Tire Slip. Suspension? Bad Vibrations. +2 rear?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of times since I have gotten my new tires put on (with the added confidence they've given) I have had my rear lose traction mid-corner on bumpy-ish roads.

I am a larger rider.

I had been told the stock suspension on the FZ would be fine for everything...

Now I am wondering if I should do something about it? I've never messed with it because I didn't want to Super-Tech Auto the suspension and make it worse. But now I think maybe I should do SOMETHING to it if it would make the riding experience better.

I don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort for better performance. Not sure how it works with bikes, but on cars you'd just stiffen the suspension. I imagine it's not that simple with bikes? Heck, it's probably not that simple with cars either.

Also, I realize I could well have avoided the tire slippage with smoother inputs, but the bumpy road did not help. I can work on my skills, but suspension should be a guaranteed way of improving performance?

I've also noticed under heavy braking the front end bounces viciously sometimes on uneven ground. I'm talking quite a bit. I recently had the dealership replace the fork oil and change the steering bearings. Could this have something to do with what they did? Also, over 170kph the front end vibrates TERRIBLY. But is that due to the +2 rear sprocket teeth sending vibrations here, there, and everywhere?

P.S. The thing that cups the exhaust under the tail came off and was just flapping loose the other day. I pulled it out. I think it either came off due to the rear sprocket vibrations or because the dealership undid it to put the fender eliminator kit back on and just forgot to re-bolt it back in.

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
You shouldn't be getting vibrations from your rear sproket. If you are, the sproket could be out of balance and or alignment or even not have the same 'gear ratio' as the chain. But I would expect the chain to pop off if the tooth spacing wasn't correct for the chain.

Is your chain in good shape? A stuck link can cause a skip/vibration as it doesn't flex/wrap around the sproket when it goes around. But I think due to the front end shake, that the tires were not balanced when they were mounted.

The front end should not vibrate. It is likely that your front tire is out of ballance and or Alignement. Did you install your tires yourself? I have mine mounted at the local motorcycle shop because I'm not equiped to balance them.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they added these special ball bearings in the tires when they put them on. but i didnt notice this much shake until just a couple days ago.

when i adjusted my chain tension, maybe the rear is not aligned properly? I checked with the string method and it was lined up very close to perfect. and it is 100% fine until about 160-170kph.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Both of my FZ's are glass smooth at those speeds. Stock sprokets. But.... there is no reason a drop of two teeth would / should cause the bike to vibrate. Your front sproket is a lot smaller and does not induce vibration. Something that spins is out of ballance.

I read up on those inner tire weights. Some swear by them for balance. I've never used them so I can't comment. I'd bring the bike back to the shop that mounted the tires and tell them about your vibration issues. It is a good place to start.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
lone

what tires did you put?

I ask because I had similar behavior with a pair of shoes I put one time ... I won't mention them 'til you mention yours :D:D

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Lone

I’m running Dyna Beads in both my tires and can vouch for them. I spend a lot of time on the track and I haven’t detected any vibrations from wheel unbalance yet. I have a spare set of rims with Michelin Power One’s fitted for the track and my everyday tires are Pilot Power 2CT’s. Both sets have beads fitted. If the correct amount of weight was inserted by the dealership I doubt your vibrations are from wheel unbalance.

I weigh just over 100kg and have a 14.5kg/mm spring on my back shock.

FZ6-ZN

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it could potentially be my adjusting the rear tire when tensioning the chain. I'll take it in though today and ask them about it all and have them at least take a look at it.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
The similar symptom happened to me with a brand new set of Michelin pilot road

they were aligned and balanced, chain ok, everything fine

but the bike wasn't handle as well as with the previous avon storm ST

so after trying different air pressure, playing with the suspension I got tired and decided to change my tires, I put a set of pirelli diablo strada and I returned to heaven, bike handled better than ever before.

I don't know if my michelins had some defect or what, but I could not live with them.

Cheers

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
If I may? (In my experience:)
A couple of times since I have gotten my new tires put on (with the added confidence they've given) I have had my rear lose traction mid-corner on bumpy-ish roads.
If the tires aren't overinflated could it just be the adhesiveness of the tire? (The traction rating?)
I am a larger rider.
Me too, (but alot of it is just ugly).
I had been told the stock suspension on the FZ would be fine for everything...
It should be for the street.
Now I am wondering if I should do something about it? I've never messed with it because I didn't want to Super-Tech Auto the suspension and make it worse. But now I think maybe I should do SOMETHING to it if it would make the riding experience better.
If it's sudden then it's likely your tires. Are they scrubbed-in?
It could be dangerous and cause unnecessary wear somewhere else on the bike, (not to mention YOU).
I don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort for better performance. Not sure how it works with bikes, but on cars you'd just stiffen the suspension. I imagine it's not that simple with bikes? Heck, it's probably not that simple with cars either.
You're right about the car thingee.
Also, I realize I could well have avoided the tire slippage with smoother inputs, but the bumpy road did not help. I can work on my skills, but suspension should be a guaranteed way of improving performance?
I do not think you should have this much of a difference over the old tires man.
I've also noticed under heavy braking the front end bounces viciously sometimes on uneven ground. I'm talking quite a bit. I recently had the dealership replace the fork oil and change the steering bearings. Could this have something to do with what they did?
If they put too much oil in the forks or if they used a weight that is too heavy it certainly could.
Also, over 170kph the front end vibrates TERRIBLY. But is that due to the +2 rear sprocket teeth sending vibrations here, there, and everywhere?
This doesn't sound like a sprocket problem to me!
Maybe a severe tire balance problem is causing all of this?
Good luck.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
bikes in the shop for a week for various knick-knacks and fixes. it will be addressed hopefully after they redo a bunch of stuff and new tires will be put on for the cali trip. when i return ill put same tires right back on so if it is the tires i will know for sure.