Tips for Chain Install?

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey you guys, I just changed my oil and hand grips, and also I threw on new 520 sprockets and have a clip style pro series DID chain. I fiddled with this clip for 2 hours last night before calling it the night.

I'm wondering if anybody had any tips for installing clip style chains? I did it last year no prob, but this one seems like I have to really compress the plate substantially more than I've had to in the past -- just to get the notch of the master link pins far enough out that there is something for the clip to grab to.

Maybe I was using the wrong tool? I'm about to get started back up on it again today shortly. This is literally the LAST piece I need to finish all my maintenance and take it to the shop for the tires to be installed and inspection. I heard it was going to be 70 degrees and sunny on Monday, so I'd really like to take care of this today.

So, like I said, I'm just looking for pointers on installing the clip-style chains. Any links you can refer me to, or tools you can point out to me that I may buy, or special techniques you guys have picked up over the years -- any of this information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Matt

edit:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4466856_install-master-street-bike.html
I want to try this, I wasn't aware compressing it would take such force. I understand this is for a rivet-style chain, but I believe the same principle would apply to a clip style chain. Either way, anything is appreciated here guys.

Last edited:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it took me a day and a half but I got it finally. I ended up having to buy a DID rivet style master link and a chain press tool. I've heard great things about the clip but even after installing it -- the top half of the clip just didn't look up to par with me. I'm not one for having some minor defect linger over my head every time I ride, which was the entire point of me changing out my sprockets, chain, and tires.

I had a plug in my rear tire, and it was time for a front -- so all new tires.
I did a poor job of installing the sprockets and chain the last time around, so this time I bought a chain alignment tool and did a 520 conversion, with +1 tooth in the rear.

The chain alignment tool was like 16$ from Motion Pro's eBay store. It came highly recommended from Yamaha techs as a must have for any tool collection. It was a very cheap tool, with a very decent quality. It took all the guesswork out of aligning the tire with the sprocket and chain. Here's the link if anybody's interested -- I highly recommend it too!

Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool HYOSUNG Pitster Pro Dirt Bike Sport Zongshen Bms | eBay

I also had it looked over by a platinum level Yamaha mechanic -- and he said my work was solid this time around -- so it was definitely a learning experience for me.

BUT, all said in done, I changed out my oil, filter, sprockets, chain, tires, and a new right slider. I also bought gloves, grips, and bar ends which are soon to install. It's supposed to be 70 and sunny today through Tuesday, so I'm stoked. Here's what the final product looks like :)

View attachment 47449
View attachment 47450

By the way, Bike Bandit is doing great deals right now. 60% off jackets, 50% off helmets, free shipping on orders over 100$ - plus tons of other sales. Definitely worth checking out if anybody's in the market.