Trip from ND to UP Michigan

nabaah

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a pretty sweet trip. I've been wanting to ride around the UP for a couple days, but haven't done it yet. I've been across the Mackinaw Bridge once on the bike and the was pretty cool. I've heard there's lots of cool old copper mines you can go check out too. I have yet to try a pastie for myself, but I have heard they are really good. Almost 1700miles is a lot to do in 5 days on that seat. I bet it started to pretty rough. Thanks for sharing your trip I looks like you had a lot of fun.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the pics. Besides the seat (do I see an aftermarket seat on your bike now?), what do you want in a touring bike. I took the FZ6 on a 2700 mile trip a few weeks a go, and a camping trip last week. I'm happy with it, and I will only go bigger when I start pulling a tent camper.

Joe

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a top saddlery seat that I absolutely love, but I determined the seat is a little too narrow. It feels like the edges of my legs/butt cheecks are not supported so it puts tension on the muscles and skin. I'm thinkin an fjr or a bmw might have a more supportive saddle since the bike itself is much bigger and probably wider. Also would like electronic cruise control. I will be keeping this bike for a while tho because I love it, and can't afford a newer bike right now (and the wife won't allow it :confused:). Also, where I live there are no good roads, so I am willing to sacrifice some sport to gain some comfort.

I just need a wider bike or narrower ass lol;)

Btw I am 190 lbs, and just under 6 feet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fish, thanks for the ride report. I rented a wing in Minneapolis and rode the UP back in 09. Gay and Copper Harbor were real fun. Your pictures brought back some great memories.

3 bikes and no tire repair kit? :spank:

The FJR makes a nice distance machine......just saying :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.....two guys in the picture, how appropriate.

P6281943.jpg

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Great post! Looks like an awesome trip. I may be planning a trip from St. Louis, MO to Lake Geneva, WI sometime in the next couple months. It's only about a 6 hour drive, but it will be my first 'bike trip.' I always wondered what I would do if I got a flat somewhere. Guess I need a tire repair kit, huh? lol

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
What tire repair kit do you guys recomend?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's what I did for all my bikes. Buy a small cheap 12v air compressor and replace the cig. lighter plug on the end with a 2 prong plug that fits your battery tender plug (or wire in a plug to the battery) Now you have air anywhere you go. Then buy a tire plug kit, the one with the gummy strings as they work best. Slime has a nice tire repair kit with the strings. Wouldn't hurt to carry a small sharp knife or even better a leatherman multi tool.
Bam- your done!

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's what I did for all my bikes. Buy a small cheap 12v air compressor and replace the cig. lighter plug on the end with a 2 prong plug that fits your battery tender plug (or wire in a plug to the battery) Now you have air anywhere you go. Then buy a tire plug kit, the one with the gummy strings as they work best. Slime has a nice tire repair kit with the strings. Wouldn't hurt to carry a small sharp knife or even better a leatherman multi tool.
Bam- your done!

I did this, but the lead to the battery has a fuse, and it blew. I think it was 20 amp. Does your lead have a fuse?

Joe

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance you remember the name of that road from Munising to Grand Marais? I google mapped it and County Rd. 58 looks like the most winding. Just wanna double check. I am planning a trip around Lake Michigan in the near future and looking for some great roads to take. Thanks in advance.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.....two guys in the picture, how appropriate.

P6281943.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that...LOL!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZPcGapl2dM]Seinfeld " Not that there is anything wrong with that" - YouTube[/ame]

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance you remember the name of that road from Munising to Grand Marais? I google mapped it and County Rd. 58 looks like the most winding. Just wanna double check. I am planning a trip around Lake Michigan in the near future and looking for some great roads to take. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is county road 58. Also called Adams Trail at some points.

I couldn't recomend it more. Enjoy!