To buy or not to buy fz6

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there anything besides craigslist that i should use to search used bikes from private sellers?

Local forums are great, for both meeting fellow riders and for getting deals on riding gear since you dont have to deal with shipping costs or hassles. I googled "Minnesota motorcycle forum" and found a couple. (Granted, Minnesota is sliiightly bigger than the CT and the New England forums I'm on :p)

Post up an introductory thread and a WTB thread and people might have something for sale or know someone who does.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there anything besides craigslist that i should use to search used bikes from private sellers?

Take your time and buy the bike from the person/place that you get a good vibe from. Even if you end spending a bit more peace of mind is worth it, saving money is great but value for your dollar is the better option.

My last bike I ended up buying from a dealership, cost me an extra $ 500 dollars but money well spent in my opinion. I looked at 2 bikes, both the same age and both with incomplete records but the dealership did a complete inspection before they put the bike up for sale.

Dealers want you coming back for extras, personal sales don't give a rats ***.

Go with your gut in the end, if it feels funny, pass on the deal.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep an eye here on the forum, post a "wanted to buy".

If your willing to travel 5 hours and the seller travel some, that opens up the "selling area" considerably.

We just had two members 10 hours away from each other, drive half ways (at my sugestion) each to swap an FZ1 with a FZ6 (don't know if it ever fully went thru).

Re dealers vs private sellers, IME, its a 50/50 shot.

Someone super anal about thier stuff, yea, I wouldn't think twice. A bike at a dealership, some dealers go thru them, some just put them on the for sale line. I've seen a bike with the ft fender literally falling off(missing a bolt) in a very obvious spot. Many times a used bike at a dealer is there because of issues the owner didn't want to fix.

I knew the previous owner of my bike, all the times it was laid down, personally know the mechanic who fixed it the first time, etc..

IMO, it'll boil down to a very close inspection (hire a good known mechanic if your not VERY knowledgable) to go over the bike.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
2005 FZ6 Naked Yamaha

2005 is a bit uglier than 2006+ but that seems to be a pretty good deal so far. other than aesthetics were there any performance upgrades from the 2006 fz6?

the 2006 is just the same as a 2005 albeit a black frame and engine. on teh 2004-2005 make sure the tps sensor recall has been done (its free of charge at any yamaha dealer). the 06 did not suffer from the tps as it was updated.

performance upgrades throught the years there were none, the 07 on seem to get a better FI system that the snatchy on off one of 04-06.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the 2006 is just the same as a 2005 albeit a black frame and engine. on teh 2004-2005 make sure the tps sensor recall has been done (its free of charge at any yamaha dealer). the 06 did not suffer from the tps as it was updated.

performance upgrades throught the years there were none, the 07 on seem to get a better FI system that the snatchy on off one of 04-06.

Just to add to the above, 07 and up, better front brakes (4 pistons per disc vs previous dual pistons per disc), newer swingarm and the dash configuration changed as well.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
.....the 06 did not suffer from the tps as it was updated......

Careful on that one, my FZ6 S Fazer registered in UK in April 2007 was subject to the TPS recall, always best to check with Yamaha using the VIN number, as you don't really know how long any of the FZ6 S motorcycles have sat around in Japan, shipping location, storage, dealer before first being registered.

But in any case it's no problem, if needed to be changed...

Sent from my HTC One on Vodafone 4G using Tapatalk 2

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Just searching CL and found a handful around MN/IA that seem decent, but they are around $4k. Not sure what your budget is but that price is about on par. I'm sure you could negotiate lower on some of them, but really, just be patient if you are looking for a good deal. I spent a month or two searching and looking until I found and bought mine.