Track tire pressures and spring loads

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
Heading to my first track days this weekend and getting my bike prepped for the track and I just had a question on tire pressures. Should I keep the recommended stock tire pressure or reduce it around 7-10 PSI on both tires? Also, is there a semi quick way to stiffen the front forks just for the track day? I ordered stronger springs and emulators but wont get them in till after the track and I'm still concerned with the front springs being too weak.

Thanks in advance!

stpetemike

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure of the exact numbers but yes lower your tire pressures. I think mine were lowered to 25ish by the person running the track day. They worked great ! This was on a bmw r1150gs though.

Jennings GP ? Awesome track !

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
How'd you know Jennings?? Are...are you outside my window?

So its basically whatever they would recommend for that day then specifically to your bike?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
if there's a tyre guy on track then it might be worth asking them

I'd probably lower them to around 30-32. If it's your first time I wouldn't worry about lowering them too much. If you get hot tearing, then you might need to up them a little.

You might be able to fit some kind of spacers to your forks to increase the preload, but again I wouldn't worry too much if it's your first time.

stpetemike

Reaction score
Visit site
How'd you know Jennings?? Are...are you outside my window?

So its basically whatever they would recommend for that day then specifically to your bike?

Jennings was where I got to do my track day. Road up there, took off the panniers, lowered tire pressure, taped lights had a blast then put panniers back on pumped up tires and rode home.

Yes I would find the person running the track day and ask them for advice or perhaps another rider on a like machine ?

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Take a good spirit ride and check your pressure hot. Then start a bit lower at your first session. Check out the psi right after your session and bleed or pump your pressure to the "hot psi you had"

On race cars we keep track of hot psi since it's more consistent from session to session. Once you tire cool down you will have your cold psi. But just like some people said, on your first track day don't worry too much about tire psi...

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
stpetemike;540992 Yes I would find the person running the track day and ask them for advice or perhaps another rider on a like machine ?[/QUOTE said:
Well, we are going up on two FZs, it's my first time and my buddies second. All in all, it should be really fun

stpetemike

Reaction score
Visit site
right on ! that's what it's all about having a good time :rockon:

Don't get too caught up in being fast just have fun and become much more comfortable with your bikes abilities. Be safe !

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Begin with 30 front, 28 rear. That is cold, after the first real session measure them again. You're looking for a 3 to 4 psi gain. As the day goes on you'll probably need to keep bleeding air out as the track and day gets warmer.

As far as stiffening the front end have you measure static sag yet? If not do that first, you may not to do anything.

If you do need to increase preload, lift the front of the bike up, remove the bars, remove the fork caps, and add flat washers until you get the static sag you're looking for.

Honestly if this is your first track day make sure you have good tires, your bike is clean and works correctly. Not having springs and emulators isn't going to hold you back.

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as stiffening the front end have you measure static sag yet? If not do that first, you may not to do anything.

If you do need to increase preload, lift the front of the bike up, remove the bars, remove the fork caps, and add flat washers until you get the static sag you're looking for. .

I did the calculations based on weight and I do have new springs coming in just because I hated the dip and increased spring load up to my weight. I just won't have them in in time for the track.

As far as tires, I'm gonna wear out the ones I have on already. The front tire is just about to touch the wear bars which should be ok, if the tech inspector doesn't like it, Im sure theres a way I can change my tire there someway