Top Saddlery Seats - Still comfortable for long trips?

TS seat comfortable for long rides?

• Yes - my a$$ is sooo comfy now!

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No - Doesn't make any difference

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Some - Made a little difference but not much

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
After 2 days of riding around with the traffic course students, I am ready to pull the trigger on getting a TS seat.

I've gone through a lot of posts, but have not really found much on if it actually is better than stock on long rides?

So is it?

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
When we had the dragon meet it was almost 600 miles there. I then put on about another 800 and rode 600 miles back. After 2000 miles in 5 days my butt hurt. Is it better than the stock seat... yes. How much better will really depend on your butt. For me stock was ok, TS is good.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and it's sweet. Very very very confortable. I tested it on a 80 mile slab run and was great. Worth every penny spent. I also put the FZ1 bars on and that helps as well. My wrist would hurt with the angle of the stock bars. :thumbup::thumbup:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I swapped my stock with moopie's TS seat, and I have to tell you that my but still hurt after about an hour and a half ride. But, the difference for me was that it took longer for my butt to hurt, it was a more comfortable position, and I felt less fatigued overall than I did with the stock seat.

If I had the money to spend, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
I've put a few thousand miles on mine. Initially, it is much more comfortable than stock. I did 400 miles in a day without issues. However, it seats you in one position because of the shape, and now that a few thousand miles have passed it tends to cant you forward quite a bit which is uncomfortable. I am now forcing myself to seat further back near the 'back rest' so that I can compress the foam there a bit. Its working to some degree too.

I don't think the shape is as good as it could be. If you buy one, try to sit further back as often as you can so the foam compresses equally over the seat.

I am about to head to Europe for a few weeks on the bike, so we shall see whether the seat improves, gets worse or stays the same.

Reaction score
Visit site
I put over 1000 miles on mine over 4 days at the dragon this year and was very satisfied with it. There was one day where I put about 320 on it with just a little soreness, but I could have gone farther. The previous year I had a 320 day on the stock seat and was so miserable I was forced to quit for the day. It is definitely more comfortable than the stock or the comfort gel, which I have also had. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it also makes me feel more stable and planted on the bike. With the stock seat, I felt like I was constantly having to push myself backwards to stay in a good position and off of the tank. The TS is much more form fitting and not slanted forward. It makes me feel like I am always in the optimal riding position and yet it doesn't seem to hinder me in hanging off if I want. For me, it was well worth the money and I have no regrets.

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
I was initially unhappy with my TS seat and have been spending some time shaving it down with the angle grinder. I know, what kind of idiot takes an angle grinder to a $575 dollar saddle. Anyway I was able to dish it out and bring it to level so that it feels nice.

Your ass is going to cry no matter what. Like others have said it will just take a bit longer. I would suggest ordering it long (not raised) and without gel. The long option will allow you to slide just a little further back. The gel option is still just a bit too hard. I think the foam is more than adequate so save the money.

Or, if your feeling saucy.
Modify Seat

Bust out the angle grinder and start hacking up that stocker. Go to the local carpet store and get some leftover carpet pad of different thickness and weight. (freebie)

Just play with it till your happy then have it covered or buy an after market cover to stretch over it. I wish I had mustered up the courage to try this before jumping into buying a TS saddle. It's not that hard at all.

I am still riding around with an unstapled cover playing with different foams etc. till it feels right. I'm very close and I think the single biggest difference was making the seat level. I didn't have to remove too much foam to get there either.

Good luck.