Track Day

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Headed for my first track day with the Fz6 on Monday. Wish me luck. I can't wait to give her a workout after all the mods.

I'm just looking to have fun and learn a few things. Anyone here with track experience? Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Over the last month I took the bike from stock to:

-1 front sprocket (with DID 520 chain and new rear sprocket), speedo healer, Two Brothers CF exhaust, Two Brothers Juice Box, air box mod, new Iridium plugs.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
No track experience sorry.....

I am curious to hear your feedback!

Have you done a trackday with you bike stock?

Have a blast!! :rockon:

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
What group are you going with and what track are you going to? I'm hoping to do a track day or two next year. Good luck!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have fun, take your time coming up to speed, listen to your instructors, and drink a lot!

Have fun, we expect photos! :thumbup:

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you. I'll try to get some pics. I live in Maryland, but I'm going to Summit Point in West Virginia.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
Headed for my first track day with the Fz6 on Monday. Wish me luck. I can't wait to give her a workout after all the mods.

Good luck , Njoy.. you will have blast.

Have you done a trackday with you bike stock?
Yes, In beginner group , you can ride FZ6 pretty much stock. Just tape up the lights,blinkers and mirrors with painters tape. Stock tires are not great for corners on track/off track. So that will be my first mod if I were you.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Have fun, take your time coming up to speed, listen to your instructors, and drink a lot!

Have fun, we expect photos! :thumbup:

What Pete said. :thumbup:

Good on you, your riding skills will improve more than you know.

I was a bit nervous on my first track day before I started riding with not knowing what to expect but once you get a few laps in you will be fine.
Expect to get your worse mpg on the track so if you can bring extra fuel. Gas at tracks is usually really $$, and some shade is good too if they don't have covered parking.
I like to ask an instructor to follow me in the afternoon for some one on one instruction. Also I avoid riders who are in a group and find some clear track to practice what they teach. Be careful toward the last hour as you may be more fatigued than you realize.
Most of all have fun!!!!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Instructors told me that the FZ6 gave me a huge advantage because I only had to lean a little bit forward to be in the best possible position.
Most of the others on their literbikes spend most of the days learning to bend their arms :D

Of course the FZ6 isn't exactly MotoGP material, but you can have a blast on track for sure!

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Take off the centre stand, tape up or remove your mirrors to stop you using them, disconnect or unplug your lights. Check fluid levels, drop tyre pressures to about 29psi, make sure you have fairly fresh brake pads, spend a couple of laps warming up each time. Don't try and cut people up on the corner, overtake on the outside of your are faster than them. Keep the engine singing, and don't fully throttle on until the bike is almost upright.

Oh and have fun :D

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Get in touch with the group that is putting on the track day. They each have their own specific requirements for each of the levels. (I have worked in registration for our local group this year.)
DEFINITELY start hydrating at least a few days BEFORE the event.
I did what is called "Test the Track" on Aug. 5th. It was a blast!!!

View attachment 44310

Have a blast!!!! :BLAA:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Take off the centre stand, tape up or remove your mirrors to stop you using them, disconnect or unplug your lights. Check fluid levels, drop tyre pressures to about 29psi, make sure you have fairly fresh brake pads, spend a couple of laps warming up each time. Don't try and cut people up on the corner, overtake on the outside of your are faster than them. Keep the engine singing, and don't fully throttle on until the bike is almost upright.

I never removed the center stand on my 07 for the two track days I did with the FZ6 and at 190# I never rubbed it.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to your new addiction :thumbup:

Are you riding to the track or towing the bike on a trailer? If you have a trailer, use it. If you don't have one, try to borrow or even hire one. This way you can pack all the gear that you will need throughout the day.

Try to do as much as you can the day before. Check chain tension, walk around the bike & ensure all nuts & bolts are tight. Check oil & radiator. Tyre wear. Brake pad wear. Check all your gear over. Clean your helmet & visor, ensure boots & zips are all working well.

Your 1st track day I can pretty much guarantee that you will quite nervous the day before. Settle the nerves by checking the bike over, that way when you arrive at the track all you have to worry about is YOU.

Stuff you will need.

-Tools. Spanners, sockets, screw drivers etc etc, zip ties & a roll of duct tape.
-Camp chair or folding chair. You will spend a lot of time standing around if you don't have one
-Food, water, gatorade or similar & sweets for a sugar hit when you need it
-Is there fuel available at the track? A fuel drum comes in real handy, hence the trailer
-Tyre pressure gauge. Check your pressures before you head out for the 1st session to make sure your tyres are ready. Your tyres will heat up & pressure will rise throughout the day. Check tyre pressures when you come in after each session. 1st thing while they're still hot & adjust the pressure accordingly. If you normally run 34psi on the road your tyres will heat up & gain around 5-7 psi. 41 psi is too high. Only make adjustments after you have been out & you have a figure to work with. This is extremely important. Also remember that the track will heat up throughout the day as the sun warms it & more bikes are circulating. Check your pressures after each session.

