Track day: Big Willow, April 3rd

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Merci David!

Great pics and video. :thumbup:

Very jealous of you all - Willow looks like a fantastic track.

I can't wait to do my first track day (hopefully within the next couple of months :))

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you all had a great track day and only broke the tires this time!! :D
Thanks for sharing the video and pics! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastico! Man you guys rocked! :rockon::rockon:
Thanks for the video and pics David
Tell Dad he did a great job with the camera! :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great photos David, thanks for posting them.

Would you say the wind was worse than last year? By the end of the day I felt like I as canted about 10 degrees to the right coming down the straight. I still haven't fixed my shade tent since Williow bent it in half. Thank goodness for the wrench, hammer and duct tape!

And you're right, Turn 1 is kinda odd. Almost every time I felt I could have gone fast upon exit, but at enterance the next last I couldn't make myself go much faster. That whole track is a big mind game, but I love it. :D

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a few additions as David has covered the rest of the day in depth:
- It was cool to be able to walk out on the track. My impressions of elevation and camber were validated. In addition, we could see just how old and cracked the tarmac is, they really need to scrape and repave.

- The wind sucked.

A lot.

All f***ing day long.

That track takes courage and confidence to ride under normal conditions and the wind prevented me from pushing any harder. < 1:30 will have to wait until next time..

- It was interesting that David's 05 GSXR and my 09 ZX-6R pulled equally down the front straight. It shows that ~30 lbs of additional weight takes about 15 HP to push through the air @130 MPH.
- The Bridgestone 003 RS is a perfect trackday tire. We bought them cheap ($190/pair delivered) and they NEVER gave either of us any trouble all day long. Just one minor pressure adjustment was all I needed.

It was nice to get back on to the track. It was even better to share the time with good friends. Thanks to Rob for coming out to support us and offer encouragement.

David, you make it all worth the stress and prep with your positive outlook and great insights. Thanks for being my friend.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
It was nice to get back on to the track. It was even better to share the time with good friends. Thanks to Rob for coming out to support us and offer encouragement.

David, you make it all worth the stress and prep with your positive outlook and great insights. Thanks for being my friend.

Always happy to hang out with you guys, bikes or not... Although the bikes do make it that much more fun!:thumbup::rockon:

Hey Pete, the wind wasn't as strong this time, but certainly more constant. Last time it really only kicked up around 2-3pm and was wickedly strong. This time was present all morning and afternoon long, but a solid 10mph slower.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a little background info. I set 2 alarms for 5:00 AM to give myself ample time to prep and drive to Willow Springs. Surprisingly, none buzzed. Without the assistance of the useless alarms, I awoke at 6:30 AM. By then I knew I was not going to make the “mandatory pre-track meeting”. Hoping I would still be able to ride, I placed the bike on the trailer and started my 2hr drive towards Willow Springs. 2/3 of the distance there I realized I have forgotten to pack my bike boots! I turned around grabbed my boots, refueled and started my 2nd trip towards the track. I got there noon-ish. After getting my bike inspected I was able to ride. The wind was blowing hard. I rode group C – novice category. What an exhilarating experience! Nothing compares to riding the track. I was so pumped I forgotten where I placed my fizzer key. Spending a good portion of the late afternoon Rob and I searched the bleachers overlooking the Omega section of the track. As we were resigned from continuing the search, Rob checks my side front fender and voila - the key is found LOL. Track riding does require 100% of rider focus and like John stated courage and confidence. I was a little shaken at certain portions of the track – I felt my rear tire skidding right before turn 5 on one run.
Great effort by all riders – fun times and good hanging out with you guys.
My alarm clock is going to the trash.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all :cheer:

Fantastico! Man you guys rocked! :rockon::rockon:
Thanks for the video and pics David
Tell Dad he did a great job with the camera! :thumbup:

He did! Thanks man... we need to ride soon!

Great photos David, thanks for posting them.

Would you say the wind was worse than last year? By the end of the day I felt like I as canted about 10 degrees to the right coming down the straight. I still haven't fixed my shade tent since Williow bent it in half. Thank goodness for the wrench, hammer and duct tape!

And you're right, Turn 1 is kinda odd. Almost every time I felt I could have gone fast upon exit, but at enterance the next last I couldn't make myself go much faster. That whole track is a big mind game, but I love it.

Thanks Pete... It was thinking of what happened to your canopy that we decided not to setup ours :D The wind was strong early in the morning and with the cold on top of it, it was a b*tch... it got better as the temp came up throughout the day.

I hit turn 1 like never before during our last session of the day, and I felt like Rossi for a second :rof: That track really rocks, and it is a mind game for sure (and a serious test of the size of your........ you know what I mean :D)

Hope to ride it with you again one day :rockon:

1:36 and 1:40

It's now my 3rd time on this track and it was the best by far.

When's your 2nd time going to be? :BLAA:

BTW, Streets of Willow is already booked for June 28th... who's in?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/raci...treets-willow-join-us-training-available.html

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! I think I'd like to do 1-day training session to correct my technique and rid of some fears prior to going. But I will go again :rockon:

If only I found this instructional video prior to going on track...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RUFKQt5-bU]YouTube - Willow Springs Demo Lap[/ame]