Tool Kit

G

guyd78

So my '06 FZ6 didn't come with the tool kit. Now I'm trying to piece something together as I have a multi-day trip coming up which will take me to some fairly remote areas - plus it would be good to get a kit put together anyways. I've searched this site, as well as other sites, and have come up with a list for myself for my particular bike. I am curious if there is anything that I should add to the list that I have forgotten, or if there is anything on the list that could probably be scratched thus saving me some room in the process. Once I get everything gathered up I'll get myself a tank bag (knowing what size I would need by then) and I'd be good to go.

Assorted metric Hex tool
19mm Hex (front wheel removal)
10, 12, 14, 17, 32, 36 open end wrenches
Socket Wrench
3/8 socket extension
5/8 socket (spark plugs)
2 spare plugs
2 spare fuses of each size
1 spare H7 bulb
Multi-tool
Small Locking Pliers
Screwdriver with multiple ends
Small Crescent Wrench
Tire Gauge
Electrical and Duct Tape
Small Flashlight
Tire Repair and Inflation Kit
2 spare CO2 cartridges
Valve Stem Remover
Spare Valve Stem
Small container oil
Chain Master Link
Section of Electrical Wire
Jumper Cables (small ones that came with Battery Tender)
Assorted zip-ties
Chain Lube
Cloth
Alcohol wipes
Spare Key
Credit Card / Cell Phone
List of Yamaha dealers along the route

That does it. I think.....

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested in this too.
One suggestion I have is to get one of those head mounted flashlights.
This way, both of your hands are free if you have to do maintenance at night by the side of the road.
ux_a08051900ux0044_ux_c.jpg

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
This way, both of your hands are free if you have to do maintenance at night by the side of the road.
ux_a08051900ux0044_ux_c.jpg

nice. where would you pick one of those up? could have used one so many times.

G

guyd78

Good thinking. Usually I just stick the flashlight in my mouth, but the headlamp does sound better. I actually have a headlamp similar to the one you pictured. It's in my backpacking gear somewhere. I'll have to pull it out, and add it to the tool kit. Then the problem will be remembering to put it back in the pack before I hit the backcountry trails.

RedFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
All I need is my cell phone, credit card, and AAA Roadside assistance :spank:
Also, Don't forget to take plenty of water with you.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
So my '06 FZ6 didn't come with the tool kit. Now I'm trying to piece something together as I have a multi-day trip coming up which will take me to some fairly remote areas - plus it would be good to get a kit put together anyways. I've searched this site, as well as other sites, and have come up with a list for myself for my particular bike. I am curious if there is anything that I should add to the list that I have forgotten, or if there is anything on the list that could probably be scratched thus saving me some room in the process. Once I get everything gathered up I'll get myself a tank bag (knowing what size I would need by then) and I'd be good to go.

Assorted metric Hex tool
Socket Wrench
3/8 socket extension
5/8 socket (spark plugs)
2 spare plugs
1 spare H7 bulb
Multi-tool
Small Locking Pliers
Small Crescent Wrench
Tire Gauge
Electrical and Duct Tape
Small Flashlight
2 spare CO2 cartridges
Valve Stem Remover
Spare Valve Stem
Small container oil
Chain Master Link
Assorted zip-ties
Chain Lube
Cloth
Alcohol wipes
Spare Key
Credit Card / Cell Phone

Consider adding a few Advil/Motrin. Nothing ruins a great day of riding like a headache. Also maybe some ear plugs and one or two of those rubber strap cords and a small tube of graphite powder (lube without mess).

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
All I need is my cell phone, credit card, and AAA Roadside assistance :spank:

That's all fine and good only if you break down in an area that has cell coverage.

Don't be reliant on others (even AAA) to come help you. :spank:

Always rely on yourself first.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Assorted metric Hex tool
Socket Wrench
3/8 socket extension
5/8 socket (spark plugs)
2 spare plugs
1 spare H7 bulb
Multi-tool
Small Locking Pliers
Small Crescent Wrench
Tire Gauge
Electrical and Duct Tape
Small Flashlight
2 spare CO2 cartridges
Valve Stem Remover
Spare Valve Stem
Small container oil
Chain Master Link
Assorted zip-ties
Chain Lube
Cloth
Alcohol wipes
Spare Key
Credit Card / Cell Phone

OK so Im snowed in and rather board so I'm going to put in my .02 here.
To me it sounds as though you might be packing a bit much and could save yourself some weight and space. I am not sure if you have done many multi-day trips and have much experience with it. But here goes...

Pack only the tools that you would need to do a minor repair in order to limp yourself to where more major service could be done if need be. With this in mind, I currently keep the tools needed to remove both wheels, brakes, fairing and fuel tank. Because honestly, if I cant fix the problem with those tools its not worth working on, on the side of the road.

I really dont see a need to carry valve stems as that will require you to pull the tire off the wheel. So unless you plan to pack tire bars, that's really a no go. As for plugs, you really should have a plug failure, especially on this engine. For piece of mind, carry a piece of sandpaper to clean the plugs in the even they need to cleaned. Replacing them every couple of years of so will keep that item in check.

