Torque wrench question

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, correct torques are just as important if not more. I won't skimp on proper maintenance and torquing to correct specs is a huge part of that.

I LOL at those who say they bought a cheap torque wrench and "it worked great".....can you tell me how you know for certain?

Spending more doesn't mean squat. How would you know for certain that a $80 torque wrench was accurate? You can always test a torque wrench by checking existing installed bolts/specs to see if your wrench if half-decent.

V

VDITRAINING

Spending more doesn't mean squat. How would you know for certain that a $80 torque wrench was accurate? You can always test a torque wrench by checking existing installed bolts/specs to see if your wrench if half-decent.

oh please don't tell me you just recommended checking a torque wrench by using it on another bolt that may very well be under or overtorqued to begin with.:eek:

I have an advantage in that I have access to calibrated test equipment and my employer mandates that my torque wrenches are checked daily and calibrated once per year.

Some insight....my snap on wrenches have never undergone any repairs and they were purchased new in 1990. My co worker who buys the cheap ones....is now on number 5 in 6 years because they keep failing and are not worth fixing.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
You get what you pay for. Buy good tools, and you'll only have to buy them ONCE, and you can be pretty damn certain they're going to work. Bring your torque wrench to Sears for calibration (I don't know if they do it for ones not bought there, probably pay a couple bucks). If you drop it, calibrate it. I would NOT buy a 10 dollar torque wrench. But that's just me.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Spending more doesn't mean squat.

Yes it most certainly does when it comes to precision tools like a torque wrench. I have a Snap-On torque wrench that's 20 years old. I had it calibrated about 5 years ago and only required a minor adjustment.

Tailgate said:
How would you know for certain that a $80 torque wrench was accurate?

You know that it's accurate OOTB because the expensive torque wrench will come with a calibration certificate showing the test specifications.

Tailgate said:
You can always test a torque wrench by checking existing installed bolts/specs to see if your wrench if half-decent.

Can you describe how you'd actually do that?

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I did not mean for my original question to become a heated argument. I think everybody can agree that in general (most cases), the more expensive something is the better the quality. I do appreciate everybody's input.

Thanks,
Nick

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
Bring your torque wrench to Sears for calibration (I don't know if they do it for ones not bought there, probably pay a couple bucks). If you drop it, calibrate it.

Thanks for that tid-bit, I did not realize Sears could calibrate a torque wrench. I bought my Sears torque wrench probably 15+ years ago and it has never been calibrated but that will change soon. Do they do it on site or do they send it away. (sorry for the hi-jack)

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that tid-bit, I did not realize Sears could calibrate a torque wrench. I bought my Sears torque wrench probably 15+ years ago and it has never been calibrated but that will change soon. Do they do it on site or do they send it away. (sorry for the hi-jack)

Not 100% sure, I would imagine on site though. The guy said to bring it in when I want it calibrated and they do it free (bought it there).

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I did not mean for my original question to become a heated argument. I think everybody can agree that in general (most cases), the more expensive something is the better the quality. I do appreciate everybody's input.

Thanks,
Nick

Not arguing.....just humbly offering up my 40+ years experience in the Automotive business, 25 years of which were spinning wrenches. :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm not 100% serious in the torque wrench response I made. But, I'm not going to trash my "lifetime guarantee" Harbor Tools under-$20 torque wrenches and spend, I dunno, maybe close to $200 for a set of Sears or Snap-Ons. I already know that the 1/2 torque wrench is under 10 ft lbs spec (never was on) so I just compensate for it. Maybe Sears will calibrate it, huh?

V

VDITRAINING

I already know that the 1/2 torque wrench is under 10 ft lbs spec (never was on) so I just compensate for it. Maybe Sears will calibrate it, huh?

thats precisely why you calibrate it, to keep it with-in specs. a quality torque wrench will stay in spec alot longer than a cheapo.

so if you want to buy cheapo's be prepared to shell out the bucks getting it tuned up, cuz it's going to need it frequently

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Which snap on torque wrenches do you guys use/feel are worth the money? How often do they need to be calibrated?

Thanks,
Nick

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Which snap on torque wrenches do you guys use/feel are worth the money? How often do they need to be calibrated?

Thanks,
Nick

With Snap-on youll be spending some money, but will get a tool that will last forever. As far as calibration, if you drop it calibrate it, if you leave it on a high torque setting for more than a few hours it will need calibrated. I don't know how much of the high torque setting thing is overkill, but whatever. How often the time interval is though depends on how often it is used. I don't use mine often, so I MIGHT bring it in in 5 or 10 years haha, just for piece of mind.

As a second option check out Sears. The Craftsman ones aren't bad, that's what I picked up. I don't do Snap-On because, well, if something breaks some guy in a truck will come pick it up, but unless you work at an auto dealer good luck. With Craftsman just bring it to a Sears, instant fix... as in replacement.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that only the beam type Craftsman wrenches have a lifetime warranty. I think the clickers are 90 days.

I personally have the 3/8 and 1/2 Craftsman beam wrenches. They're cheap, have a lifetime warranty, and there really isn't anything that can go wrong with them. I wouldn't get the Craftsman clickers myself. Either get the Harbor Freights for about $10 on sale, or go to a high-end model. By all accounts I've read the Harbor Freight wrenches actually hold calibration really well. For nicer models I really like Precision Instruments. I'll probably get one of their split-beam models if I ever have any extra money.

Rich

Reaction score
Visit site
I have three Craftsman clicker types, and I think they are great. Just treat them good, as in don't use them to break bolts loose, and store them with the torque setting backed completely off. I think that is the recommendation for any clicker type torque wrench, make sure you read the directions that come with them. They are also dual scale, ft lbs and nm, so they are easy to set.

One drawback to the beam type is sometimes you just can't get your body in the proper position to read them without someone else helping you out. The clicker type are easy to get a feel for.

Snap-ons are expensive. Maybe worth it for a guy making his living using his tools, but for the weekend mechanic I think you can get by with a lot less. Just my opinion, of course.