Tire Age...Low Miles

abszero7

Reaction score
Visit site
This seems like a dumb question but i just recently bought an 07 FZ6 and it still has the stock tires.
The tires are dated to be about 7 years old but only have 3.5k miles on them. There is a LOT of tread left. Would it be appropriate to leave them on? or replace them.

I'll provide pictures later ... I forgot that might be important -.-;;, I also noticed a similar thread so this thread may be redundant.
I didn't notice any cracks though.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd replace them ASAP. Make it a priority. 7 Years is very old for motorcycle tires. The bike will handle MUCH better and you will have the peace of mind of riding on new, sticky tires.

Don't bother posting pictures.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Replace them!
Motorcycle tires are much more dependent on the compounds that make up the rubber. Those compounds degrade after time. Unlike a car, the MC tire only has a small contact patch with the road surface and you want that rubber to be of proper character. :)

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, as you probably figured out, replace them. I put a set of PR2s on this year and love them so far. There are a lot of tire threads with people's favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to say I disagree with anyone about replacing the tires, but a question... If you bought a bike used, and the tires had plenty of thread, how would you know how old the tires were? Do you just replace the tires on any used bike buy?

I just purchased my 2009, the rear tire was just replaced last year, but I have no idea how old the front tire is.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to say I disagree with anyone about replacing the tires, but a question... If you bought a bike used, and the tires had plenty of thread, how would you know how old the tires were? Do you just replace the tires on any used bike buy?

I just purchased my 2009, the rear tire was just replaced last year, but I have no idea how old the front tire is.

Every tire has a date code stamped into it. Look up how to read it based on the manufacturer. Or search the forum. Lots of threads on it.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
4 digit number for example my pr3 rear from revzilla came today stamped 5012

50 50th week
12 = 2012 so fairly new

shipping was sunday ordered and tues arrival to cali

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This example shows 03 which is the third week of the year and 04 which is the year 2004. :) (0304)

dotcode5.jpg

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last fall my Saab convertible failed its Utard Safety Inspection, because the tires were 7 years old (this was on a cage!). The inspector pointed out to me that, even though I had plenty of tread left, the rubber itself was deteriorating. (I got my '07 Fizzer just before my GF dumped me, resulting in the Saab being parked for waaay too long ;) ).

abszero7

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, sort of not the main point of the thread but, is it acceptable to have PR3 Rear Tire and maybe a PP3 for the front tire? I am not sure if there is a general problem with mixing tire types.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
THERES TOO MUCH VARIETY!!!! WHAT TO CHOOSE!:Flash::(:confused:

What type of riding do you do? How long out of the year do you ride? What type of weather will you ride in etc. Better to buy matched tires because of profile and compound matching.

There are many great tires for you as well as tire sales that will help in the economics dept.:)

abszero7

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never bought tires before so I am pretty new so I'm probably not adept at finding the massive dealz. I do a mix of both aggressive riding or just cruising around, it depends on my mood [since the fz6 does both well]

Mudflap

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine are from 2003. :shakehead: I am very much looking forward to replacing them on Saturday, just bought the bike a few days ago. They have no cracks or anything but are hard at this point. In my opinion, anything over 5 years is worthy of replacement. Tires aren't expensive enough to gamble...

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
This seems like a dumb question but i just recently bought an 07 FZ6 and it still has the stock tires.
The tires are dated to be about 7 years old but only have 3.5k miles on them. There is a LOT of tread left. Would it be appropriate to leave them on? or replace them.

I'll provide pictures later ... I forgot that might be important -.-;;, I also noticed a similar thread so this thread may be redundant.
I didn't notice any cracks though.

A Massive burnout would most certainly take care of this issue for one tire... I always buy tires in pairs.. so theres the excuse to get a new front! PROBLEM SOLVED :rockon:

On a side note: My first bike I had I ran with what were most certainly 15 year old tires. They stuck to nothing, and it was almost scary to drive, Hey i didnt really know any better.. Then I got new Pirelli Sport Demons.. and WOW talk about confidence inspiring!! Get new Rubber and Love It!

Mudflap

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah thats what I'm noticing with the ones on my bike, they don't stick very well. I ran over some tar-sealed cracks on a highway off ramp yesterday and it was overly sketchy as compared to the other bike.