Zip ties are always good!!!!!

As for the cell phone thing, look into a SPOT. Its a GPS tracker that has many amazing features. I have one myself and do not go riding with out. Spend a few moments to read up on it and you will understand why.
SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

Dont be afraid to go to a dealer other than a Yamaha shop. Most people at a shop regardless of what they sell love to ride and will go out of their way to keep a traveling rider traveling. The only reason I say this is that you said you are going to carry a list of all the Yamaha dealerships in route. Personally to me that sounds like too much of a planned trip.... but thats just me. I like to just go ride and see where the black top leads me. (Personal preference)

My tip to you would be to limit the items to only what will fit under the seat of the bike and those items which you honestly fill you can service or do on the side of the road, under a bridge in the rain. Because afterall, that is when the problem will happen....

Its wise to plan ahead and be smart, but in my opinion too much planning can take away from the adventure.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but to sum it all up. SPOT device, tools to remove both wheels, fairing and fuel tank. Small bottle of chain lube, ZIP TIES!!!!!!, small flashlight (Walmart sells these 6 bulb led jobs that plug into a cig. lighter that are really neat. If you have a aux. power outlet I would look into those) Pressure gauge, cell phone, small first aid kit...etc. Limit it to what will fit under the seat.

Save the room in the bags for cloths and souvenirs of your travels.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and carrying extra bulbs can be an issue as they are more likely to break when not mounted to the bike. You have two bulbs on the bike. Should one go out you have the other. The chances that you loose both bulbs before you can get to an autoparts store is rather low. lol

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
When I do my touring trips with my friends, we distribute the load of tools/emerg. supplies. For example I carry a small MSR camping fuel bottle (1L) that we fill with emergency gas and another carries a realy cool and small portible 12V air compressor and patches in case of a flat.

Very good points though about how "less can be more". Just take the essentials.

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm making my way through the "search" feature as every good noobie should, haha.

One thing I'm considering when assembling long and short term items: What about a parts list? I know many auto parts stores will have a computer or book to look things up, but would it be helpful to just have a 3x5 card in a zip lock bag and keep it under the seat at all times. Then, if you need a bulb or other item, you have the exact number ready to go? Of course it wouldn't take up any space or have any weight.

In terms of the adventure vs preparation mentality, one compromise would be to make sure you have a destination and timeline. That way, if you don't make it on time, someone knows.

Maybe a good new thread by someone with some miles behind them would be: "minor repairs you should be able to to make on the road." Do a scenario where something happens to the MC, what tools and procedure you need to get out of there safely, etc. That way, guys new to all of this can "study" to be better prepared and can focus on the ride.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm making my way through the "search" feature as every good noobie should, haha.

One thing I'm considering when assembling long and short term items: What about a parts list? I know many auto parts stores will have a computer or book to look things up, but would it be helpful to just have a 3x5 card in a zip lock bag and keep it under the seat at all times. Then, if you need a bulb or other item, you have the exact number ready to go? Of course it wouldn't take up any space or have any weight.

In terms of the adventure vs preparation mentality, one compromise would be to make sure you have a destination and timeline. That way, if you don't make it on time, someone knows.

Maybe a good new thread by someone with some miles behind them would be: "minor repairs you should be able to to make on the road." Do a scenario where something happens to the MC, what tools and procedure you need to get out of there safely, etc. That way, guys new to all of this can "study" to be better prepared and can focus on the ride.

My tools on top of the standard tool kit consist of a Leatherman multitool with acc. bits, zip ties, electrical and duct tape. Figure that should cover most common issues. Everything else can be covered by AAA and a credit card.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't read all these replies, but it's important to realize that on most/all Japanese motorcycles, the phillips-head screws are different than American phillips screws. The angle of the screw/driver is different. So using an american screwdriver on a Japanese bike is way more likely to strip the head of the screws, especially on soft brass screws (like carb bowls, where it's common to replace them with stainless allen-heads).

Read more here
Cleaning the carbs 1 - Ninja250Wiki

screws_JIS_phillips_screwdriver_angle.jpg

screws_JIS_phillips_comparison.jpg

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I lost my L-shaped wrench and need size, to open fairings and to lift the tank.

I did a quick find on pdf, FZ6 manual and didn't find the tool size.

Please help.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I lost my L-shaped wrench and need size, to open fairings and to lift the tank.

I did a quick find on pdf, FZ6 manual and didn't find the tool size.

Please help.

Raja, you're talking about the Hex wrenches right?

The side fairing bolts are a 4mm and the tank bolts are 5mm.

Pick up a decent set of metric hex wrenches at any auto parts store or supermarket.
Other sizes commonly used on our bikes: 6mm and 8mm.

Tools are ALWAYS a well worthy investment!

Last edited:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
THIS is my FAVORITE Tool. Has a 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm hex wrench.. I use this thing ALL the time! Working on bicycles or Motorcycles.

Can be found at most bicycle shops for about $12. Worth its weight in Gold! ...

View attachment 66065