Tire cuts, should I worry?

briner

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I just noticed yesterday that my two weeks old new Fazer S2, with 1.300 km (around 800 miles), has three small but deep cuts on my rear tire.

I have no idea how I got them, must have run over something sharp.
They are not deep enough to have penetrated the wall of the tire, but almost as deep as the thread... hope you can see it from the pics.

These are basicaly brand new tires, but what do you think, should I worry, think about replacing or just leave it as it is??

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I would consider replacing.
Those two on the top that runs parallel, - looks like that piece of tire could come off ......

But the again, - I'm a safety first kinda rider, - so there might be other opinions on this ...

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would replace them. I had some sort of small hole that did not puncture my tire and it blew out on me. I was really lucky because I had just pulled into my driveway from riding freeway and the twisties when i heard a pop sound followed by a hiss. If it had blown out a 1/2 mile earlier when I was on the twisties it could have turned out completely different. Replacing a tire is a small price to pay to avoid a crash to the bike and potential injury to your body.

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
No problem with that I ridden the tires much worse, did about 6500 km on the original set and 3 days on the track they were really burned down. But the cuts are pretty normal so I would not worry about it, if you start seeing the wear down bumps and cuts change them. But your tires look very new so I would not even think about it. It is normal when you throttle on in curves which is exactly what you should do. Actually it looks like you run them a bit to much inflated, try to decrease the pressure and see if you get small bubbles on your tires. Then they run hot enough... If they are to cold as they appear to be ran they will get lot of cuts...

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you aren't doing any real hard riding (trackdays, knee-down, etc), I'd say they are probably fine....but then I am not an aggressive rider.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks fine to me. The two cuts beside each other look like they have cut in a U shape if the profile from the groove is anything to go by...so that will be fine! I've got these on my tyres and they've been giving me many many motorway riding hours (freeway/highway...whatever the american equivalent is!)

Also check your tyre pressure, make sure its not too high.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
the one in the middle looks pretty deep although it could just be the photo. I'd say if the depth of the cuts are not deeper than the wear bars, then you should be okay, but I'd contantly watch for cut growth.
*not advice, just my 2c

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like marina said, this is not advice, just my opinion...

I continue to ride them but keep an eye on them. If it started to show signs of degradation around the cuts, then yeah, I'd replace. It's a tough call. Like someone else mentioned, you've got zip for chicken strips. Since you're riding that far over, maybe you're pushing your tires more than I do mine, in which case, you might do well to replace now.

briner

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the advice/opinions guys.

They are pretty much as devided as the thoughts in my head, so I guess I'll just run it as it is for a little more, look if the cuts become worse, but still replace it as soon as I have extra cash in my pocket. I just can't get it out of my head that I have something damaged between me and the road.

BTW I checked my tires twice in the two weeks and they are 2.25 front and 2.5 back, as per manual.

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a tread depth deep cut right around the entire circumference of my tyre, I rode a track day last sunday and the tyre was fine. The stewards didn't even give it a second look, just asked me what happened and had a giggle (probably whispered dickhead to themselves). I just make sure I keep an eye on mine, everytime I get on and off the bike.