Tranny problem

bocatz

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my bike and I'm not sure if this is a problem with the transmission, when I'm in any gear and let go of the throttle then put on some throttle there is a jolt its never smooth. When I change gears with the clutch its smooth...Not sure if this is how the bike should be???

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I just got my bike and I'm not sure if this is a problem with the transmission, when I'm in any gear and let go of the throttle then put on some throttle there is a jolt its never smooth. When I change gears with the clutch its smooth...Not sure if this is how the bike should be???

First: :welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

And now for something completely different:

If I'm reading it right, it's normal, - if you are more gentle and smooth coming back on the throttle, it won't jolt.
But it does not sound like the bike is having problems.

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
This is normal for these motorcycles unfortunately. You might check your chain tension. If your chain is looser than spec then it may make the jolt worse. Other than that its normal.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel injected bikes are prone to harsh off idle throttle response. With practice you can learn to be smoother. Try not to transistion from idle to throttle in the middle of a turn. Slow down before you enter the turn so you can apply some throttle through the turn.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to what the others have said. It's probably my single biggest complaint about the bike. I notice mine the most when I'm in second gear going around a curve and trying to roll onto the throttle; once the trottle drops below a certain point it always "jolts" back on when I roll the tube back past that point.

I swear I can hear a point right above off throttle, but below 1/4 throttle where the fuel pump/injectors don't make a sound and then right when the jolt hits I can hear the hum of the pump/injectors again.

I wonder if a custom fuel map has cured this, or if anyone else thinks it's fuel delivery related? My chain is in spec and I keep it clean.

W

wrightme43

I have lessened that jolt three ways.

One absolutely no throttle freeplay no matter what the manual says.

Two throttle control drills.

Buy Lee Parks book Total Control and practice his drills. They work.

Keep the bike in the power area, and slip the clutch a bit.

I hate the jolt.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Custom maps can help if properly done but may not completely eliminate the problem. It is a downside to FI.

In addition to the other tips, you can use a little rear brake to control speed so you don't have to completely roll off the throttle.

Practice, practice, practice..........