Towing with a Civic (auto)

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Now that my track bike has been spruced up (rear shock overhauled) I am getting ready to get back into my track days w/ my 636.

Previously, I had been renting a cargo van and using a homebuilt 2-bike wheel chock board in the back of the cargo van. While it is convenient and relatively easy, it is an expensive undertaking because the van rental is costly, since I have to rent it for 3 days generally (the day before, since I work and the damn rental place closes early, the track day, and the day after since they are closed by the time we get home and unloaded).

So I am considering installing a small Class I hitch on my 2004 Civic 4 door. It has almost 100k miles on it. It's the regular, non-Vtec engine (the smaller engine) and I have an automatic transmission.

I am envisioning modifying one of these small trailers from Harbor Freight with a metal deck of some kind, and (for now) a single wheel chock to hold my ride:

image_992.jpg

(images also attached for posterity)

I saw on the WERA forums that many people tow with Civics and Corollas, and some people suggested "having clean and full ATF fluid" and installing an aftermarket transmission cooler.

What do you guys think? I am trying to avoid doing this:

4955099622_89792c78c7_o.jpg

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what size a Civic engine is but I used to tow with my BMW 320i with the 2.2 straight 6 petrol engine and it could be a drag (pardon the pun) on a long trip.

However, since getting my 320d, towing is a non-issue. The extra torque of the diesel engine does the trick.

The bike on the roof is something new...

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
If you care about your transmission, put a cooler on it. Heat is the number one enemy of automatic transmissions. Also, don't use overdrive unless it holds the gear well. If it's constantly hunting and downshifting, drop it down till it holds a gear well. You're much better off turning higher RPMs and letting your torque converter lockup.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Civics are tuff little cars.... lots of people tow with small imports with no mods and no problems....It is a 4 door car designed to carry 4 adults so with you and a bike on a trailer it wouldnt even break a sweat.... :rockon: :D

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I have a 2004 Civic Value Package Coupe with an auto transmission. So it's the same engine and car as what you have.

I have towed that exact Harbor Freight trailer behind it, with my FZ-6 on it.

So I can testify that it works just fine. Don't be in a hurry, you will be down on power. But you can drive at interstate speeds.

Braking is also safe, but don't tailgate.

I second the recommendation for adding a transmission cooler. It's a good idea on any car, and more important when towing. I don't have one yet, but it's on my to-do list.

For a hitch, I was very happy with the Curt reciever hitch that I got. It's the only one that bolts onto the car without any need to drill the vehicle's frame. And it's a three bolt install, so you can do it in your driveway.

The trailer wiring is not as easy, nobody makes a kit so you will need to tap into your taillight wires.

Don't ever rent the U-Haul motorcycle trailer. The ramp folds up and so you've got a 4' x 6' vertical metal airbrake attached to the trailer. And then your top speed is only 55mph.

Hope this helps.

Fred

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with shreveport on this one. Towing a small trailer loaded with your trackbike shouldn't be a problem with your Honda Civic.

The trailer in your photo looks pretty light, even when equipped with a wooden or wire mesh deck. The whole package with bike included should weigh less than 1,000 pounds.

Just make sure your transmission fluid is clean and you shouldn't have any problems with towing. If your transmission is equipped with overdrive, I would not use it unless you're able to hold a steady gear without constant up and downshifting.

Braking time and wear will be increased, but should be manageable if you drive cautiously. Good luck!

frt96

Reaction score
Visit site
No problems towing a small trailer with you civic.
My wifes civic has 420,xxx on it now and we have towed a 4'X6' trailer from the sf bay area to Kansas several times. I also towed my motorcycle home almost 90 miles when I had a blow out on my way to work.

Service your tranny and keep the oil clean and your good to go!!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That was my very first trailer a million years ago. I towed it behind my '85 VW Golf. A power house of a car that made all of 85hp. I had my race bike, tool, fuel, etc. on it. Worked great.

