extreme trek I would want to do it solo or with a handful of mates. That would make it more extreme.....the lack of support.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks insane. The thing I don't get about paying for tours though is you could do that sort of thing on your own with some mates. But that is such a low price for the tour it would be worth it for the aid available. But personally if I do an extreme trek I would want to do it solo or with a handful of mates. That would make it more extreme.....the lack of support.

The one thing about having a tour would be not worrying about bringing your own bike, along with having a guide as well. I've thought about doing my own tour with some one I knew or meeting up with locals to be the guide. With all the different people on this forum from all the different parts of the world it would be possible to do just that. I think it would be a great adventure to do it that way, tour a different country with some forum friends and have them show you their favorite spots.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
My sister bicycled around madagascar when she was 20 and absolutely loved it. Nothing bad to say, im assuming on a MC youd have so much extra time you could REALLY enjoy the scenery.

This year me and a friend (he had his Vstrom 650) left calgary, headed north to prince george, then prince rupert. Took the day cruise from rupert to Port Hardy, rode down the island and back through Osoyoos/invermere. Tenting/camping as much as we could and motelling after the really long days. I highly recommend it if you havent done it, and its not quite as "exotic" or intimidating as something along the lines of Iceland.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok im here:
07_ff.jpg

and pisssss yep got a puncture,guess what my mobbies not got a signal either....Now what Lone ???? I said we should of gone to Florida lol
icon_cry.gif

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
My ideal trip would be starting off in New England, heading down through NC, KY, TN, MS, TX, then up around the west coast riding route one. Up through Montana, stopping in Chicago and heading north through Michigan up into CA, through NY to return home.

In a nutshell, I want to ride cross country. I'm not sure when or how it will happen but one of these days I will do it.