Tips for Protecting What You Love Most

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No its not your family, be honest now, its your FZ6. :D

I was writing this as a reply to KnuckleBallz's "They Took my Baby" thread, and it occured to me that many of you are probably not on Reddit or reading his thread and may want to see this information.

Basically the guy doing the AMA(Ask Me Anything) used to be a bike thief and chop shop owner. He talks very candidly about what was easy or difficult to steal, what sold for the most, or was a high target motorcycle, exc. And as the title suggests, he answered just about any question that was asked of him.

EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles

He does say the things he actually uses himself is one of the massive hardened chains thats like $200, and a Xena disc alarm.

He also points out things like, if your bike is stolen you should just hope that it isn't recovered because the damage to it is usually very extensive. And he said that he wouldn't want back a bike that he had stolen.

But that is just a very shortened version, there is a ton of good information in there.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy reading this. It completely changed how I approach protecting a motorcycle.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I protect mine by parking it inside my basement. If it is left parked on the patio overnight my dog will bark if a raccoon walks by at night so a thief is not touching my bike without my dog and my .45 knowing and I'm pretty trigger happy when some A-hole wakes me up at 3am! :spank:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
funny... a UPS package is waiting for me today with a dowco weatherall cover and kryptonite fahgettaboudit chain. Dowco alarm is coming in tomorrow.

I looked at Almax 16mm and Protector (Pragmasis) 16mm chains, but Almax never got back to me on how much it would cost to ship it across the pond, and Pragmasis would end up being $400 shipped from Lockitt, which is just a bit out of my budget right now. so 14mm Kryptonite will have to do for now.

PS: when i move back to CT, all of the above will be supplemented by a 12 gauge shotgun or (hopefully) .357 Marlin 1894.

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Good insurance always helps. I keep my bike covered and have a Krptonite lock, but have to admit that if someone REALLY wants to take the bike, they WILL take it.

So, if it does ever get stolen, it's up to my insurance company to compensate me for it. I guess I should keep them updated on any mods to be covered.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good insurance always helps. I keep my bike covered and have a Krptonite lock, but have to admit that if someone REALLY wants to take the bike, they WILL take it.

So, if it does ever get stolen, it's up to my insurance company to compensate me for it. I guess I should keep them updated on any mods to be covered.

Exactly my feelings. I do what I can to deter casual thieves, but I know that anyone determined enough can steal the bike. So I always carry full coverage on the bike.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Very much true - if somebody wants it, they'll get it. At the end of the day, unless you anchor it, it doesn't take that much to pick the darn thing up and put it into a truck. True, that may be a noob approach (per chop-shop operator's comments), but, and I'm speaking from experience - when your bike has been lifted on a truck and driven away, the fact that it's a noob approach does very little to comfort you.
Good insurance is the key - that's how i got my FZ6 - Progressive was good to me (and i'm good to it every 4th of the month) and after my KLR was stolen, i got the FZ6 - i got reimbursed for farkles too.