TopEnd.tv - Tech Tips - Setting Suspension

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
I don't always post up Tech Tips when they are released, but we've had quite a few requests for this one.

TopEnd.tv - Tech Tips - Setting Suspension

tt_00007_poster.jpg

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
.............. Uhhhhh I feel clueless. I think I'm still going to need help after this video. My rear shock is maybe on 6 my front forks are R6 forks I'm 200 pounds 6"3'. Or is " ' the other way ' " what ever...... Help:confused:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice explanation, but it could use a dummy's guide to what these terms actually mean (dampening, rebound, sag, etc.). But otherwise very clear and very well put together. It may also help to elicit how he determined the proper amount of sag for the rider's weight. Just a thought.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Making this more search friendly....
Sag, setup, front spring, rear spring, compression, rebound, measure, suspension tuning, suspension sag

I helped a friend setup the sag on his Brutale, it took several tries and lots of measuring but we got it dialed in for his weight. I can't imagine tearing the FZs forks apart 5 times changing the stack up to get this nailed but I'll be doing it in the months ahead when I replace the springs. Using a good wheel chock makes this job pretty easy with just two people. The Brutale has a side stand, so I leaned it over on that to get the top-out measurement.

^^
Do some reading! This is about dirt bikes so the #'s are different but it gives you an idea. . .
Suspension Setup Tips

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
is the "30-35mm" quoted in the video an "absolute value" for sport bikes or is it based on a percentage of overall travel?

(pardon me if I'm over complicating things but I'm thinking in terms from setting up my mountain bikes that might have drastic variations in travel (100mm on a cross country bike to say 255mm on a downhill bike))

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
is the "30-35mm" quoted in the video an "absolute value" for sport bikes or is it based on a percentage of overall travel?

(pardon me if I'm over complicating things but I'm thinking in terms from setting up my mountain bikes that might have drastic variations in travel (100mm on a cross country bike to say 255mm on a downhill bike))

I think the value is a general reference for street bikes. Some bikes have little or no adjustment.