Today I have the big brother version of that same trailer. It is longer, has 12" wheels instead of 10", and it folds up for easy storage. :thumbup:

I've hauled both all on very long trips; most recently Austin to LA and back. No problems at all. Just put real wheel bearing grease in, and keep an eye on the wheel bearing adjustments for the 1st 100 miles or so.

For the price you can't go wrong, just give yourself a couple of days to build it up and lay some decking and a chock on it. :thumbup:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It can be done. :D I put a transmission cooler on my Corolla and have towed the same trailer in the pic with just the FZ6 and it does fine. I towed the bikes pictured for about 500 miles then I just had my cruiser on the trailer for another 1000 miles. It was quite a load but the little car didn't complain and still returned almost 30 mpg.

63423adf.jpg

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all very much for the feedback! I am glad to see that many people think that it can be done, and have done it with the same, or very comparable, cars.

Points taken re: no overdrive, transmission cooler, and driving carefully. Also re: wheel bearing grease repacking - I have heard similar feedback elsewhere.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Lightndattic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hellgate or Mexi-Can't- Did you have to register your trailers with the DMV after assembly? I'm going to get one of these to carry camping gear and my bike for a trip to northern Cali next summer. I'd like to buy it a month or so before the trip, but if it has to be registered and plated, I'll need to add time for that process too.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
It all depends on how far you are going and how many\size of hills you have to go over. You don't want to be taxing the breaks or the engine if you care about the car. I would look at what the car's manual says about the GVWR and try to keep 10-15% below that. There are lots of really light weight aluminum trailers designed for hauling a bike.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hellgate or Mexi-Can't- Did you have to register your trailers with the DMV after assembly? I'm going to get one of these to carry camping gear and my bike for a trip to northern Cali next summer. I'd like to buy it a month or so before the trip, but if it has to be registered and plated, I'll need to add time for that process too.

I did. My trailer kit came with a title the mfg in China. Once I built it I simply went to the DMV and got a plate for it. I think it was all of $20.00 or so.

To built the trailer, put the decking on, and the wheel chock, it took about 12 hours of working fast. Don't under estimate how long it takes. I got three or four large boxes with a million parts! I was surprised. I think I have a post on here somewhere with photos.

Here's a picture of my trailer at Willow last year. I pulled it with my Malibu, 6 spd. auto with a 4 cycl. The run from Tucson to PHX was hot as heck, but no problems at all. My car was in 4th or 5th for most of the trip.
View attachment 30958

Last edited:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes I got mine tagged and titled. I had to get it weighed first and then fill out papers on the parts used for assembly, pay my $25 and then I was assigned a VIN plate.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys - I went to Pep Boys (auto parts store) and found that they have several transmission coolers available. Basically, they have a little one, like this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Inc-401-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B000C3BB7G]Amazon.com: Hayden, Inc. 401 Transmission Oil Cooler: Automotive[/ame]

(picture below)

And they also have a couple of slightly larger ones. I took a pic on my cell phone but I have no way to upload it here at work.

Should I go with a larger one, or is just having one period good enough? I am looking at models 401 or 402, most likely.

The one that is the next size up is about three inches / 7.5 cm longer than the smallest one. On the package the smallest one said "for compact cars, not towing" and the next size up said "for full size cars/towing".

In opting for the larger one, I am only concerned about blocking too much air moving through my "regular" radiator.

Page 2 here: http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2007-hayden-trans-oil-coolers.pdf

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: added another image (from the PDF)

P.S. - I will be having my mechanic install this, methinks ...

Last edited:

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't believe that Civic could haul the 2 dirt bikes until last weekend.

At this video clip, you may see the evidence; however, it's at the unloaded time.
These guys helped me at the last weeked trouble, and saw they hauled 2 dirt bikes with Civic. :eek:

At the 2:30 of the clip, there are a red civic, a trailer, and two dirt bikes.. ha ha ha

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZW-mCL2tBU]YouTube - Santa Ynez Mountains Road - First Dirt Bike Down - Sep. 25, 2010 Ride[/ame]