To Slab or Not to Slab?

To Slab or Not to Slab?

• Slab is the only way to go!

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I can take it or leave it, doesn't matter.

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Avoid the slab at all costs!

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
After WhirlyGirl's and others trip reports, I've decided to try a long distance FZ6 tour. Trip will be about 1300 miles depending on routes chosen, so fair amount of saddle time; Denver, Co to Eugene, Or.

Any feedback or even here-say from the group on use of interstate (aka the 'slab')?

Matthew

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
IMHO I'd try a mixture of both. You'll want to ride the highways and scenic routes a lot, but sometimes you'll just want to make some progress and the interstates and larger highway routes are good for that.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
The slab is made for one thing: Making good time.

That's not what motorcycle trips are about in my opinion. They are about enjoying the ride and (again, my opinion only) there is no joy to be found on a slab.

Wanderingpie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got to agree with Doorag. It really depends on two things: you and your trip. If you're traveling for the fun of the ride, then highways are probably the way to go. If you are traveling for the destination, the freeway gets you there. If you want a little of both, then plan a route that leaves you options. It isn't always possible, but if you can wake up and decide for yourself each morning of your trip if you are taking the scenic or the speedy path that day, you will enjoy it more.

That said, don't always assume the slab is the boring route! Anyone who has driven the interstate from Reno to Sacramento or Portland, OR to The Dalles, OR should agree.

All in all, plan the trip you want around the roads you want to take and the sights you want to see, and you cannot go far wrong.

What are you headed to Eugene for? As a fellow forum member and Eugene resident myself, I might be around to buy you a beer when you get here. When is the trip?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO I'd try a mixture of both. You'll want to ride the highways and scenic routes a lot, but sometimes you'll just want to make some progress and the interstates and larger highway routes are good for that.

+1... plus it will depend on the time you have... if you have 2 months of vacation, then avoid interstates at all costs! :)

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
That said, don't always assume the slab is the boring route! Anyone who has driven the interstate from Reno to Sacramento or Portland, OR to The Dalles, OR should agree.

Good Point. I was referring to East Coast slabs which are generally flat, straight and boring. The scenery is often pretty good, but the mind numbing straightness makes me want to scream. It's ok in the car when I can listen to music, smoke cigarettes, yap on the phone, watch movies, play video games, shave, read books, mix martinis, make lunch...... oh and drive. :rolleyes:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They do make good time but they also ruin good tires. :( Nothing sucks more than many miles of slab to get to the coolest twisties on earth and have the center of the tire worn flat. Makes the twisties, the goal of the trip, not a lot of fun.

I'll take the slab where needed or to avoid a larger city but jump off on the secondaries as soon as the skyline is in my mirror.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
If i go from my house to houston i have to get on highway 45. Its just part of the route. If your route has a highway on it, use it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would do both. But maybe taking the more scenic route as you get towards closer to the west. Colorado is beautiful too, but that's your home state. You can always take short 1 or 2 day rides. I would jet across I-70 through Colorado and Utah. Then decide which way to go from there. I would definately take the two lane road across the cascades to Eugene. Should be very scenic.

DocFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Matthew from Southern Oregon. Have a good ride to Eugene! If you try to take the slab all the way you'll be going a long way out of your way to get there. No matter if you come from the north going south, or south going north you'll have to use I-5. To much construction, all the bridges are being replaced the whole lenght of the slab and to many semi's. Not fun at all. If you can take back roads I would do that. Hwy 58 will get you from the east side of the Cascades to the west and put you almost right into Eugene. It's a beautiful ride. There is some construction but not as bad as I-5. No matter which way you go, have a great and safe trip. :thumbup:

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site

+1. When I went to Tennessee in April, I would have liked to have taken to less-travelled roads and get to see a lot, but I was very short on time. Had to go up there on the first day(800 miles one-way), take care of business on the second day, and then back to Florida on the third day. Just because of the time factor, I stuck to the slab almost the entire trip. On the way back, I did enjoy a scenic detour through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.