Tools... must haves??

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
So I am building my toolbox, I pick up tools as I need them. Just picked up a good torque wrench the other day, pretty excited about that. Also got a set of large metric sockets (32mm for the rear axle). I was wondering what tools you guys (and girls) have that have proved to be invaluable and uses you found for it on the bike (or wherever). There's nothing like buying a new tool.

W

wrightme43

Probley the best thing you can have is a nice set of deep and shallow sockets in 1/4" drive with a high quality 1/4" drive ratchet.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
-Set of good T-Handle allen wrenches( the cheap ones just break)
-Full set of metric crescent wrenches the ratchet kind are sweet but not neccesary
-Allen socket for front axle 19mm I think.
-Lots of Zip ties(lol) they're great for all kinds of things.
- Good 3/4 Breaker bar 24" is good size.
- Full set of sockets 1/4, 3/8 and 3/4 deep and shallow
- Stubby ratchets come in handy alot too.

Just some of the things I know I use regular, I have about every hand tool known to man but unless you want to drop a chunk at once it takes years to get everything you could need and you'll still find something else. I've found Sears is great when stuff is on sale otherwise Garage sales and Pawn shops are the best deals around.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a decently priced toolkit that covers everything? The ones I am seeing are too pricey.

When I first started out I picked up a complete Craftsman set at a Pawn shop for $75 about a $300 set and hit the flea market and couple other pawn shops for everything craftsman I could find even broken ones cause Sears replaces them no questions asked.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I think one of the best investments for the bike I made was the long, T-handle allen keys (with the ball on the end) and allen key sockets (never would have gotten off the damn bar end if it wasn't for these). Also I feel my swivel head 18" ratchet is my most used hand tool, just gotta have one of those.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
A decent set of thread tools:

fz6sa-albums-tech-stuff-picture2781-thread-tools.jpg

Get inserts for 6mm,8mm,9mm,10mm and 12mm.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
-Set of good T-Handle allen wrenches( the cheap ones just break)
-Full set of metric crescent wrenches the ratchet kind are sweet but not neccesary
-Allen socket for front axle 19mm I think.
-Lots of Zip ties(lol) they're great for all kinds of things.
- Good 3/4 Breaker bar 24" is good size.
- Full set of sockets 1/4, 3/8 and 3/4 deep and shallow
- Stubby ratchets come in handy alot too.

Just some of the things I know I use regular, I have about every hand tool known to man but unless you want to drop a chunk at once it takes years to get everything you could need and you'll still find something else. I've found Sears is great when stuff is on sale otherwise Garage sales and Pawn shops are the best deals around.

Allen socket for front axle is 19mm. You are correct.
Also, a good set of screw drivers (with stubby screw drivers), wire strippers, heatshrink tubing, loctite, electrical tape, and wire cutters.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle body sync gauge. It pays for itself on the first use. :thumbup:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
So I am building my toolbox, I pick up tools as I need them. Just picked up a good torque wrench the other day, pretty excited about that. Also got a set of large metric sockets (32mm for the rear axle). I was wondering what tools you guys (and girls) have that have proved to be invaluable and uses you found for it on the bike (or wherever). There's nothing like buying a new tool.

My question to you would be what level of work are you planning on performing on the bike? Everything? Minor things?

That being said the best tools shouldn't be in your toolbox they should be in your rich next door neighbors :)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No one's mentioned a good torque wrench yet. The one I bought works down to the small screws, but couldn't reach the high force required for the rear axle nut. I used my torque wrench to its maximum setting, then "eyeballed" ("palmed"?) it the rest of the way. :spank: I'll get Craftsman's bigger torque wrench next time I get a Gift card.

I bought a new bicycle today, first one I've owned since I was 22 (I'm pushing 50 now) and have a whole 'nuther slew of tools to shop for, agonize over, and lovingly purchase. YAY!!! :cheer:

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
My question to you would be what level of work are you planning on performing on the bike? Everything? Minor things?

That being said the best tools shouldn't be in your toolbox they should be in your rich next door neighbors :)

All the stuff that doesn't include taking the engine apart really. I'm pretty handy but I'm not going to mess with that.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
krazy glue ;) ... don't ask...a set of screwdrivers...not just one otherwise you'll strip some. HarborFreight has a Husky set for ~$10-20. They seem to do the job alright.

HAHA I use super glue all the time to put in hard to reach screws. I took off the front fairing and that one screw deep inside, had to get a 3 foot long screwdriver for that thing. Overkill, but oh well. To put it back in I just glued the screw to the tip of the screwdriver and had a steady aim.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Hand Impact Driver.

Never strip another screw head.

If a screw, allen bolt, or regular hex bolt is giving you trouble, stop before you mess anything up. Get this tool and a hammer. Insert into screw. Apply pressure in the direction you want the screw to turn. Strike the back end of the tool with the hammer. Magic! The screw just came loose!