Torque wrench question

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I just purchased a torque wrench to tighten my frame sliders to the correct spec. My question.... Is there a bit I need since the head of the bolt is for an allen wrench?

Thanks,
Nick

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cut downan 8MM Allen Key, and then used a socket on my torque wrench.

Get the proper socket if it's available though, I was a little concerned using the cut down key, but it worked ok.

:)

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, any hardware store should have it, I had to by a set to get it though. Don't forget not to leave the torque wrench set high, set it at it's minimum setting or 10% of its max, it should say in the manual.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
While on the topic of torque wrenches, do you guys have a recommendation on a nice one to have for wrenching on the FZ?

I see a bunch of variation in torque specs and wonder what's a good compromise. This one is a bit pricey, but the 5-80 range seems to cover most basic repairs.

Any advice? Thanks!!

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
You also have to consider the 20% rule. If you have a torque wrench that covers 20-100 in-lbs you're not supposed to use the bottom or top 20% of it's range. In this case a 20 to 100 in-lb wrench should only be used for torques between 40 and 80 in-lbs. If I need to torque something to 100 in-lbs I have to select a wrench that is rated to at least 125 in-lbs.

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
You also have to consider the 20% rule. If you have a torque wrench that covers 20-100 in-lbs you're not supposed to use the bottom or top 20% of it's range. In this case a 20 to 100 in-lb wrench should only be used for torques between 40 and 80 in-lbs. If I need to torque something to 100 in-lbs I have to select a wrench that is rated to at least 125 in-lbs.

That's a really good point.

Thanks,
Nick:thumbup:

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
While on the topic of torque wrenches, do you guys have a recommendation on a nice one to have for wrenching on the FZ?

I see a bunch of variation in torque specs and wonder what's a good compromise. This one is a bit pricey, but the 5-80 range seems to cover most basic repairs.

Any advice? Thanks!!

.......:hijack:

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
I would just buy a cheap one as long as its calibrated.
after you use it a couple times youll understand what the difference is between 30 and 40 ftlbs and I just hand tighten everything now, a little chapped I spent 220 on a Snap-on one

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site

Any advice? Thanks!!

I purchased mine from an Autozone for 10 bucks, but I've seen them at menards for 7. Hopefully that helps.

-Nick-

V

VDITRAINING

I purchased mine from an Autozone for 10 bucks, but I've seen them at menards for 7. Hopefully that helps.

-Nick-

a $10 torque wrench?

would you put $25 tires on your bike, or $3 frame sliders???

you get what you pay for I guess.....

I don't think everyone has to buy snap-on, but i recommend buying the best one you're budget can afford.

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may also need an adaptor depending on the drive you have for the torque wrench - A 1/2" to 3/8" socket adaptor works well; leave it off for 1/2" sockets and put on for 3/8".

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
a $10 torque wrench?

would you put $25 tires on your bike, or $3 frame sliders???

you get what you pay for I guess.....

I don't think everyone has to buy snap-on, but i recommend buying the best one you're budget can afford.

No, I would not put 25 dollar tires on my bike or 3 dollar sliders. I have pilot power 2ct's and motovation sliders, but I'll give a 10 dollar torque wrench a shot.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a visual so you know what your after & use some thread-lock/Loctite on the thread :thumbup:

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
got mine at harbor freight for 15 bucks!! :steve: worked awesome and remember the stock torque on those engine bolts you'll be replacing is 40ft/lbs. also make sure the allen head socket for it has an allen head that extends far enough off the body of the wrench because if you are mounting longer sliders and the screw is recessed into the slider itself, you will not be able to reach and probably end up standing in your garage cursing and doing this :rant:

V

VDITRAINING

No, I would not put 25 dollar tires on my bike or 3 dollar sliders. I have pilot power 2ct's and motovation sliders, but I'll give a 10 dollar torque wrench a shot.

In my opinion, correct torques are just as important if not more. I won't skimp on proper maintenance and torquing to correct specs is a huge part of that.

I LOL at those who say they bought a cheap torque wrench and "it worked great".....can you tell me how you know for certain?

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I will hand tighten the frame slider bolts. I am afraid to use a torque wrench as it has twice screwed me on smaller torque specs like 35-50. Once I stripped the rear caliper and then the swingarm lower mount bolt. Anything higher a torq wrench is fine.