Try to get to the track early. If they say to be there at 0630, be there at 0620. The earlier the better. Nothing fries your nerves like running around when you're late.

Above all try to remain cool & calm. Give yourself plenty of time to do everything. If you get a 5 min warning that your group is out next, start you bike, kit up & be ready.

No one expects you to break the lap record so don't expect it of yourself. Spend the 1st session cruising around & learn what you can about the circuit. Do they have braking markers, where are the flag points & look for walls or anything else that you may not see once you get tunnel vision.

This may seem like a lot to take in but once you arrive at the track mechanically & mentally prepared your day will become a whole lot easier & a whole lot more enjoyable.

Good luck :thumbup:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site

There is no need to remove centrestand unless its to save a tiny bit of weight. The footrests go in the ground long before the centrestand would ever become a problem. No reason to tape up or remove the mirrors either - simply twist the mirror ends so that the glass is pointing downwards (unless local rules say you have to do otherwise). Regarding brakes just make sure the bike can brake. You don't need new/fresh pads. I have been riding on the same brakepads for 5 years and 30.000 km... and they work!

Last edited:

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your input. Pics will be coming soon, but I had a blast!!!!

A bit nervous at first, but soon got the hang of it and had tons of fun.

My brother-in-law bought a track bike after doing 2 track days so going with him was a great help. We had a canopy, chairs, tools, extra fuel, etc...

I learned a lot about the Fz6 and have zero regrets about owning one. I just need to make the suspension a little better (changing rear preload from 3 to 5 helped, but the front is way too soft)

For those who never did a track day, find the nearest track and GO! You'll be a better rider afterwards and have a ton of fun. We had 3 group levels and we rode 15 mins sessions, so 15-20 mins on and 45 off. Just enough time to recover, cool off, hydrate and get back on. All day from 9 am till 4 pm.

Here is what I learned:

- Being nervous and having fear is OK. Being ****y and stupid will get you in trouble fast

- The Fz can hang pretty well with a variety of bikes, by the end of the day I was passing other beginners in faster bikes

- Slow + Smooth = Fast (slow into the turns and a smooth line allows you to get into the throttle early out of the turns)

- Take your time learning the track and watching other guy's lines

- I was faster than I thought

- Damn, those other guys are really FAST

- you can go through 1 tank of gas in 90 miles.

- Dunlop sportmax Q2's are plenty sticky and look great with the edges melted off.

- Damn, those guys are fast

- If you think you're going too fast for a turn, don't give up! Lean into it and trust the bike. There's a very good chance the bike can handle it, but you'll never find out if you give up and run off course.

- I need better suspension (R6 forks???)

It's expensive, fun, and addictive. I can't wait to do it again. I'll figure out how to get some pics here soon. I also had a video camera, so I'll get some videos up as soon as I have time.

Thanks again for all the tips.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you had a blast :)

Regarding front suspension...

A bunch of people in here have done the R6 fork mod, så there are plenty of into about it. If you want to cash out for it then it won't get much better and as far as I remember there are better brakes on the R6 aswell!? I went for the easier and cheaper solution with tougher springs and thicker oil in the original fork (plenty of threads about this too I believe).

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I would really like to do a track day, to be honest. So thanks for the writeup!

But I'm worried about bringing my FZ6 to a track... If I were to eat it on there and scratch up the frame or plastics.. I would be so pissed at myself..

I guess I'll just have to save up for a track bike! :) (Looking at you SV650...)

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I would really like to do a track day, to be honest. So thanks for the writeup!

But I'm worried about bringing my FZ6 to a track... If I were to eat it on there and scratch up the frame or plastics.. I would be so pissed at myself..

I guess I'll just have to save up for a track bike! :) (Looking at you SV650...)

Frame sliders perhaps? :)

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, let the beatings begin....Here is the video of my track day. The camera is mounted on my tank.

On the 1st lap I follow the control rider, then I'm on my own.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuEf2Jp4RyM&list=HL1346179798&feature=mh_lolz]1st track day at Summit Point - YouTube[/ame]

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! Worth watching all the way through just to see your confidence building on every subsequent lap.
Loved the minor "pucker moment" at 14:22. :D
Been there, done that.

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! Worth watching all the way through just to see your confidence building on every subsequent lap.
Loved the minor "pucker moment" at 14:22. :D
Been there, done that.

Thanks, I definitely got better as the day went on. And yes, that was me paying attention to the guy in front of me and not to my own line. Down-shifting while still hard on the brakes with all the weight forward, causing the back tire to hop. Not fun but at least I didn't go straight.