Tire Slasher

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a flat late last week and found myself " pluggin it for "temporary" use (hoping to stretch it out another 1K miles). As I closely inspect my tires upon getting home I realized what looked to me as a box cutter slash marks!! I'm like WTF, bad enough to slash anyone's tires....but on a motorcycle?!?! There's just sick people out there. I'm notifying my work security department about this. Unfortunately, by the looks of it.....it happened months ago since the center strip has worn down already. Now I'm parking closer now than ever.

So now I'm looking for a tire replacement. I have Continental Conti Motion which I bought for $180 a good 8-10K miles ago or more...lost track.
Found the same set of tires at Amazon for only $144.99 shipped. I'm very satisfied with it's performance and can't beat the price savings. If anyone is looking for new tires or at least have one on hand as back up here's the link: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CONTINENTAL-MOTION-70zr17-Front-55zr17/dp/B007N6RPSY/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=ACW8M2QXR07XT"]Amazon.com: CONTINENTAL MOTION Tire Set 120/70zr17 Front & 180/55zr17 Rear 180 55 17 120 70 17 2 Tire Set: Automotive[/ame]

As for the son of a gun who slashed my tires....Karma will get you if it hasn't yet happened.

Ares

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes. Although I wonder if that's really vandalism. My last bike had its tread actually split across the tire looking similar to that.

I assumed the previous owner locked the rear at some point and the tread couldn't handle it.

Regardless- glad you caught it and are getting some new rubber sorted.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wondered the same thing but if braking hard is the cause then it wouldn't be in my case. Besides the line is too linear and it extends from end to end. Luckily enough who ever did it, did not slash the sidewalls instead. I do recall running my hand over my rear tires months back and felt that same line but thought nothing of it. I believe the width grew wider several months later which is why it's more noticeable today.
I'm going to ask security if I can park somewhere near a surveillance camera.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes. Although I wonder if that's really vandalism. .

+1

I've seen tires like that that were not the result of vandalism. I've seen them separate. Not sure why whether from a manufacturing defect or running over something. I know the large steel plates often used in road repairs will sometimes have very sharp edges and can cut a tire. I never ride over them unless I absolutely have to.

If it happened a long time ago it seems as though you need to think about maybe doing a pre-ride inspection (remember the BRC?). I would be thanking my lucky stars if I found this and thought I had been riding on it for a bunch of miles.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
You got 8-10K miles on those tires? I need new tires before next season and these look tempting at that price. hmmm.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Doubt it was a tire slasher but that tire is toast anyway, you are down into the wear bars and no center tread. Wouldn't want to be on that tire in the rain.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I got caught in a downpour one time and she was slipping. I pulled to the side and waited for the rain to stop. I guess it's possible that it either happened naturally from stress but running over something is hard to imagine since it's nearly corner to corner...shouldn't be mostly likely limited to the top/center portion only?
Either way my new rubbers are on its way already, until then I'm a cager Blah